• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Line advice

Coachschaller

Got a Cruzr XC coming this week. I will be visiting my local climbing gym to pick up some rope.
Couple of questions:
Dynamic or Static?
Length of lineman's belt?
Can I use a carabiner on my tether to attach to the tree, or just tie a loop?

Static rope. Finished length of 8ft is pretty standard. Everytime I’ve made my own rope, I’ve started with 11ft of rope and that got me to 8ft when I was done. Tie a figure eight on a bight on the tree end and that’s your loop to run the tether through. And then a stopper knot on the very end, of course.

Last edited:
I am thinking of using my tether as a rope to rappel down, so I would have a long tag end. This can sometimes be very annoying to run 30 to 40 feet of tag end through the loop, hence my question on using a carabiner. Problems with using the carabiner? Otherwise, I will be doing what doriangable suggested.

Using a carabiner introduces the risk of side loading the carabiner. Most people will use a delta link (though you're technically supposed to use a tool to close those).

Not much of a choice if it’s Planet Rock you’re thinking of getting rope from. Haven’t been there lately, but they use to only carry Sterling Super Static 11mm, and 60m coils of dynamic rope.

I just picked up 35ft of 8mm Teufelberger Resc Tech rope for $75ish delivered. Check out doublesteps.com aka Easter Woods Outdoors. You can find just about everything you need from there.

I'll be using a scaffold knot on an oval quicklink to tie onto the tree. Rappelling with a black diamond atc sport and an autoblock safety. Be my first time rappelling so I want a backup safety just incase.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I recommend Sterling Canyon IV if you are going to rappel. Make sure you take the time to practice everything at ground level and have your mind wrapped around how it works and what to do in emergency. The last thing you want is to be up 15-20', system not working and trying to sort it out then, bad things happen. Anytime you rappel with whatever device you are going to use, have a back-up, even if simple Garda hitch or figure 8.

Using a carabiner introduces the risk of side loading the carabiner. Most people will use a delta link (though you're technically supposed to use a tool to close those).
THIS^^^^ is the answer to one of my questions. I started using an oval quick link for my tether/rappelling line(Canyon elite). Feeding the entire rope through a bite on a figure 8 was obviously not gonna happen. I have thought about using a carabiner instead and wondered if it was ok or knot. I won’t be using a regular carabiner, I’ll keep using the oval.

Last edited:
Do not use a carabiner in that fashion. They're not meant for that type of load. Use a quick link instead. I recommend a Kong or Petzl delta link.

Back