• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leaving tether in tree

tmattson

Anyone leave their tethers in tress during hunting season?
I ask beacuse I left a tether in a tree a few weeks back, Oplux. Obviously will inspect it for any damage from some critter, but if looks good on visual inspection assume ok to continue to use?

Did it get wet? As inexpensive as they are, I would not risk it.... Just order a new one. My 2c

I've left mine before, if I was coming back that afternoon or the next morning. Now that I think back I've left mine in a tree for a week or two in my back yard while practice shooting from my platform, and then I hunted with it all last year. It's not Oplux though.
If there's no pysical damage I weight test my tether before unhooking from my lineman. I do this anyway, on every sit.

I’ll leave mine in the tree for 24hrs or less if I’m coming back to hunt the area, but no longer and I look it over before clipping in.

I left my bow hanging in the tree overnight when I was a stand hunter.
I take my tether when coming back in AM.
If conditions change, or a camera sends a monster and I need to switch plans I can. I have a spare set of stick and a ring of steps.

I personally wouldn’t. But on the other hand, if your rope is going to melt if it gets wet….you need to find a different rope. You should be able to leave it out overnight, inspect it for critter marks and be fine. UV rays would most likely be the reason not to leave your rope out, but that’s not really a problem at night.

If it looks fine, then you're okay. But I wouldn't make a habit out of leaving anything like that in a tree.

Leave a paracord loop in the tree if the tether is around a branch or crotch. They're cheap. I have left less expensive climbing ropes in the tree for a ladder stand, but looking back and seeing how often my paracord loops get chewed, it seemed like a crazy thing to do. Hard to inspect the line above you, plus the rope, and loop knot at height from the ground in the dark before climbing.

I've came down for lunch and left it a few times but a week no never I'd be worried someone would steal it

Back