• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leek breakfast sausage

Chimney7

bf31a45805f6d2d94f20a58c53701685.jpg

For any of you Appalachian types that not only like to process your own deer, but like to add a little something extra to your breakfast sausage, leeks/ramps can be found this time of year. Leeks typically go to seed around September-ish, don’t quote me on that, and they send up a little shoot that just breaks the ground surface. If you know exactly where to find them, you can go out starting around thanksgiving, ive never gone out earlier. When you get to your leek digging spot you have to brush away the leaves and you will see little green tips coming out of the ground in clumps, those are leeks. When they’re small they are way more potent than they are in April when they’re green. A little goes along way. I added a 1/4 cup to a 5lb batch.

The last few years I’ve gotten leeks in April, made breakfast sausage with deer parts that I froze in anticipation of making sausage and then refroze. Sometimes it’s great and sometimes like last years it sucks. I’m not a fan of freezing more than once, so i decided this year to make it a point to get some leeks when I went to my hometown in north central PA for the rifle opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back