• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone wolf hand climber seat

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Has anyone else tried using the lone wolf hand climber seat as a method for climbing with your saddle? jhicks54 posted this over on AT and I'm currently in love with the idea and just happen to have one hanging around..

8a04d4a7acf87af1852e7e8a596a18df.jpg

Saw a guy do it on youtube with a guidos web a while back. Definitely a great idea.

If you have straight limbless trees and want to hunt on the fly, I think it would be great. But it still comes with the draw backs of a climber. (can't easily climb up or down if you have to, tree has to be straight and limbless, a little more noise, more difficult to maneuver around tree, I'm sure there's more)

Because the deer I hunt seem to walk around looking up for people in climbing stands, I avoid straight limbless trees. lol

Since you already have one, I see no reason not to try it out. Let us know what you think.

Thanks for sharing! Just to address a few things:

1. The only parts you would need to modify a hand climber top are a pair of replacement exercise bike foot straps and some heavy duty zip ties.

2. Straight trees are not necessary. Limbless isn't necessary either, but too many limbs would be a pain. When you encounter a limb, connect your lineman belt, put your tree strap above the limb, and then move up until you can unhook the platform and place it above the limb. Doing this once or twice is no problem. Often times, I only need to get above the first limb to achieve enough cover anyway. Double/triple trees are fantastic!

jhicks54 said:
Thanks for sharing! Just to address a few things:
2. Straight trees are not necessary. Limbless isn't necessary either, but too many limbs would be a pain. When you encounter a limb, connect your lineman belt, put your tree strap above the limb, and then move up until you can unhook the platform and place it above the limb. Doing this once or twice is no problem. Often times, I only need to get above the first limb to achieve enough cover anyway. Double/triple trees are fantastic!

Totally agree on the double and triple trees, they are the best for cover when you snug in between....

And working around limbs, while doable, would get on my nerves quickly. When I used to use a climber I would sometimes do that with higher limbs (low ones I cut off), and also make "mid-flight adjustments" if the platform was not leveling the way I wanted. I hated doing that though, that's why I stopped using climbers.

I'm not trying to knock your method, obviously it works very well for you, but I would definitely find it to be a pain to have to disconnect the stand platform and reconnect for each limb encountered.

Do you tether the platform to your saddle so it can't be dropped while making the adjustments? If not, you should heavily consider it.

I know a guy that didn't do that (no not me) and he ended up losing the bottom half of his climber. He actually had to have the Fire Department come and get him out of the tree. Funniest story ever, especially if you knew the guy, cause he's a monster of a man....and a hardcore hunter, so they had to go in a long ways down a steep hill and there he is dangling in his climber top about 20' up. Unfortunately I didn't get to witness it, but apparently the first cop on scene was a comedian, because he said some really funny stuff to my 6'6" pinata of a friend. :lol:

I think that spot was kind of blown for a while with all the cops and firefighters walking around trying to find him. :lol:

As long as I never tell the story with his name, he won't kill me.

Matty said:
And working around limbs, while doable, would get on my nerves quickly. When I used to use a climber I would sometimes do that with higher limbs (low ones I cut off), and also make "mid-flight adjustments" if the platform was not leveling the way I wanted. I hated doing that though, that's why I stopped using climbers.
Without actually trying this out yet, I am thinking it will be easier to do than with a climber because you are hanging against the tree rather than either holding yourself up on the seat or balancing on the upper part of the climber. I'll try it though and may be proven wrong.

Matty said:
Because the deer I hunt seem to walk around looking up for people in climbing stands, I avoid straight limbless trees. lol.
We are definitely hunting the same deer lol
jhicks54 said:
This is what I was thinking. I figured sitting down and actually hanging in the saddle would make it quite quick to go around a branch compared to when you are using a regular climber.

Matty said:
Do you tether the platform to your saddle so it can't be dropped while making the adjustments? If not, you should heavily consider it.
Yes, on AT he made sure to remind me to tether to my saddle.

Matty said:
I know a guy that didn't do that (no not me) and he ended up losing the bottom half of his climber. He actually had to have the Fire Department come and get him out of the tree. Funniest story ever, especially if you knew the guy, cause he's a monster of a man....and a hardcore hunter, so they had to go in a long ways down a steep hill and there he is dangling in his climber top about 20' up. Unfortunately I didn't get to witness it, but apparently the first cop on scene was a comedian, because he said some really funny stuff to my 6'6" pinata of a friend. :lol:

I think that spot was kind of blown for a while with all the cops and firefighters walking around trying to find him. :lol:

As long as I never tell the story with his name, he won't kill me.
Yikes! That doesn't sound like fun lol...

Gave this a try last night. I have some kinks to work out of my system but it definitely has some potential. I shot a doe out of it so it can't be that bad right? :lol: It was really nice walking in on a mobile hunt with just the hand climber seat on my back, really light and would be great for long hikes.

I do not intend on using this as my platform, I only plan on using it to climb the tree. I still setup my ameristeps above it when I got to hunting height. I went around 1 branch on the way up. This was my most difficult part because I had trouble getting the climber portion back on tight when I went to reconnect. I'm going to try practicing this before I do it next time, but my plan is to bring one tree step to setup and stand on while I reposition the climber above the branch. The only other problems I had were the usual issues with the climber strap getting snagged going up and down.

I think if I work out these kinks this could be a great option to have, even if it isn't an everyday option.

jhicks54, I see that you have zip ties around the arms down on the platform What is this for? Does it help keep it in position as you climb?

I would assume that is what they are for. I know that when I tried this that I hated the lone wolf top. I think other tops would be better, just because the lone wolf pivots. It looks like those zip ties on the back would not allow it to pivot. Looks like he solved the problem with some zipties.

Thanks,
Boswell

I'll try the zipties out and see how it helps. I did some practice with this in the yard yesterday and the results were encouraging. I was about 25 foot up in 15 minute from taking the pack off my back, and that includes at least 5 minutes of screwing around because the climber strap was caught on the tree when I first started.

2 interesting things I figured out:

1. I tried climbing and descending with the linemans belt but that really just inhibited my movements and I could go way quicker without it.
2. The rope tree strap seems to be way better for this method than my web strap. It is much easier to move up and down the tree.

Would love to try this! Currently have a LW sit and climb and trying to see if anyone is interested in trading their hand climber top for my sit and climb top. Looks like a great idea though.

Good thread.

I had considered ordering the seat just for this use.
Don't know if there is another / cheaper option out there.

Just traded my sit and climb top for the hand climber top so I'll be trying this soon.

For those that have tried it....what are you using as safety line in case the platform falls?

WCork said:
Just traded my sit and climb top for the hand climber top so I'll be trying this soon.

For those that have tried it....what are you using as safety line in case the platform falls?

Let me know how it works for you. I'm still trying to optimize my system.

I have a piece of paracord tied to the platform and then clipped to my saddle in case it falls.

I like the hand climber top a lot, but it will depend on your typical hunting area. My hunting grounds have a lot of telephone-pole hardwoods everywhere. If you hunt cedar trees or something with a lot of limbs, just use climbing sticks or steps. Also, yes....MAKE SURE TO TETHER THE TOP TO YOUR SADDLE!

First, you need to find a way to hold the arms in place, and to hold the top to your feet. Otherwise, the arms rotate and the platform will hang up.

Second, ascending the tree is easy and fast. Going down is the part that takes practice. That said, the learning curve is quick if you've ever used a climbing treestand. Merely wrap the tree strap around the tree and attach it to your bridge. Then, sit and climb! (Sit in the saddle, raise the platform, stand, raise the strap, repeat)

Last, it takes me about 5 minutes to be at hunting height, and no further setup is needed except to screw in a bow holder and pull up my bow! This platform is also super lightweight and easy to hang over your shoulder. I do not use any steps at hunting height. This is my platform! I'm easily under 10lbs as I simply carry my saddle, platform, bridge, tree strap, bow, bow holder, and field dressing gear.

Jhicks,
How is it as a platform? Can you put pressure on it to lean out away from the tree?

Thanks,
Boswell

I have a hand climber. So after seeing yall doing this I've been hesitant on getting climb paws.

Boudreaux said:
Jhicks,
How is it as a platform? Can you put pressure on it to lean out away from the tree?

Thanks,
Boswell

I set the angle of the platform so it's slightly inclined. If it's angled down at all, it won't work. To me, it feels as "solid" as the Ameristep steps on a ratchet. If Summit made a similar top with their cable connection, it would be a more solid system.....

I definitely wouldn't use it as a platform. There have been times when I've used my climber where the hand portion would fall to the platform when I stood up or let go of it while climbing to move my tree strap.
I'd attach a rope to each side of it and connect them to the saddle. It would be a bad day if it fell to the ground while hunting.

LASOutdoorsmen said:
I definitely wouldn't use it as a platform. There have been times when I've used my climber where the hand portion would fall to the platform when I stood up or let go of it while climbing to move my tree strap.
I'd attach a rope to each side of it and connect them to the saddle. It would be a bad day if it fell to the ground while hunting.

I think I may try using my third hand archery stabilizer straps to connect the hand climber top to my saddle.

Boudreaux said:
Jhicks,

Thanks,
Boswell

I have been playing with this and tied the thing extra and it seems to be super-secure. Yes, you can put pressure and lean way out. You could use a strap with cam buckles too I guess.

I climb up with the main rope going all the way to the ground and just pull it up and pile it up at the back of the seat when I get to height. When I am at height, I lower myself using the friction hitch on my tether so I am sitting on the seat, facing the tree. That's when I tie the thing on and add the bungee to prevent slipping. You then just pull yourself back up to stand on it. If the seat does slip all the way down the tree, I just rappel down with the Schwabisch hitch that attaches my tether to the main rope :mrgreen:

74BCBFA3-7B2B-4D69-BC98-6F88951A814A_zpsxgluzeze.jpg

Some good ideas guys! Keep up the innovation! Like jhicks said, if you are hunting telephone pole like trees, I think the hand climber seat has a lot of potential. I love how light it is!

Back