• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone wolf stick mod

tcmetrohunter

Hey guys. Long story short I hunted last weekend with my 4 LW sticks and made so much noise I bumped a doe away from my friend who was up in a stand before I got there. By the end of my climb I was cursing my sticks and decided to pick a different climbing method.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried a couple different things.

1. Making the bottom step a double step but use two of the existing fold out steps.
2. Make my own webbing using 550 cord. I'll double it up so it should be fine. It's also going to be half glow in the dark so I can easily use it in the dark.
3. Use the one stick method with aider to get up and rappel down.

Whatcha guys think?

Don’t use paracord. I cut my lone wolfs down to 24 inches and have no complaints. I’ll be switching cam straps for Amsteel this winter

That’s all been done ( except for the paracord thing, not sure what you’re trying to accomplish there, but scrap that) I used my LW sticks perfectly stock for years. Work on your technique you should be able to setup silent. One sticking us cool but not as stealthy lots of movement. My 2 cents

How would these mods make you quieter?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm just trying out a different way to make a webbing since if I ordered something I wouldn't have it for this weekend. I see what you're saying about life support but in this application it won't be filling a life support roll since I'd be on the tether while climbing.

It would also make me quieter because I'm not dealing with metal buckles on the factory straps and going to a one stick method I'm eliminating the other sticks to bang off of each other.

No offense but it sounds like you are new to climbing with sticks. Sounds like good stick management is what's really needed here. Unless you've one sticked or even used aiders before the things you're looking to do will probably result in a hot sweaty mess. If you were cussing before, you'll be cussing even more. You'll probably be even noisier too and take longer to reach height. A bit more practice before the weekend instead of all the mods your thinking maybe a better plan. I'm just saying, please don't take offense. Upgrading to double steps is a good one though.

No offense but it sounds like you are new to climbing with sticks. Sounds like good stick management is what's really needed here. Unless you've one sticked or even used aiders before the things you're looking to do will probably result in a hot sweaty mess. If you were cussing before, you'll be cussing even more. You'll probably be even noisier too and take longer to reach height. A bit more practice before the weekend instead of all the mods your thinking maybe a better plan. I'm just saying, please don't take offense. Upgrading to double steps is a good one though.

Yup definitely new to sticks and saddles and such. I'm going to practice some with the one stick method at home before going at it in the woods but I believe there is no way I could possibly make more noise doing it vs. using 4 sticks. Maybe I'm wrong but only one way to find out. Other bonus to me of carrying one stick is less chance of it catching on everything when I'm walking through the woods.

Good luck.

Just in case the one stick doesn't work for you, I'll share with you what worked best for me when I first started to climb with my full length LW sticks. Maybe it's what you already tried to do but maybe not so here it goes. I left 3 on the ground and attached the first stick with bottom step resting about knee height. Then I pick up 2nd stick and climb up the first stick to attach 2nd stick with bottom of it resting at knee height from my leg on the top step of the 1st stick. Maybe not recommended but I learned to be able to do this without attaching my lineman belt. Get back down, pickup remaining 2 sticks, and hang one on each side of my harness froms loops made with 550. Climb back on tree, place the lineman, and climb to top of 2nd step. Attach your remaining 2 steps with same spacing as 1st 2. This should get you around 16 feet pretty easy and fairly quickly.

Good luck.

Just in case the one stick doesn't work for you, I'll share with you what worked best for me when I first started to climb with my full length LW sticks. Maybe it's what you already tried to do but maybe not so here it goes. I left 3 on the ground and attached the first stick with bottom step resting about knee height. Then I pick up 2nd stick and climb up the first stick to attach 2nd stick with bottom of it resting at knee height from my leg on the top step of the 1st stick. Maybe not recommended but I learned to be able to do this without attaching my lineman belt. Get back down, pickup remaining 2 sticks, and hang one on each side of my harness froms loops made with 550. Climb back on tree, place the lineman, and climb to top of 2nd step. Attach your remaining 2 steps with same spacing as 1st 2. This should get you around 16 feet pretty easy and fairly quickly.

That's my method right now using all of them. Maybe I'd be happier using a webbing to avoid the buckle but as of right now the up and down just seems like a huge waste of energy plus the extra weight of the sticks. I know people have carried climbers and hang on stands for years and they all work fine but I just prefer the less stuff the better. I bought a hang on stand this year and used it once before deciding I didn't like it and moved onto the saddle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back