• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Limb trimming accident (update)

Outdoorsman33

Well today was the day I was going in for the kill on a big buck I seen yesterday evening. The day before watched 4 nice shooter bucks and one monster from 80 yards away travel through this one patch of weeds and just watched in amazement as 6 total deer walked through this same patch. So today I go in at 11 to prep a tree and get setup in the killing tree is what I’m hoping. So I had to trim a few limbs and twigs to get up and in doing so I had a mishap that could’ve been avoided very easy with common sense. I was trimming one twig and was cutting towards my hand and the saw broke through the twig quicker than anticipated and went into my thumb while I was on the down stroke of cutting. 5 stitches later I’m fixed some what I was caught up in the moment was so ready to get setup and just rushed and bam. I just want to remind others accidents happen in a blink of an eye luckily mine wasn’t life threatening but just like that it can be. I have a kit I usually keep with me but ditched it trying to cut bulk and I’ll tell you after today some sort of kit will be with me from now. I made do with a hair tie some leftover poop paper and an ace bandage but the early walk out wasn’t one I was hoping for. Be safe out there guys a deer of any sort isn’t worth getting hurt over always take your time and use common sense (or gloves) E7DA9C3E-B442-4895-81AD-7A4AFB15DB40.jpeg6265AC39-04E6-4B69-AAB8-5459436B0E47.jpeg

Aww man just put some super glue in your pack and keep getting it done!! No but in all seriousness we need to make safety our first concern no matter what we are doing! Thanks for the reminder and be safe brother!!

Aww man just put some super glue in your pack and keep getting it done!! No but in all seriousness we need to make safety our first concern no matter what we are doing! Thanks for the reminder and be safe brother!!
Super glue and a small stapler may have been just added to Christmas wish list.

Ouch! Thanks for the reminder that we all need once in a while. You still able to hunt? I hope so as I have been sidelined completely both this season and last by injury. I know how much it sucks :rage:

Ouch! Thanks for the reminder that we all need once in a while. You still able to hunt? I hope so as I have been sidelined completely both this season and last by injury. I know how much it sucks :rage:
Won’t hunt for a week or so sucks that I had my best season so far and also the best hunt of my life the day before. Just sucks knowing our rut is coming within the next week and just eats me up that those bucks may be gone by the time I’m able to go back. But it’s no ones fault but mine.

Won’t hunt for a week or so sucks that I had my best season so far and also the best hunt of my life the day before. Just sucks knowing our rut is coming within the next week and just eats me up that those bucks may be gone by the time I’m able to go back. But it’s no ones fault but mine.
Well,Chin up. At least your season is still on. Mine ended on Dec.12th without me firing a shot. Good luck.

What kind of saw are you running? That is a gnarly cut for a saw!!

Glad your ok . I know what you mean about accidents happening in a blink of an eye. 4 years ago I was at work and later that day I was being life flighted to a hospital. Bad things can happen fast. Stay safe everyone.

I’d actually go hunt

Keep it covered , clean it the best u can, keep it out of swamp water and use a rubber glove when cleaning ur buck

Antibiotics next week if it has issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d actually go hunt

Keep it covered , clean it the best u can, keep it out of swamp water and use a rubber glove when cleaning ur buck

Antibiotics next week if it has issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would but where it’s at on my thumb I can’t grip anything with my left hand that’s also my bow hand. Trust me as much as I hate it I just can’t hunt till the stitches come out the cut actually goes down to the bone over my thumb joint ( little concern I chipped the bone joint there). I’ve already made one stitch pull through the skin by just moving my thumb inwards trying to hold a bag. Rather miss a week or so rather than a month or more for busting it back open or infection. It just eats me up at how stupid I got and ruined what I was hoping was gonna be the evening I got a chance at a nice one.

Bummer, but glad it wasn’t worse, and appreciate you sharing the incident.

Wasn’t nearly that bad but probably should’ve got a stitch or two. Been wearing this scratch for about 11 years now, can almost see that it was just 2 teeth that ran along the finger. Pretty well used Silky Gomtaro went through a cheap mechanic glove before it got me.
I think it’ll be gone in another 10 years maybe.
3B0DC7AF-8CAC-4484-A1D5-CA106D9A9618.jpeg

Also made me realize too try and also always have atleast 1 or more people know where you’re gonna be at when you hunt. I don’t care if you think someone will steal your spot or whatever. If this would’ve happened and I’d been in a real bind it’s not telling how long or if someone would found me that day. I was just over a mile away from my 4-wheeler in terrain that is so thick and monotonous that you’d had to walked within 20 yards of me to find me in over a few thousand acres and if I’d fell off the tree and hit the ground no telling how closed you’d have to be then. This may seem like something really minor to some but I was the guy who never and still never told anyone even close to where I was gonna be at when I hunt too the point when I walk in out of habit I’d walk in thicker grass instead of bear dirt so no one could catch my tracks. Guys just be safe out there don’t throw common sense out the window some common sense may save a finger or your life some day.

Bummer, but glad it wasn’t worse, and appreciate you sharing the incident.

Wasn’t nearly that bad but probably should’ve got a stitch or two. Been wearing this scratch for about 11 years now, can almost see that it was just 2 teeth that ran along the finger. Pretty well used Silky Gomtaro went through a cheap mechanic glove before it got me.
I think it’ll be gone in another 10 years maybe.
View attachment 41463
Id like to say this was my only scar from an accident that involved a sharp object and my finger. But I feel this will be one of many more to come. I’d hate to know what and expensive hand saw would’ve done to my hand vs the cheap one I have.

Pulled a similar stunt when I was a teenager running a bow saw cutting brush for a duck blind. Saw went diagonally across index, middle and ring finger on my left hand. Mine wasnt quite that deep so we just duck taped it up and went on about finishing the job. Left a heck of a blood trail though LOL. We did have a first aid kit so dad poured alcohol all over it and then iodine before the tape. Dont think I have ever had a hand under a blade since then.

I did a similar stupid thing earlier this year. I was trimming limbs on a pine tree on my way up. It was ‘the tree’ that I needed to be in that day.
I had probably already sawed through 10 or 12 limbs. I was about a foot or two from being at the right height for my shooting windows. Instead of cutting the last branch that I needed to cut, I tried to just break it with a sharp blow with my fist. It broke, but somehow my fist recoiled and caught a sharp edge of the stub and sliced my hand wide open. As I was trying to stop the bleeding, a doe walked 10 yards broadside in front of me. My bow was still on the ground. That doe went in the woods and a minute later, another one stood at the edge of the woods blowing at me as I tried to raise my bow. Two deer came out later that evening (I think the same two deer), but stayed 50 plus yards away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a slight cut with my Silky Zubat which showed me how dangerous they can be. I keep my off hand away from the blade now. A member here told me to just rub some dirt in it but I used coconut oil instead. It was mostly healed in a week. It is a good time of the year for you to rest anyway.

I had a slight cut with my Silky Zubat which showed me how dangerous they can be. I keep my off hand away from the blade now. A member here told me to just rub some dirt in it but I used coconut oil instead. It was mostly healed in a week. It is a good time of the year for you to rest anyway.

I love my Zubat. That saw is pure business.

Yikes what a cut! Glad to hear it wasn't worse. This is the exact reason why I have a med kit in my pack with super glue, leukotape, and QuikClot. I hope I never have to use it.

Back