• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

lone wolf sticks. (stinking )

huntingjamesbuck

I have hunted all year mostly with lone wolf sticks ,other times have used either regular stand climbing sticks or tree steps. Most of my close ecounters with big buck and mature does they smell the climbing sticks , I do spray them with dead down wind ,does not seem to make a difference anyone else have this issue. I am considering using spurs or presets ladder sticks because of it.

When I started taking hunting serious I always questioned the sticks down below me, but if the wind is in your favor, you should be good to go!

yeah I do just seems like sticks get noticed more . its hard to keep them scent free. Thanks. I am type of hunter who always ends up right on top of the deer with my sets. I w

They could be off-gassing from that rubber coating, that should go away with time. If they are smelling your sticks though I’d say there is a good chance they are smelling you too. I haven’t personally noticed a difference using mine but it would surely be possible. I think John Eberhart has said he buys rubber boots at least a year in advance because of the off-gassing.

They could be off-gassing from that rubber coating, that should go away with time. If they are smelling your sticks though I’d say there is a good chance they are smelling you too. I haven’t personally noticed a difference using mine but it would surely be possible. I think John Eberhart has said he buys rubber boots at least a year in advance because of the off-gassing.

Sorry disregard, that would be in regards to LWCG sticks.

I wash my straps pretty regular in scent free detergent, same as my saddle, pack, clothes, and ropes. Never had an issue with it. Sure they're smelling the sticks? Seems more likely that they smell you. A metal stick isnt going to hold much if any odor.
I never thought of doing that. Going to give it a try next year.

I guess I've never really been THAT concerned. I used to be into the scent control thing, then got into "smoking" my clothes and gear. Most recently I haven't even done that. I'm really pretty dialed into the wind at this point.

I think it’s impossible to eliminate all scent. Wipe down your sticks with scent free wipes. As mentioned, metal doesn’t hold much scent, but things like stealth strips can. I try not to touch things (limbs, branches, saplings, etc) at deer height with bare hands. In other words I prefer to wear very light gloves on my way in and while setting my first two sticks.

Never had an issue. I’ve had deer (not big bucks) beneath me and they don’t notice them. No stealth strips, just raw metal and aiders. I keep the sticks outside for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been debating getting into smoking. But besides that, I’d suggest milkweed.

I have hunted all year mostly with lone wolf sticks ,other times have used either regular stand climbing sticks or tree steps. Most of my close ecounters with big buck and mature does they smell the climbing sticks , I do spray them with dead down wind ,does not seem to make a difference anyone else have this issue. I am considering using spurs or presets ladder sticks because of it.

How do you know they’re smelling the sticks?

if you mean they’re literally walking up to the stick and smelling it, why don’t you shoot them?

Not every deer I see I want to harvest. I do meat hunt towards end of season but ,I am selective on filling my buck tags.

Some scent kill sprays have a shelf life.
and DDW, is one of them.
Stop handling gear with bare hands.
When law enforcement dusts for finger prints, they are dusting for skin oil. Fingerprints equal odor.
And even if you wear gloves, make sure you don't contaminate the gloves.
Its easy to unconsciously rub your face or scratch your nose with bare hands or gloves...you've instantly transferred skin oil to your hands/gloves which will end up on sticks, etc. Have you ever noticed how much skin oil comes off your face at the chiropractor? Look at that paper liner where you put your face...lots of oil on it after you lift your face. If you rub your face and then touch gear, you've now transferred odor to your gear.
Never underestimate how much odor are on your hands.

Not every deer I see I want to harvest. I do meat hunt towards end of season but ,I am selective on filling my buck tags.

What are they doing that makes you think they are smelling the sticks?

If you’re that good of a hunter, or hunt in an area with that many mature deer moving in daylight, that you have enough mature deer encounters where they smell your sticks, to the point that it’s bothering you enough to do something about it, can you: A - give us some pointers, and B- take me hunting?

I’ll settle for a pin drop !

Back