• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone wolf handclimber/ Saddle combo Part 3

Pretty sweet mod right there. Nice work!

Is there a way to achieve the same effect without drilling? I have the whole hand climber and don't want to erode its resale value if possible.

You just can't beat the 4.5 lb climbing method and platform!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do you climb trees with limbs? If so, how are you getting

Not really. Most poplar trees around here don't have limbs but you could use a rope on step etc to make that move possible. I would use sticks for trees with limbs. 99% of the time I know where I'm going so I know what tool to take.

Is there a way to achieve the same effect without drilling? I have the whole hand climber and don't want to erode its resale value if possible.

Yes... where the arm rests on the lip of the platform, I first used a piece of rubber in between as a" lift kit" then pushed the arm down tight and zip tied it. I mentioned that in the video. It worked fine but the bolt is better in the long run.

Yes... where the arm rests on the lip of the platform, I first used a piece of rubber in between as a" lift kit" then pushed the arm down tight and zip tied it. I mentioned that in the video. It worked fine but the bolt is better in the long run.
Thanks. I remember hearing about the rubber lift. I could try that. Any suggestions for size or material to start with?

Thanks. I remember hearing about the rubber lift. I could try that. Any suggestions for size or material to start with?

I used a piece of rubber spacer I had laying around but I'm sure there are better things. Could use strips of rubber cut to size maybe an inch wide. Test n Tune

I dig it. Any concerns that the higher angle can lead to folding of the platform? Perhaps the opposite is true. Do you think this mod leads to more or less bite on the tree when standing on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig it. Any concerns that the higher angle can lead to folding of the platform? Perhaps the opposite is true. Do you think this mod leads to more or less bite on the tree when standing on it?

No folding, same bite, no slipping. Also we tested on rock hard smooth trees with no issues. Also the band stays more in line with the arms now. It's so much better to climb with now, easier too

I’m thinking this is the climbing method I want to use. Thanks for taking the time to make/share the video.

Awesome idea. Looks like it works well. I keep flip flopping on this method, Spurs, or wild edge steps. This method is tough to beat

I’m thinking this is the climbing method I want to use. Thanks for taking the time to make/share the video.

Your welcome. It's our favorite climbing method especially for public. We do use sticks when as well. Watever it takes.

Looks like a great method. Do you attach a line to part of your saddle in case platform falls?

Looks like a great method. Do you attach a line to part of your saddle in case platform falls?

Yes, I also use it to pull the strap up to get my feet under it and to hang off of tree to pull platform up to me for adjustment if needed. The cord was on the ground, thought it might be in the way. See video PART 2 for that..

I am very glad this showed up. As I am thinking of getting in to saddle hunting. But trying to keep cost down. And use things I already own. As I have a LW climber this will work really well.
Question besides the Obvious weight why would you not use the base of the climber as it has a bigger surface and foot rest?

I am very glad this showed up. As I am thinking of getting in to saddle hunting. But trying to keep cost down. And use things I already own. As I have a LW climber this will work really well.
Question besides the Obvious weight why would you not use the base of the climber as it has a bigger surface and foot rest?

Maneuverability through thick cover, weight saving for long hikes, and this size platform is all you need for saddle hunting. Usually platforms being used ( non climbing) are even smaller. I also use a" ring of steps" as my platforms so this one is big for me.

You could find... oh lets say a 1/2 maybe 5/8 aluminum rod and bolt it all the way across the platform somehow. Might even be able to make it adjustable somehow. Might make it 5 lbs tho.

Back