• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Large Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cspot

So in a week or so the large platform market has pretty much exploded. I think I have all the specs and prices below. Nice time to me in the market for a large platform.

OOAL Ridgerunner XL 15"x14" 5.2LBS- $179 plush shipping Available now
Novix/Trophyline Mission 17.9"x13.8" 5.4 lbs - $189 plus shipping Available next week? Also includes backpack straps.
Tethrd Predator 15"x14" 4 LBs - $189 Plus shipping. Available in a month?
LWCG Amush 16"x14" 4.82lbs - $299 plus shipping. Available?? Currently sold out

Ridge Runner XL
DSC_0044__03466.1594674443.JPG

Novix Mission
index.php

Tethrd Predator XL
073d532d110fbee7c82afbd8fc44b429.jpg

LWCG
saddle3_720x.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks. I didn’t know all those were available, or soon to be.
Do you have pics of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very happy with my predator but if I was interested in a bigger platform, the predator XL looks like the clear winner on paper. Will be fun to see how the reviews go with these.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I know some people got some big clodhoppers and they need to the extra room but the bigger platform movement seems counterintuitive to me.....to each their own
Yes to each their own. I plan on buying one of these above to use on all day rut hunts and late season when wearing alot of clothes. Early season I will be using my scout platform on top of a Beast stick. All just tools in the tool box.

I have started doing a pretty extensive workout and eating healthier to get in better shape. My goal by season is to drop 25 lbs from last season which I think I will hit.. If I do that I could carry a ladderstand in with me and it would be the equivalent weight. LOL.

I'm very happy with my predator but if I was interested in a bigger platform, the predator XL looks like the clear winner on paper. Will be fun to see how the reviews go with these.

I had the Predator and just recently sold it. I really liked it. Main reason I did was when OOAL came out with their XL I knew there would be at least 1 large platform available for this year at a decent price. I plan on using a Scout for early season and wanted to have a platform on each end of the size spectrum.

As far as clear winner I am not sure. The Mission has my attention as well as looking at the design I think it has a fair amount more surface area than the Predator XL. That is the 2 platforms that I will probably choose between unless something else pops up. Good time to be a consumer.

I know some people got some big clodhoppers and they need to the extra room but the bigger platform movement seems counterintuitive to me.....to each their own
The smaller platforms I have used make me keep my feet/knees together. I like a little spread as a sitter. So for me a ring of steps have been a joy compared to previously available platforms. I still use my predator gen1 but it’s when it offers an advantage over steps. Like when I know I’m hunting a leaning tree or the setup almost demands a weak side shot. I also use it if I’m using spurs to climb and I expect rain.
A wider platform would probably see more use.
As far as a large platform as counterintuitive maybe but a 4lb platform with a 1lb saddle is way more comfortable than any 6lb treestand and 2 lb safety harness on the market while still saving a few pounds.

I had the Predator and just recently sold it. I really liked it. Main reason I did was when OOAL came out with their XL I knew there would be at least 1 large platform available for this year at a decent price. I plan on using a Scout for early season and wanted to have a platform on each end of the size spectrum.

As far as clear winner I am not sure. The Mission has my attention as well as looking at the design I think it has a fair amount more surface area than the Predator XL. That is the 2 platforms that I will probably choose between unless something else pops up. Good time to be a consumer.
Fair point. It's fun to debate but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. The way my mind works, when you go over 5lbs for a saddle platform, you've left the saddle platform arena and are now making a micro treestand. The mission looks awesome, but it weighs almost as much as the LWCG .5 which is 23x16.5 with a seat. If I ever decide to go to a bigger platform, based on what I know today it will be the predator XL. The price and weight are right for a plus sized platform. But I made the switch to a saddle for three main reasons- to save weight, more comfort, safety. If someone doesnt care about 2lbs of extra weight, I could see why they might pick one of the other options.

I have started doing a pretty extensive workout and eating healthier to get in better shape. My goal by season is to drop 25 lbs from last season which I think I will hit.. If I do that I could carry a ladderstand in with me and it would be the equivalent weight. LOL.

Thats where my heads at.

I think the advantage of a saddle goes well beyond just weight savings. Comfort, position in relation to the tree, mover ability, packability, ease of set up. So if a bigger platform assists in executing those things than it probably doesn’t matter if the overall weight starts to creep up as the treestand sizes and weights continue to come down.

The smaller platforms I have used make me keep my feet/knees together. I like a little spread as a sitter. So for me a ring of steps have been a joy compared to previously available platforms. I still use my predator gen1 but it’s when it offers an advantage over steps. Like when I know I’m hunting a leaning tree or the setup almost demands a weak side shot. I also use it if I’m using spurs to climb and I expect rain.
A wider platform would probably see more use.
As far as a large platform as counterintuitive maybe but a 4lb platform with a 1lb saddle is way more comfortable than any 6lb treestand and 2 lb safety harness on the market while still saving a few pounds.
Nailed it. I have no use for a micro platform. If I want to be minimalist, I can spend the day on 3 steel bolts after climbing on 10 carbon ones. If I want to be comfortable, I'll carry the ambush. Either way, my nuts will get to breathe.

I wear size 15s, got half a mind to sell my ridge runner and get a ridge runner xl. It’s tough to turn around on that thing

Fair point. It's fun to debate but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. The way my mind works, when you go over 5lbs for a saddle platform, you've left the saddle platform arena and are now making a micro treestand. The mission looks awesome, but it weighs almost as much as the LWCG .5 which is 23x16.5 with a seat. If I ever decide to go to a bigger platform, based on what I know today it will be the predator XL. The price and weight are right for a plus sized platform. But I made the switch to a saddle for three main reasons- to save weight, more comfort, safety. If someone doesnt care about 2lbs of extra weight, I could see why they might pick one of the other options.

True. My main reason for going to a saddle is my fear of heights or fear of falling depending upon how you look at it. :tearsofjoy: As I have gotten older sitting in a hang on gives me a weird feeling.

For an all day rut hunt I will carry a little more weight for increased comfort. The tradeoff is worth it. I am struggling now to determine if the increased size of the Mission will outweigh the increase in weight over the Predator XL. .Really the only way to know is to buy both and see. :tearsofjoy:

Hey @cspot the Predator XL is free shipping. Tethrd is the only company that offers free shipping with saddles and platforms. Please correct.

Also... I don't really get the big platform craze. I suppose some bigger guys feel like they need it, but I know plenty of bigger hunters that don't.

I've never really been uncomfortable on any platform and I've used them all. The only time I've ever been uncomfortable is on a ROS. And even that is only if it's a long hunt in rubber boots. Solid sole boots make a big difference for me on a ring style platform.

In my opinion it should be about getting more experience with your system than buying bigger and heavier gear. Just my opinion.

At the same time, everyone is different so I suppose there's no right or wrong answer here.

If you like a big platform... Now you have options. Which is something that couldn't be said before 2018.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Hey @cspot the Predator XL is free shipping. Tethrd is the only company that offers free shipping with saddles and platforms. Please correct.

Also... I don't really get the big platform craze. I suppose some bigger guys feel like they need it, but I know plenty of bigger hunters that don't.

I've never really been uncomfortable on any platform and I've used them all. The only time I've ever been uncomfortable is on a ROS. And even that is only if it's a long hunt in rubber boots. Solid sole boots make a big difference for me on a ring style platform.

In my opinion it should be about getting more experience with your system than buying bigger and heavier gear. Just my opinion.

At the same time, everyone is different so I suppose there's no right or wrong answer here.

If you like a big platform... Now you have options. Which is something that couldn't be said before 2018.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Sorry. Didn't realize that. I fixed it.

Ohhh....r.o.s.

Definitely felt like that elephant. Nooooope. Not for me

Might as well make the post taller and put a seat on it. Buy a cheap used lightweight aluminum stand and have both options or spend a lot of money on a XL platform I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back