• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Leg Straps

stevethebreeze

Ok, I'm new here so forgive me if this has been discussed a bazillion times. I searched for a thread to try not and repeat the beating of a dead horse.

My question is this, Are leg straps needed? What are their purpose? Ive seen sit drags, saddles, harnesses, DIY's. Some have leg straps, some dont.

Just trying to tap into your knowledge and experiences before I order my first one.

I can only speak for myself but I have used my (H2) with and without the leg straps. The straps for me definitely help keep my butt from sliding down out of the saddle. Take it for what its worth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

So your saying mainly for keeping the saddle in place?

That makes sense, especially if you fall asleep. lol
If the saddle can slide off your butt then it can slide up around your chest under your arms or even potentially totally off of you, cracked ribs would be best case scenario if that happened under even a minor fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ive used HSS safety harness but thankfully never had to put it to the test 25 feet in the air but I did try it at ground level just to make sure it worked. That was years ago when I first got it. Didnt really notice the legs straps importance since the HSS has straps all over your upper body other than they cinched up under stress around the ol twig and berrys.

Thanks guys for the input!

The biggest thing that I noticed from the Recon sling (saddle that lots of people used without leg straps) is that when I climbed the tree and wanted to get closer to the tree with my linemans belt. I was not able to use my hips to straighten myself up as I pulled the slack out of the line. Without the leg straps the saddle stays where its at as you turn within it (if that makes sense). As far as safety goes, you will certainly feel safer with the leg loops. I tried one sticking with a recon and a modified sitdrag set up and it was cumbersome, uneasy, and unsafe to me. With a saddle like a Aerohunter kite, I felt confident in my manuevers and the safety the saddle provided. If I was only climbing standard sticks and sitting in a saddle I would feel plenty comfortable and safe with no leg loops.

Rock climbing harness manufacturers state that the waistbelt should be tight enough to not go down below your hips or above your ribcage. Leg straps are for comfortable sitting. I always have such a waistbelt on any saddle I use. I have a saddle where the waistbelt has been cut off but I bought it that way and haven't had it up a tree.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm new here so forgive me if this has been discussed a bazillion times. I searched for a thread to try not and repeat the beating of a dead horse.

My question is this, Are leg straps needed? What are their purpose? Ive seen sit drags, saddles, harnesses, DIY's. Some have leg straps, some dont.

Just trying to tap into your knowledge and experiences before I order my first one.
Search Leg straps by member Kurt

I've been trying to find info on the necessity of leg straps...

Some believe they are not necessary at all.
Some believe they are necessary, but only to keep the saddle in place.
Some believe they are necessary, and should be fall rated.

I can understand all 3 points of view, especially when factoring in that everyone likely climbs and hunts differently.

For example, if one climbs with multiple sticks and a lineman belt, then primarily sits at hunting height, I could see how leg straps seem useless.

If one climbs with multiple sticks and a lineman belt, then primarily leans at hunting height, I could see how leg straps seem necessary only to keep the saddle from riding up into wedgie territory.

If one climbs using the One-Stick method, I could see how fall rated leg straps seem necessary. What if you are One-Sticking, slip and fall straight down in a vertical orientation?

In this case, I could see where most of the force could be transferred to the leg straps. Are G hooks or unrated buckles good enough in this scenario? I don't know the answer... But would like to find out.

EDIT: I would like to find out, but not through personal experience. Preferably via independent testing. :laughing: o_O

I've been trying to find info on the necessity of leg straps...

Some believe they are not necessary at all.
Some believe they are necessary, but only to keep the saddle in place.
Some believe they are necessary, and should be fall rated.

I can understand all 3 points of view, especially when factoring in that everyone likely climbs and hunts differently.

For example, if one climbs with multiple sticks and a lineman belt, then primarily sits at hunting height, I could see how leg straps seem useless.

If one climbs with multiple sticks and a lineman belt, then primarily leans at hunting height, I could see how leg straps seem necessary only to keep the saddle from riding up into wedgie territory.

If one climbs using the One-Stick method, I could see how fall rated leg straps seem necessary. What if you are One-Sticking, slip and fall straight down in a vertical orientation?

In this case, I could see where most of the force could be transferred to the leg straps. Are G hooks or unrated buckles good enough in this scenario? I don't know the answer... But would like to find out.

EDIT: I would like to find out, but not through personal experience. Preferably via independent testing. :laughing: o_O

Problem is it is tough to test all of the ways that a person's body could contort in all of the million different ways a hunter could fall.

You have three opinions listed above. The way I look at it is: What is the potential outcome if each of those opinions are wrong? The first two opinions being wrong could result in death. The third opinion being wrong means I have mildly annoying leg straps that I don't need. Choosing between those outcomes is a no-brainer for me.

If this question was answered by people that have been using a saddle for more than 2 years, I'd bet the answer would be a resounding no.

Sorry, I have been using a saddle for more than two years and I know lots of other 2+ year saddle hunters that use leg straps. Many of them that think leg straps should also be load rated.

Sorry, I have been using a saddle for more than two years and I know lots of other 2+ year saddle hunters that use leg straps. Many of them that think leg straps should also be load rated.

We will have to agree to disagree. I've hunted out of a saddle off and on since 2008, I've not used the leg straps on any of my saddles. If it make you more comfortable that's fine, to each their own.

I don't care for them, have one sticked a few times in the yard. Haven't had any issues yet. I didn't cut them off in case I decide to use them again or sell the saddle.

We will have to agree to disagree. I've hunted out of a saddle off and on since 2008, I've not used the leg straps on any of my saddles. If it make you more comfortable that's fine, to each their own.

I agree that most people could go their entire lives and never need them. You could fall 1000 times and 999 times leg straps won't make a difference. But since I don't find leg straps to be any type of hindrance, I'll make sure I have them for that one time they might. But, we can agree to disagree.

I have a rock climbing book that says a waist belt that cannot go over your hips is designed to stop a fall and legs straps are there for comfort when you fall. Another saddlehunter who says he is involved in industrial climbing safety has stated a waistbelt that cannot go over your hips is required. Every rock climbing harness I have seen with the user level says the waistbelt should be tightened so it cannot go over your hips. Since some saddles don't have this or the waistbelt is sometimes worn on the hips, leg loops may help in certain falls. I use a waistbelt and no leg loops on DIY saddles.

I have used leg straps in the past and they always seem to squish poncho and lefty. The leg loops eliminate the possibility of the saddle going above your arms in the case of a fall. I would suggest using the loops if they are available, but wear them loose for comfort. If you need that extra reassurance, wear them tighter. I spoke with John Eberhart years ago, and he said he cut his leg loops off of his trophyline. At first I thought he was insane, now I understand and I am much more comfortable without them. I have hunted out of a saddle now for 13 years or so, now if I am hunting from a diy saddle, if it has leg loops they are very loose; now all of my newer saddles do not have leg loops...........but don’t take my word for it. Do what makes you more comfortable.

My primary saddle is an Aero Hunter with rated leg straps. I always use them. I have since purchased a different brand saddle to try out and the leg straps are not rated.

I am wondering if they would hold in the event of a straight down, vertical orientation fall. I often wonder the same about the leg straps with G hooks.

It's not a matter of whether I would use them or not. Moreso a matter of how much force can they withstand before failing... And could you ever actually exert that much force on them?

Back