• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LiDar Maps

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Who can tell me how to access, view, and use the data? I found and downloaded some stuff on the NOAA site for my area, but all I have to show for it is a bunch of grainy, black and white images that are useless. Assuming I need something better than a photo viewing software to make it so.

Do you have global mapper, ARCgis or some sort of GIS software?

Todd Perkins
-Regional Prostaff Manager for Mossy Oak
-Trophyline Treesaddle Brand Ambassador
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have global mapper, ARCgis or some sort of GIS software?

Todd Perkins
I do not. I would be extremely beholden to anyone who could show me the ropes. Or at least point me towards the software so I could monkey my way through it this summer.

I use global mapper for work all the time. I really like it. Not sure on the cost, but I think it’s kinda pricey? The data is free though from The National Map downloaded website. I’m not familiar with ARC and I don’t know if there are any free software options out there. If you had global mapper, I could tell you how I do some things, right or wrong. Lol

Todd Perkins

Jumping on this thread. While I can’t help you, you can try looking up your state maps on Alabama’s government site and see what they are using. I have not found lidar, but I did find 5ft DEM for A state I hunt. Florida didn’t have DEM that I could find. No much to see here but I am looking to find the subtle 3-5 ft humps in swamps. I don’t know exactly what the DEM is, I could research, I’m far from a tech guy, but it’s sweet if your state has it

Only way I found could use Lidar files was with government equipment to make them really stand out. Buddy in Mississippi used his govt stuff to help me out before going to Iowa.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jumping on this thread. While I can’t help you, you can try looking up your state maps on Alabama’s government site and see what they are using. I have not found lidar, but I did find 5ft DEM for A state I hunt. Florida didn’t have DEM that I could find. No much to see here but I am looking to find the subtle 3-5 ft humps in swamps. I don’t know exactly what the DEM is, I could research, I’m far from a tech guy, but it’s sweet if your state has it

Yeah, all I've found is the 7.5 minute topo. Nothing good.

I'm digging into it this summer. There's a guy selling the maps already done, but I can't afford to buy tens of thousands of acres of maps from him. The stuff he has shown me is unreal though.
Agree ive never seen anything like it even close. I had many maps he gave me for when I was in Iowa for 2 weeks. The detail was unlike anything I ever seen

I'm digging into it this summer. There's a guy selling the maps already done, but I can't afford to buy tens of thousands of acres of maps from him. The stuff he has shown me is unreal though.
See if he can send in PDF and then see if you lose clarity or detail once you open.

I use DEM data some for poking around but had to download the whole grid for my area then use a key to find the specific blocks I want. Took a while to figure out

You can use caltopo.com. Then select the "Normal" option under "Shaded Relief" on the pull down menu for layers.

One of my second tasks is GIS and Cartography. I have several ESRI products as well as some commercial Trimble datasets. If you want, you can send me the files and I can see what they look best in and find the free viewer for that platform.
always89y@gmail.com

One of my second tasks is GIS and Cartography. I have several ESRI products as well as some commercial Trimble datasets. If you want, you can send me the files and I can see what they look best in and find the free viewer for that platform.
always89y@gmail.com
I really appreciate the offer. I may have to take you up on it. Right now I'm furiously reading up on the stuff trying to figure out what I'm doing. I'm a pee on the electric fence for himself kinda guy, unfortunately.

getting your DEM image draped in the surface in google earth is pretty cool too.
4c9a45f9f3f83857c55a90f576a4c94c.jpg

Todd Perkins

Back