• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lightweight camping

Waylon mark

Ordered a dutcware chameleon with beetle buckle system with symmetrical bugnet and moonlight top cover, ordered a Eddie bauer's down throw for a DIY under quilt .looking at a warbonnet superfly for the tarp I just dont know if I need the 11 or 13 ' version .kind of excited i never hammock camped and with spring coming up and catfish starting the run soon I'm ready to spend some nights on a clay bank stringing out hooks

My wife and I bought a few full ENO kits several years ago on a trip to CO. I will never sleep in a tent again! Just need to add an underquilt to really be comfy at colder temps.

Make sure to get a tarp with doors and at least 10 ft wide, otherwise you'll get wet. Also make sure to get a dyneema or polyester tarp not nylon. Nylon will stretch and you'll have to re-adjust your tarp lines in the middle of the night. The superfly is a great tarp. Just get the silpoly and not the nylon. Oh yeah, an 11 ft tarp is fine. If my memory is correct the structural ridgeline that comes with the chameleon is 110" so that will give you roughly a foot on each end with an 11 ft tarp.

Last edited:
I assume you are on Hammock Forums, right? Lots of good info there.
11’ Ridgeline tarp is fine for the Chameleon.

I assume you are on Hammock Forums, right? Lots of good info there.
11’ Ridgeline tarp is fine for the Chameleon.
No I am not but I will check this out ,thank you for your reply to the question ,I will probably call them monday anyhow

I have a 12x10 silnylon tarp I made that’s going on 8 years now and it hasn’t gotten “stretchy”, but there’s some great materials available now that weren’t available when I made mine

Make sure to get a tarp with doors and at least 10 ft wide, otherwise you'll get wet. Also make sure to get a dyneema or polyester tarp not nylon. Nylon will stretch and you'll have to re-adjust your tarp lines in the middle of the night. The superfly is a great tarp. Just get the silpoly and not the nylon. Oh yeah, an 11 ft tarp is fine. If my memory is correct the structural ridgeline that comes with the chameleon is 110" so that will give you roughly a foot on each end with an 11 ft tarp.

So cool the amount & variety of knowledge our fellow SH brothers have

This & willingness to help each other is what makes this forum great

Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point on the doors. I didn’t see doors into mine, but I did take “doors” into account. I sewed my attachments in such a way that allowed me to use the material beyond the attachments as a door.

This is just the tarp itself to give a view from the outside.....

29d632e012fdfd1334d7100c62d1c741.jpg

This is from the inside in the middle of a turkey hunt. Rain was in the forecast and I planned to cover some distance so I tossed my hammock and tarp in my backpack and carried them with me....

2f6faa1a6594cecf6b943047487f428c.jpg

I did make the call the set up the hammock and this was when I heard a bird gobble a couple hundred yards away.....

a15209a223ec847fa33530bed5fbb3d2.jpg

I carry a #65 back pack which includes my two man Marmot tent.
I was once excited about hammocks but as I looked into it I decided to stick with my tent.
It gets cold in the Rockies after Labor day.

About 5 years ago my older brother packed in with me and to my surprise, as we made camp he sets up a very nice hammock. I can't remember the brand.
I asked if he was sure of his set up and he said he was prepared. I had my doubts.
It was not a pleasant trip for me in terms of having to share my tent with him for the week.
That first night he came over and let himself in as he tossed my stuff out of the tent so he could lay down.
He was shivering and I dozed off to the sound of chattering teeth, in my trusty dome tent..

Try as I may my pack average is just over #60 and that's not including the Ambush and saddle I'm taking this year.

Dang man, I would have to be planning on being away from the truck for 8 days to carry a 65# pack.

I have the chameleon also. Warbonnet superfly, under quilt and top quilt. 8 nights in the Rockies elk hunting last year, no problem except I didn’t have my top quilt yet. People hammock camp piled up in snow. You just need to learn your system. As far as tarp stretch, all my tie outs have a loop of bungee between the tarp and line. It keeps it taught all night and protects your tarp if someone trips over your tie out. Also get reflective timeouts. It’s a great system. Not a huge savings on weight, if any, compared to ultra light tents, but I’ll never sleep on the ground again if I don’t have too.

Yeah the stretch in nylon isn't necessarily a big deal. It just stretches a bit more than poly when it gets wet. This isn't some new discovery. I'm not even sure that Dutchware offers nylon tarps anymore.

Has anyone made there own under quilt from scratch materials? I just got a sewing machine so I am trying to line up some projects for it.

Has anyone made there own under quilt from scratch materials? I just got a sewing machine so I am trying to line up some projects for it.
I bought a tarp kit to make a superfly but decided to buy one and then make the kit for my son but never got around to it. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/?rfsn=2981968.3590a has the kits and supplies for all diy hammocks stuff.

I made mine, but not from scratch. Shoot me a PM if you’d like to know more and I’ll shorten the learning curve as best I can for you.

yes I made mine it was my very first project, just finished my tarp from the same materials it's turned out great can't wait to get out again, I love the hammock, I keep meaning to make a warbonnet but saddle stuff is getting in the way lol. I will find some pictures for you
,regards wayne
Mark good luck hope you like it,regards

Hammock camping is the way to go in my area (southeast). No better way to stay warm, dry and comfy. I am a big fan of my snugpack cocoon, aquasil tarp, and wind sock from dutchware. Still use one of the first eno's I ever bought. First hammock camped with my hippy girlfriend in one of those brightly colored thread ones over 20 years ago. Promptly got an eno when they came out and never looked back.

Back