• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Late Season Deer Hunting in PA

bj139

I see the deer season is over in PA until after Christmas. I was thinking of going out at that time in WMU 5C. The online PA digest did not show archery season open for that time. I did find this press release from PA state which states archery is in season during this time. I could shoot bucks or does with archery. With a shotgun I can only shoot does. With a flintlock, I can shoot both. I would have to buy a muzzleloader license and my flintlock has had a ball and powder in it from 2 years ago. I would rather use my xbow since I know if I pull the trigger there is a near 100% chance it will fire. Not so with the flintlock. I wonder if the Supreme court would take the case to decide what is in season or not in PA. In the old days in PA it was not necessary to be a lawyer to be legal when hunting.
Here is the digest.

Wow I just looked at the book, that’s weird it says statewide then has contradicting dates for those wmus right below that?? Not very clear guidance..

Go get em bill! I’m up in centre county for the holidays and I’m gonna try and bag a doe with the recurve.
I was out walking the dog this week thinking the season was still open. I thought it was too cold and windy so I didn't go. If I had gone I probably would have shot a nice illegal 10 pointer only adding to my list of hunting troubles this year. Life sure is fun. :mask:

Looks like I’ll be going to 3C from what I could tell it’s archery only, either sex.

Looks like I’ll be going to 3C from what I could tell it’s archery only, either sex.
I think you need an antlerless permit for a doe.

They do state specifically the only time an antlered tag can be used for an anterless deer is using a flintlock and you must have a muzzleloader license. Wait, I have to consult my attorney.

I see the deer season is over in PA until after Christmas. I was thinking of going out at that time in WMU 5C. The online PA digest did not show archery season open for that time. I did find this press release from PA state which states archery is in season during this time. I could shoot bucks or does with archery. With a shotgun I can only shoot does. With a flintlock, I can shoot both. I would have to buy a muzzleloader license and my flintlock has had a ball and powder in it from 2 years ago. I would rather use my xbow since I know if I pull the trigger there is a near 100% chance it will fire. Not so with the flintlock. I wonder if the Supreme court would take the case to decide what is in season or not in PA. In the old days in PA it was not necessary to be a lawyer to be legal when hunting.
Here is the digest.
I'd think twice about touching off that flintlock if I was you. If that load has been in there for 2 years it might just blow up in your face.

I'd think twice about touching off that flintlock if I was you. If that load has been in there for 2 years it might just blow up in your face.
I wouldn't worry. I have read of ones that have been loaded for decades and fired fine. I have a medium amount of powder loaded.

I think you need an antlerless permit for a doe.

They do state specifically the only time an antlered tag can be used for an anterless deer is using a flintlock and you must have a muzzleloader license. Wait, I have to consult my attorney.
I guess you’re right, There website is confusing for me!

cc48a716cbda5d5c790f072797f26928.jpg

Here you go Bill. If you have muzzleloader and kill with a flintlock, your buck tag can be used for either antler or antlerless. No “doe” tag needed. If using archery tackle, you have to abide by your unused tag.

I haven’t had my flinter (Lyman trade rifle 50 cal) out in a couple years. Lent out my last of goex FF to a buddy. Maybe a trip to Dixon’s this coming week for some FF and a flinter hunt. That, or just take the crossbow out.

cc48a716cbda5d5c790f072797f26928.jpg

Here you go Bill. If you have muzzleloader and kill with a flintlock, your buck tag can be used for either antler or antlerless. No “doe” tag needed. If using archery tackle, you have to abide by your unused tag.

I haven’t had my flinter (Lyman trade rifle 50 cal) out in a couple years. Lent out my last of goex FF to a buddy. Maybe a trip to Dixon’s this coming week for some FF and a flinter hunt. That, or just take the crossbow out.
I was commenting on the intricacy of the law. I had already found out the press release allowed me to use my xbow which I will do. I have 3 doe tags so I can decide which I want to use with a flintlock. I have an unused tag for any occasion. :mask:

I was commenting on the intricacy of the law. I had already found out the press release allowed me to use my xbow which I will do. I have 3 doe tags so I can decide which I want to use with a flintlock. I have an unused tag for any occasion. :mask:

Yeah, reading the regs, they can be convoluted.

Good luck with the flinter and xbow!

I like to download the book to my phone, fishing and hunting, that way if johnny law comes calling and i am unknowingly doing something illegal, i can plead my case and say see it says such and such right here.

i did some scouting today, found a few beds, lots of tracks and a few good trees to get into. Good luck! I cant wait.

Here is the digest.
PA late Archery season opens December 26 till January 18th state wide. In special regs areas 2B, 5C and 5D late archery is December 26 till January 23. I live in 2B.

Back