• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Little public land, clearcut sometime in the past 5 years.

ThereWillBeSpuds

So this morning I went on a little scouting run before work. I was interested in a little WMA near another larger area I want to hunt, particularly as a backup if the big area is getting hammered one morning when I was planning to hunt. It consists of a pine plantation that looks like it was clearcut sometime between 2010 and 2016 based on historical google earth images. It has a pittiful little strip of mature trees that run east west across the property along a streambed that was dry this morning.

Attached is the arial photo which dates to 2016. It currently has a bunch of 10 to 12 foot tall pines which form thick cover that is somehow pretty easy to move through.
I saw a mess of deer tracks, but also lots of dog/coyote tracks (not sure which, there were a bunch of different sizes)

I didnt have a ton of time so I just went down a little road left over from the logging and then followed a Deer trail that started where the road ended. Along that trail I saw tons of deer bones, skulls, lower jaws, the whole shebang. All appeared to be from antlerless deer, though I am no expert. And all were found on the road, before it became impassable to a truck.

I dunno what to think, is there one guy just using it as a dumping ground for their carcasses and I only saw antlerless skulls because they are keeping the bucks heads for mounts?

Are coyotes killing deer there and I just happened to only see the ones on the road because the ones on the road are the easiest to find? Are the dumped deer carcasses drawing a population of coyotes? Or is it just the area where all the locals walk their dogs so I mistook the many different sized canine tracks for coyote tracks?

I do think it would be worth my time to hunt this area, as I saw a mess of deer tracks, but I guess i would have to use a ground blind or just still hunt. South-east of the corner of the property is a soybean field and then a very large corn field. To the northwest is a small pond fed by a lil stream.

What do yall think? Also, coyote or dog? Does that last pic look like a bed to anyone else? No crap or hair that I could find.
540c83e867b37b8253f2f23420797ea7.jpg
fc0bcb7c95ba665e7b49ba13bb4495c4.jpg
3fe2a7c2a98baf9c99b0c543b22e3612.jpg
b357ff2375cbd61b86e5273b93ed2fb5.jpg
bd68aba96c828140ce2a940c1fe6b2f7.jpg
e2151c4eb406a1bdaeb2be80463229d8.jpg
de97dc37f6f02b7327eb38ff9f515696.jpg
1762c30b59a2b5460401f973259769fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well now I am wondering if the tracks I saw were also hog tracks. After looking those up I never realized how remarkably similar they look to deer tracks.

Well now I am wondering if the tracks I saw were also hog tracks. After looking those up I never realized how remarkably similar they look to deer tracks.

What state are you in? Those skulls look relatively tame compared to feral hogs. Could be a farmer dumping slaughter waste and the coyote population is booming because of it. If you guys have wild hogs, someone could've filled some tags and dumped the scraps.

South Carolina. We definitely have hogs. No bag limit or season but on public land you can only hunt with weapons legal for whatever else is in season.

And you probably will have Bobcats before long. They love pine thickets. Easy stalking for them. Had a similar place a few years ago like this and the Bobcats came in. Had 4 within 50 yards of me one afternoon.

It’s probably worth an observation sit at least. Get in that branch off to one side of the clear cut. I thought that track looked wide for yote, but very well may be.

As for big vs deer tracks, the hogs will be a little (or a lot) rounded at the front tip, deer will be the more heart shaped track, unless splayed our running track, still pointed though, but you’ll see the dew claws with it

Spencer

It’s probably worth an observation sit at least. Get in that branch off to one side of the clear cut. I thought that track looked wide for yote, but very well may be.

As for big vs deer tracks, the hogs will be a little (or a lot) rounded at the front tip, deer will be the more heart shaped track, unless splayed our running track, still pointed though, but you’ll see the dew claws with it

Spencer
Well if it turns out to be coyotes and pigs I can collect some furs and meat and get good shooting practice.

Well if it turns out to be coyotes and pigs I can collect some furs and meat and get good shooting practice.

Yessir, good fun either way. But generally those young pines will offer great bedding and food source for deer. So I’m sure there’s some in there. They may be stacked more in the south corner towards that field you mentioned, but can’t tell if there’s any standing trees within the boundary that you can climb there. You’ll figure it out. Good luck

Spencer

And you probably will have Bobcats before long. They love pine thickets. Easy stalking for them. Had a similar place a few years ago like this and the Bobcats came in. Had 4 within 50 yards of me one afternoon.
Seriously dude. I haven't been lucky enough to see just one Bobcat while out in the woods and you've seen 4 at once?

Seriously dude. I haven't been lucky enough to see just one Bobcat while out in the woods and you've seen 4 at once?
Well, if it makes you feel better, only 3 went home. Tagged one with my bow 10ft from the base of my ladder stand.

I think I was more pumped with him than any other kill to date.

Back