• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lighter knot

Weldabeast

SH Member
Ahhh...fooled ya. No ropes here

I met a guy from Wisconsin over the weekend at this kids birthday party and we just talking about random stuff...the park was nice and wooded and by the picnic tables there was the stump of an old jumbo pine tree. I'm kicking pieces off as we talking and he is not understanding what's going on. I explain I'm knocking chunks of fat light off to take home....long story short he had never heard of it and his mind was blown. He was an outdoorsman with more experience than me....so I been thinking about that all weekend now... I'm assuming it's a regional thing? U yankee saddle swingers know what this is I'm talking about or was this guy just a retard? Fat light, lighter knot, pine knot, fatwood....gots lots of names

Pine pitch? Great fire starter. Never heard it called that though.

Ahhh...fooled ya. No ropes here

I met a guy from Wisconsin over the weekend at this kids birthday party and we just talking about random stuff...the park was nice and wooded and by the picnic tables there was the stump of an old jumbo pine tree. I'm kicking pieces off as we talking and he is not understanding what's going on. I explain I'm knocking chunks of fat light off to take home....long story short he had never heard of it and his mind was blown. He was an outdoorsman with more experience than me....so I been thinking about that all weekend now... I'm assuming it's a regional thing? U yankee saddle swingers know what this is I'm talking about or was this guy just a retard? Fat light, lighter knot, pine knot, fatwood....gots lots of names
Why are you listing all your stage names on the forum here?

This guy was awestruck so maybe he just a retard and was making up all his stories about his woodsmanship skills....I got him a big chunk to take home.

Are we about to accumulate an unofficial list of all the different names a sap infused stick could be called?

There are a surprising number of people who may be excellent hunters or “woodsmen” who have never had to worry about heating their home or knowing how to start a fire. My whole
life pretty much my grandparents, my parents and now my wife and I have burned firewood to heat our home. I’m no survival expert by any means but I can start a fire pretty much anywhere. Maybe I’m just a pyro !! I can tell you with complete certainty, about this time of year I’m getting real tired of firewood!!!

And I’m gonna have to get even more into it as our greenie weenie state is outlawing natural gas heat by 2035! Do not move to NY!!!
That’s crazy! I work in the HVAC field and that blows my mind however the push for electric and green it makes sense that NY would be a leader among the states.

I know when I burned wood come late March I was getting burned out myself. It’s a lot of work that is satisfying.

Now with my NY approved super duper high efficiency heat pump I spend too little to bust my hump anymore chopping wood. Don’t tell them I still use LP as a backup though

This guy was awestruck so maybe he just a retard and was making up all his stories about his woodsmanship skills....I got him a big chunk to take home.

Are we about to accumulate an unofficial list of all the different names a sap infused stick could be called?
Can’t say I remember it being called a name but we just call it fire starter.

I've heard it called pine pitch and by some other name that escapes me at the moment. I've never used it though.

Yeah, all these modern gas grills and even fire starter fluid have taken away the need for pine pitch to get a good ole charcoal fire started.... I guess you can tell if someone has never watched Alone, cuz that stuff features heavily on the show, and others.

We had gasoline to play with as kids, so we didn't have to get creative, lol.
Man if my daddy caught me trying to use his lawnmower gas to start a fire….. ouch :sweatsmile:

we did find an old barrel of what I am assuming was fermented corn mash, hidden in the woods close to our house one time…. That lit up pretty darn good.

I accidently started a smallish forest fire when I was little with a magnifying glass....I got worn out for that 1...and there was an inflated basketball nearby that caught on fire and when it popped a liquidy piece of flaming rubber landed on my back burning the tar outta me....burned and whipped but still a fond memory.

Back