• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leg straps remove them or not ??

redhawk

I have been thinking of modifying my Kestrel with cutting the leg straps off to drop some weight, and because they seem to just get in the way as I climb. Is there any real benefit to keeping them? I know everyone has to take personal responsibility for their own gear and how they mod them, but I see lots of folks on here that remove them. What are your thoughts?

resell value is the only pro to me on not cutting i havent used leg straps in two years

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Probably a personal preference thing but how much weight are you really cutting by removing them?

I thought after 2 seasons I didn't need my leg straps, so for ha ha"s I rolled them up and taped them to the back of my saddle. Well, I never practiced without them, I had to roll to the weak side to get an arrow into a nice buck at 17 yds from 25 feet in the tree. When I did the saddle rode up to the bottom of my ribs interfering with my draw and my ability to get on target. From now on it's leg straps for me. I want a stable connection to the tree. So that's, tether to the tree, tether to the bridge, bridge to the saddle, and saddle to my body. No guessing what my twisted body is going to do to the saddle position on my body. If you do take them off it's your call but don't assume the practice you did with them on will be the same as with them off. Practice with them off extensively before you hunt with them off. IMO.

Last edited:
I like to keep them on. I loosen them up when I am at hunting height though.

In my debate to remove the leg straps , I have been thinking of getting some Ghooks like tethrds and use them instead of the bulky medal ones. Any idea how to get the buckles off with out cutting the strap or buckle??

I thought after 2 seasons I didn't need my leg straps, so for ha ha"s I rolled them up and taped them to the back of my saddle. Well, I never practiced without them, I had to roll to the weak side to get an arrow into a nice buck at 17 yds from 25 feet in the tree. When I did the saddle rode up to the bottom of my ribs interfering with my draw and my ability to get on target. From now on it's leg straps for me. I want a stable connection to the tree. So that's, tether to the tree, tether to the bridge, bridge to the saddle, and saddle to my body. No guessing what my twisted body is going to do to the saddle position on my body. If you do take them it's your call but don't assume the practice you did with them on will be the same as with them off. Practice with them off extensively before you hunt with them off. IMO.

This is what scares me about removing leg straps. I have tried to simulate various falls and the saddle always stays in place but, in a real fall, even a short one, there are forces we experience and our bodies contort into positions that we can't simulate. I would hate to slip off my platform and be hanging with my saddle around my armpits.

This is what scares me about removing leg straps. I have tried to simulate various falls and the saddle always stays in place but, in a real fall, even a short one, there are forces we experience and our bodies contort into positions that we can't simulate. I would hate to slip off my platform and be hanging with my saddle around my armpits.

If your waist belt is tight, your saddle isnt going anywhere. And it would be almost impossible to fall out of it

I cut the legs straps off of my mantis, mostly just because I didnt use them and I got tired of them being in the way.

I dont understand why some feel the leg straps get in the way. Of what? Your front pockets? Stay safe, wear cargo pants.

You would never find a rock climber cutting their leg straps.

I cut mine off. I keep my tether low, about nipple high and my bridge is 18" I think it's because of this I can do a 360 degree turn in my saddle.

I dont understand why some feel the leg straps get in the way. Of what? Your front pockets? Stay safe, wear cargo pants.

You would never find a rock climber cutting their leg straps.

They are just obnoxious. Ive cut them off of every saddle ive ever had. In the case of the mantis they arent weight bearing, so they dont offer any significant safety value IMO.

If your waist belt is tight, your saddle isnt going anywhere. And it would be almost impossible to fall out of it

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Even with a tight waist belt, the couple of thousands of pounds of force that can be generated in even a short fall could, in the right circumstances, have your saddle at your armpits almost instantly.

I will agree with you that non-weight bearing leg straps don't offer a significant value though. Everyone can do what their comfortable with but, personally I like my saddle to have weight bearing leg straps.

For me, since I wear my saddle in, the leg straps were just getting in the way. I dont notice a difference when Im in the tree between leg straps vs no leg straps. Like BLT said, to each their own.

Back