• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

List of sporting goods companies and who actually owns them.

Halfstep

Someone asked me to post this. It is a list of small companies who are now actually owned by larger companies. A lot of these companies where once individual companies but then were bought out by a larger company. A lot of these products were once made in the USA but not are made overseas. These larger companies are Pradco Outdoor Brands, GSM Outdoors, Faradyne Outdoors, Escalade, The Outdoor Group and Vista Outdoor. There may be some more large outdoor groups I am not aware of, but this is the list I have put together.

PRADCO OUTDOOR BRANDS
Summit
Moultrie
Knight and Hale
Code Blue
Texas Hunter Products
Whitetail Institute

GSM OUTDOORS
Stealth Cam
Walkers
Muddy
Hawk
Big Game
Birchwood Casey
SME
Viking Solutions
Tekmat
NAP
Bullseye
Coyote Light
Skull
G-Outdoors
Cyclops
Crossfire
Scent-A-Way
Boss Buck
Scent Slammer
Wayne Carlton's Calls
Buckbomb
American Hunter
Ammo Pal
Johnny Stewart
HME
Western Rivers
Down & Out Blinds

FARADYNE OUTDOORS
Rage
AXE Crossbows
Carbon Express
Muzzy Broadheads
Nockturnal Lighted Nocks
Block Targets
Trufire
Rocky Mountain
IQ Bowsight
Apple
GlenDel
Shooter 3D Archery Targets
Carbon Express Crossbows
S4 Gear
Sure-Loc
Hurricane Bag Targets
Wac Em
Gorilla Gear
Black Hole
Eastman Outdoors

ESCALADE
Bear Archery
Whisker Biscuit
Karnage
Rocket
BearX
Trophy Ridge
Cajun Bowfishing
Fletcher
SIK

THE OUTDOOR GROUP
Elite Archery
CBE
Solid Broadhead Co
Slick Trick
Scott Releases
Duel Game Calls
Winner's Choice

VISTA OUTDOOR
B-Stinger
Bell
Blackburn
Blackhawk
Camp Chef
Copilot
Fiber Energy Products
Giro
Gunmate
Krash
Outers
Quietkat
RCBS
Simmons
Tasco
Venor
Alliant Powder
Estate Cartridge
Hevi-Shot
Speer
Bushnell
Bushnell Golf
Butler Creek
Camelbak
Champion
Eagle
Foresight Sports
Gold Tip
Hoppe's 9
M-Pro 7
Primos Hunting
Raskulls
Redfield
Stone Glacier
Uncle Mike's
Weaver
CCI
Federal
Remington

Someone asked me to post this. It is a list of small companies who are now actually owned by larger companies. A lot of these companies where once individual companies but then were bought out by a larger company. A lot of these products were once made in the USA but not are made overseas. These larger companies are Pradco Outdoor Brands, GSM Outdoors, Faradyne Outdoors, Escalade, The Outdoor Group and Vista Outdoor. There may be some more large outdoor groups I am not aware of, but this is the list I have put together.

PRADCO OUTDOOR BRANDS
Summit
Moultrie
Knight and Hale
Code Blue
Texas Hunter Products
Whitetail Institute

GSM OUTDOORS
Stealth Cam
Walkers
Muddy
Hawk
Big Game
Birchwood Casey
SME
Viking Solutions
Tekmat
NAP
Bullseye
Coyote Light
Skull
G-Outdoors
Cyclops
Crossfire
Scent-A-Way
Boss Buck
Scent Slammer
Wayne Carlton's Calls
Buckbomb
American Hunter
Ammo Pal
Johnny Stewart
HME
Western Rivers
Down & Out Blinds

FARADYNE OUTDOORS
Rage
AXE Crossbows
Carbon Express
Muzzy Broadheads
Nockturnal Lighted Nocks
Block Targets
Trufire
Rocky Mountain
IQ Bowsight
Apple
GlenDel
Shooter 3D Archery Targets
Carbon Express Crossbows
S4 Gear
Sure-Loc
Hurricane Bag Targets
Wac Em
Gorilla Gear
Black Hole
Eastman Outdoors

ESCALADE
Bear Archery
Whisker Biscuit
Karnage
Rocket
BearX
Trophy Ridge
Cajun Bowfishing
Fletcher
SIK

THE OUTDOOR GROUP
Elite Archery
CBE
Solid Broadhead Co
Slick Trick
Scott Releases
Duel Game Calls
Winner's Choice

VISTA OUTDOOR
B-Stinger
Bell
Blackburn
Blackhawk
Camp Chef
Copilot
Fiber Energy Products
Giro
Gunmate
Krash
Outers
Quietkat
RCBS
Simmons
Tasco
Venor
Alliant Powder
Estate Cartridge
Hevi-Shot
Speer
Bushnell
Bushnell Golf
Butler Creek
Camelbak
Champion
Eagle
Foresight Sports
Gold Tip
Hoppe's 9
M-Pro 7
Primos Hunting
Raskulls
Redfield
Stone Glacier
Uncle Mike's
Weaver
CCI
Federal
Remington
Funny you should post this. I just stumbled across an article covering the same sort of thing, but not just for hunting companies:

I think between your list and this one, you can get a pretty clear view of the consolidation that is happening in the outdoor world. All the more reason to buy local or even DIY most of your stuff!

Funny you should post this. I just stumbled across an article covering the same sort of thing, but not just for hunting companies:

I think between your list and this one, you can get a pretty clear view of the consolidation that is happening in the outdoor world. All the more reason to buy local or even DIY most of your stuff!

Not sure how I feel about 'UGG' being considered an outdoor brand.....

Oooh...favorite topic of mine.

Any sporting goods store you walk into; 80% of it is owned by 4-5 companies tops. And its not uncommon for several of those companies to be owned by one private equity company who makes its money acquiring brands with good brand equity and then tightening the screws on every aspect until they're a shriveled, lifeless husk of what they used to be.

Pure fishing is one that hasn't been mentioned. The own probably half of the brands you see on a local big box stores shelves.

Almost forgot, Pure is owned by Rubbermaid, who owns a substantial amount of what you see on the hard goods side of Target, Walmart, etc. If I remember right they sold for something like 13 billion back in 07.

Last edited:
Oh boy. How do you avoid this from getting political?

Feel free to look up the group that owns meat eater and first lite and Tethrd and numerous other companies.

If this link is considered political, I apologize to the moderators and forum members. It is just an informative article about the hunting industry and also meshes with the political industry. Please feel free to take it down if it violates any policy.

Glad I never supported Rinella. Something about him has always rubbed me the wrong way. I must have pretty good instincts I guess cause I could never figure out why I didn't like the guy. He's right in the same class as the Bowmar's now imo.

Oh boy. How do you avoid this from getting political?

Feel free to look up the group that owns meat eater and first lite and Tethrd and numerous other companies.

If this link is considered political, I apologize to the moderators and forum members. It is just an informative article about the hunting industry and also meshes with the political industry. Please feel free to take it down if it violates any policy.

Tethrd is not owned by the Chernin group... It's still owned privately by Greg and Ernie. PM me if you have any questions.

Glad I never supported Rinella. Something about him has always rubbed me the wrong way. I must have pretty good instincts I guess cause I could never figure out why I didn't like the guy. He's right in the same class as the Bowmar's now imo.
I'm not a huge fan of his, but he is relatively accomplished as a writer/literary guy, having gone to college for "English". Counter to your point, this maybe a sort hostile take over by a "woke-green" wealthy person. I know what you mean though, it's as if there's something "underneath" that can't be seen, but felt.

What puts Rinella in the same class as Bowmar?

What puts Rinella in the same class as Bowmar?

Attention-seeking behavior? There's a tendency to label that new-age phenomenon, which is classic gilded history. Going generations beyond even Rinella, it's clear some of the early influencers were self-promoters to the extreme. To think that Freddy Bear wouldn't be a tiktokking and YouTubing fiend if he were alive today, yeah right. Like and subscribe, baby, look-at-me, hero worship, whatever you want to label it. That crap is base human behavior since time immemorial, it just happens to be just more annoying than ever because the media platforms of today are better than ever at exploiting it.

Attention-seeking behavior? There's a tendency to label that new-age phenomenon, which is classic gilded history. Going generations beyond even Rinella, it's clear some of the early influencers were self-promoters to the extreme. To think that Freddy Bear wouldn't be a tiktokking and YouTubing fiend if he were alive today, yeah right. Like and subscribe, baby, look-at-me, hero worship, whatever you want to label it. That crap is base human behavior since time immemorial, it just happens to be just more annoying than ever because the media platforms of today are better than ever at exploiting it.
I guess. But one is an award-winning author and the other flexes and sells cookies as health food.

I don't read that much outdoor stuff, and most of what I do read is local. But I've always found Rinella's stuff to be a good bit more insightful and thoughtful than average. I think he presents himself well, and that helps hunting.

I like Steve, his content are usually pretty entertaining. Maybe its all for the camera, but he always seem respectful of other's opinion and willing to reach out to expand outdoor life and improve the image of the hunting community. Sure he's a salesman, but I don't think that a bad thing. I would want someone like him selling my product if I had one.

I love his cooking content the most honestly....

I guess. But one is an award-winning author and the other flexes and sells cookies as health food.

I don't read that much outdoor stuff, and most of what I do read is local. But I've always found Rinella's stuff to be a good bit more insightful and thoughtful than average. I think he presents himself well, and that helps hunting.

I agree. That was about the only common ground I could come up with. Rinella is on my short list of dudes I would like to share a camp with. Bowmar is on my short list of dudes I would like to punch in the face.

I agree. That was about the only common ground I could come up with. Rinella is on my short list of dudes I would like to share a camp with. Bowmar is on my short list of dudes I would like to punch in the face.
I agree, though I'd need to run quickly after, because I'm pretty sure bowmar could beat me up.

I've been a rinella fan for a while, and to be honest, he's one of the "influencers" that re-ignited my interest in eating deer/wild game and got me into hunting. I also think that one can (and dare I say should) be pro conservation, pro hunter, and also pro sensible gun control. But that's as far as I'll go with that opinion, it'll definitely get me out in a politics time out. Suffice it to say that I think all meat eaters should know where and how their food dies, and we have a lot more in common than we have to disagree about.

I think the bigger message to this post is $. A lot of us think we have choices, but eventually a lot of the money we spend goes back to the same wealthy few. I'm trying (and failing pretty much every day) to spend more wisely/more in line with my ideals, but convenience sure is nice.

May 25, 2023 edit: this thread being bumped made me revisit my post. Not going to change the prior text, however my views and opinions have continued to evolve, and I am no longer sure is there's such a thing as sensible gun control by the government. That said, as you'll see in subsequent posts, this was dragging things off topic, but wanted to update with this anyway. Now back to the regular topic and who owns who...

Last edited:
100%. It's a myth perpetuated by both sides that you have to be "all in" one way or the other on one party's talking points.
I would take that a step further and submit that taken collectively, both sides have perfected disparaging the other side while the cameras are rolling but legislate from under the same quilt. That said, "sensible gun control" is clearly defined in the constitution and is in no way tied to conservation or hunting. I would much more willingly surrender the 1st amendment than I ever would the 2nd.

Back