• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lesser Known History

i guess this could just be a post with links to interesting historical articles, maybe that would give a chance for someone to learn a bit about it and see if they want to dig into it further. or at least kinda describe the lesser known history.

ill give one, and i while i discovered it because of the current political climate, i dont want a political discussion to come from it, so just take it for the historical story it is, please.

General Washington mandated smallpox inoculations for his troops, against the wishes of many in congress, the troops being less susceptible to smallpox may very well have been a huge contributing factor to the Continental Army victory, as many less were lost to disease

You like to read about history and mystery? Read up on the Mitch Rompola buck if you haven’t already, interesting to say the least....

His hunting style (or alleged hunting style) was pretty unique, running scent lines almost like a trapper.

It will be interesting when a new typical WR green lights his buck for reexamination.

You like to read about history and mystery? Read up on the Mitch Rompola buck if you haven’t already, interesting to say the least....
i guess im not getting it from what im reading, why is there controversy over his buck and do people doubt it? seems that the guy is a credible enough hunter with other huge whitetails on record

edit: one of the guys who even handled the deer in question was a conservation officer too

That's my people. Polish refugees who got rounded up into gulags, then begrudgingly let go by Stalin when they partnered up with the Allies. They got moved out to Iran. Then India. Then to America. Yay, right?! Nope. They were put into a Japanese American internment camp, surrounded by barbed wire again. Then they got bounced to Mexico, where the finally found something like a home.

It always frustrates me that their story never makes it big time. They got the shaft from literally everybody involved in WW2. The Germans made their fighting-age men unwilling soldiers, at least the ones that didn't get murdered as resistance fighters during the takeover. The women were taken as breeding stock to make lots of blue-eyed and blonde-haired Aryan babies. If you weren't useful to fight or breed, you went to a concentration camp. Auschwitz was primarily a Polish camp. Then the Soviets took over and sent the survivors to gulags to die. Then FDR told Stalin, "We can't be allies and have this going on, the American public won't stand for it." But we didn't want anything to do with them because they sounded and looked German and Russian!!

I love a good Polak joke, but it's kinda sick and sad when you realize that the reason Poles got the reputation for ignorance is because Hitler killed the prominent intellectuals early on, and then basically wrote the country and the people out of the books and mandated that they had no need for an education that went beyond being able to spell their name and count. I mull over the sadness of the situation periodically while I listen to and drink some Chopin.

i guess im not getting it from what im reading, why is there controversy over his buck and do people doubt it? seems that the guy is a credible enough hunter with other huge whitetails on record

Some say his deer were pen raised. Some say the rack was frankensteined. Some say he was payed off by Milo's group not to allow it to be scrutinized and crowned. All that...and more.

It would be the World Record if it's all true. And yet, I bet a large number of avid and interested sportsman haven't heard of this buck.

edit: one of the guys who even handled the deer in question was a conservation officer too
Keep reading, it is a lengthy and usually debated subject, I remember when the magazine with him on the cover showed up at my parents house when I still lived at home, you will like it, lots of turns and twists to this story.

Some say his deer were pen raised. Some say the rack was frankensteined. Some say he was payed off by Milo's group not to allow it to be scrutinized and crowned. All that...and more.
You remember Plebe when he shot it supposedly, I do, I wanted to know everything about that buck lol

That's my people. Polish refugees who got rounded up into gulags, then begrudgingly let go by Stalin when they partnered up with the Allies. They got moved out to Iran. Then India. Then to America. Yay, right?! Nope. They were put into a Japanese American internment camp, surrounded by barbed wire again. Then they got bounced to Mexico, where the finally found something like a home.

It always frustrates me that their story never makes it big time. They got the shaft from literally everybody involved in WW2. The Germans made their fighting-age men unwilling soldiers, at least the ones that didn't get murdered as resistance fighters during the takeover. The women were taken as breeding stock to make lots of blue-eyed and blonde-haired Aryan babies. If you weren't useful to fight or breed, you went to a concentration camp. Auschwitz was primarily a Polish camp. Then the Soviets took over and sent the survivors to gulags to die. Then FDR told Stalin, "We can't be allies and have this going on, the American public won't stand for it." But we didn't want anything to do with them because they sounded and looked German and Russian!!

I love a good Polak joke, but it's kinda sick and sad when you realize that the reason Poles got the reputation for ignorance is because Hitler killed the prominent intellectuals early on, and then basically wrote the country and the people out of the books and mandated that they had no need for an education that went beyond being able to spell their name and count. I mull over the sadness of the situation periodically while I listen to and drink some Chopin.
there was a ton of real shady stuff to go down during and after ww2, most of which just became local legends because they were wrote out of contemporary history, but the locals still know

Frederick "effing" Chopin (favorite quote from the all time greatest movie ever, Tombstone) wrote a lot of his music as a huge middle finger to the forces that marginalized and eventually decimated his homeland. If you listen to his stuff it's very distinct, with a lot of Polish lullabies and folk tune melodies "snuck in." You know you're a badazz kinda composer when Nazis and Communists burn your recordings and smash your piano while condemning you as the music of the Resistance. Rage against the Machine? Nah. Give me a good nocturne!

You remember Plebe when he shot it supposedly, I do, I wanted to know everything about that buck lol

Absolutely I do.

This was only a couple years after I saw a buck that ended up being a state record, so I had an idea of the size of his deer.

Years later I was relocated to MI and lived in the county where Rompola allegedly took this buck. There was still talk and behind the scenes work going on to validate / invalidate the buck supposedly.

There was some wicked wilderness here and there that folks weren't really penetrating, so I always hoped it was all true and I'd stumble into something massive. But I never saw a big buck there and the biggest buck I ever saw hunting in MI was in a different county altogether, and probably 140s tops.

The Rompola story still fascinates me. The buck, how he hunted, the whole deal.

Back