• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Live from the saddle 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season still open in Illinois and minus 2 this morning and 4 above at 11:00a.m. I remained inside because that is how I was able to be alive at 73 years old.:)

Season closed in VA yesterday. It was still 72 degrees an hour after sunset. Needless to say, didn’t see a thing moving. And to top that off they are calling for 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow.

First hunt of 2022, with our first snow of the season, on my birthday. Couldn’t ask for a whole lot more, although seeing a deer instead of 100 squirrels would be nice lol

6a54c53a3abca454a40efa01605abfab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oops posted in last year's. I'm out, using the snow to scout because I didn't see much this AM, found two good bedding sites and saw one doe at 120 yards so far. May call it early, may stay out til dark, can't decide

In a new spot/tree, about 15 min after I got set up a nice 6 came by and I freaking hooked my release on backwards, had to let down and redraw and missed my window ugh moron!
You gotta have those experiences to get them out of the way. It happens but you won’t make that same mistake again……

Well the new spot was definitely an area I'll be returning to. Saw almost a dozen doe after the buck. After almost getting picked off, one of them stomped once and stared me down for a loooooong time, and staying still for about 45 min... I cleanly missed the only doe that got into range, about 5 min before last light. pulled the shot so two for two on unforced errors, but still a great day, very glad to have discovered this new area and definitely learned a lot because of the snow. Both about deer activity and the deficiencies in my gear. Warmer clothes and better boots are in my future, likely for next season to try to get a summertime deal.

I'm going to try to get back to this same spot next weekend if I can manage it. If not the one after. Running out of weekends before end of January/season, but I'm much more hopeful after the last few hours. Amazing how the pendulum of enthusiasm swings back and forth.

Well the new spot was definitely an area I'll be returning to. Saw almost a dozen doe after the buck. After almost getting picked off, one of them stomped once and stared me down for a loooooong time, and staying still for about 45 min... I cleanly missed the only doe that got into range, about 5 min before last light. pulled the shot so two for two on unforced errors, but still a great day, very glad to have discovered this new area and definitely learned a lot because of the snow. Both about deer activity and the deficiencies in my gear. Warmer clothes and better boots are in my future, likely for next season to try to get a summertime deal.

I'm going to try to get back to this same spot next weekend if I can manage it. If not the one after. Running out of weekends before end of January/season, but I'm much more hopeful after the last few hours. Amazing how the pendulum of enthusiasm swings back and forth.
In bow range of deer late season is a win. You followed sign & picked a good spot & had opportunity!

In bow range of deer late season is a win. You followed sign & picked a good spot & had opportunity!
I didn't ignore sign to walk to empty woods, made myself explore areas I'd seen deer from afar but didn't scout well enough and I started to figure out why they were there, found bedding, but more importantly winter forage, that was the key. Didn't realize this sticky looking undergrowth with tiny berries is something deer ate. Now I do. Newbie chronicles. Now to figure out what the heck that plant is and start noting everywhere I see it.

And this is definitely not a new or unique thought but man does some recent snow on the ground do wonders to show activity (and to show that well worn trails actually aren't being used that much).

I'm remembering last January (my first season) and grinding but just not fully figuring it out and being so dissappinted. I feel like I'm doing better this year, but running out of time again. Thanks for the encouragement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back