• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone star law

Legal is legal, I personally want to go after older deer. Everyone is different and that means different ideas on trophies. Kill whatever makes you happy. I think the game warden was just mad that the hunter got that buck first. Warden shoulda called in sick and hunted his backyard.

100% legal and a decent deer. Some people are trophy hunters and some are trying to put meat on the table. I am a meat hunter, i will shoot trophies even given the opportunity or I already have enough meat in the freezer. In VA we have buck only days. That means a bunch of spike and small 4 pts get killed. On an either sex day if I have a decent 8, a decent 10 or a big doe in the field or walking by, the big doe will die every time. On a buck only day the larger body buck will die. I have a family of 4 and we eat venison (ground and roasts) on average 3-4 nights a week. You can't eat the antlers, so a doe, spike, or large mass 12 pointer all fill the freezer the same.

I agree that the warden was being passive aggressive.....his comments on how he was disappointed on the deers age....I wonder if he said that in front of the hunter or just for the anti hunter TV crowd.....was nice of him to help drag. Too bad the hunter wasnt filming so we could have the whole interaction....anything can be edited to push an agenda. IMO this put the warden in a negative light but I'm biased...all of my interactions with wildlife officers have been positive

How in the world do you get the deer to stand still while you measure his antlers? :D 1/4 inch over the minimum spread. If it was 1/4 inch under, citation. It is not that bad in PA.
Game warden was not bad considering his house was right there.

Last edited:
Interested to hear others thoughts/comments on this video. I assume this show is aired on television.

Helping him drag out was nice of him. The comment on the size was needless in my mind, but I'm not sure of the context. Maybe Texas is really trying to get a more mature buck herd for good reasons, like a healthier rut.

As far as the distance thing, I was quite surprised to hear the guy say he wouldn't hunt there anymore. Heck, you didn't break any laws and you shot a nice buck! I wouldn't exactly want to make enemies with the warden by hunting what he thought was "too close" to his wife and kids, but if I'm paying the property tax or the lease fee...

Kinda a timely post for me. I had 2 sheriffs last night drive right past my no trespassing sign looking for a guy who jumped bail. Had to step away from my job (working from home) for 10 minutes to talk to them. Apparently they were here because the guy they were looking for drives a tan Tahoe ("Sir, that's a blazer in my yard, and it and the house are both registered to me in the county records.") Whole time I was talking, the second guy was walking around in my backyard.

I am not anti law enforcement, but it can be very frustrating when you're minding your own business and you have them taking liberties you would under no circumstances allow other people. I will say all but one game officer I've ever encountered have been positive experiences that reflected well on them, and some have actually been pleasant. Heck, one of them gave me a ride to my house after my truck broke down on the WMA, and we talked like buddies the whole way. He even offered me some beer he had confiscated from someone. :)

Back