• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for a quality orange vest

iamcorey

Anyone have suggestions on a quality blaze orange vest? Needs to be solid color. Would like to have a game pouch in the back.

I find I don’t take it off like I used to, and I’ve about worn it out this season. Just going to make it part of my layering system, so I want one that is a little more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitka makes the best ... I've had wind stopper in it.. the other is just a vest

I bought my daughter one of these in orange camo for Christmas last year but they come in solid too. Really quiet fabric. I was pretty happy with it when it came.

I’m with you on being frustrated with my blaze orange vest. I’ve flirted with getting one of the Sitka Stratus Vests in blaze because of the pockets and warmth, but that’s an awful lot of coin when I can “get by” with a cheapo mesh vest… I mostly just want good pockets (or access to my jacket’s pockets) and NO VELCRO. Is that too much to ask?

I’m with you on being frustrated with my blaze orange vest. I’ve flirted with getting one of the Sitka Stratus Vests in blaze because of the pockets and warmth, but that’s an awful lot of coin when I can “get by” with a cheapo mesh vest… I mostly just want good pockets (or access to my jacket’s pockets) and NO VELCRO. Is that too much to ask?

And quiet fabric, mine has a game pocket with that loud material…

best orange hands down for me. Love my mesh vest. Ordering another one now thanks for reminder.

Orange Aglow - Blaze Orange Lightweight Hunting Vests

I don't run their vest, but I do run their safety panels on my pack. Super light weight, good system to hook it up on anything.
Simple product, but a good product.

I have a Cabela's in camo blaze that I've used for years but I don't think they make them anymore. You might find them on eBay. All the end seams were coated with nylon and it has a nice grommet for a compass lanyard or a rangefinder and a small pack on the back with brass snaps to carry your lunch, rope, kill kit etc. A good equivalent would be a forester's vest like this but not sure on how quiet they are:

JimGem Pro 10Pocket Cruiser Vest | Forestry Suppliers, Inc. (forestry-suppliers.com)

I bought my daughter one of these in orange camo for Christmas last year but they come in solid too. Really quiet fabric. I was pretty happy with it when it came.

This is the one I use, Love it and its lasted 3-4 years so far and still in great shape.

Last edited:
I purchased a sitka stratus vest in blaze orange and don't regret it one bit. Pricey but well worth it in my opinion. Warm,windblocking,nice pocket locations, quite. No more baggy fit and velcro (I was using my orange safety vest from work). I know its a lot of coin for a orange vest but I hope its the last one I have to buy for rest of my life. Hope this helps!!

C.C. Filson makes a very nice orange vest, have had mine for many years.
It is designed with a surveyor (my previous life) or forester in mind but still works for me.

Recently spent a few days researching options on this after ripping yet another cheap mesh vest to shreds in the bush. I ended up going with the Nomad. I wasn't looking for pockets, warmth, etc. I just wanted a plan, quiet orange vest that wouldn't rip when you sneeze. So far so good on that choice.

I received two gamehide vests from Amazon today.

1 is the sneaker. Nice quiet material but too much velcro. Not sure it would hold up in briars and stickers.

1 is the mountain pass. Really like it but it’s $60. Season is about over so I have time to ponder and wait for a sale. Has a kangaroo pouch. Built in hand warmer pockets with fleece/fur lining. A decent size pocket on the back. It’s a side entry vest so that’s a little odd.

My search for orange vest may have ended. I picked up a made in the US Cabela’s orange upland vest (?). It’s older but looks brand new. Thick tough canvas type material that seems like it’s made for the briar patch. Front pockets, back pouch and a separate pouch accessible via side zippers. Snap buttons in front and on rear back pouch. The thing seems bullet proof. This is one of the ones that they don’t make new ones like anymore.

Back