• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for advice

Schemeecho

What's up Saddle Hunters? I hope everyone will enjoy Memorial Day and remember to stay safe. As most of you know last season was my first year in the saddle.
I currently use a one stick with a diy top platform. I really like my DIY one stick and I was debating on using a separate platform as well. Then I started hearing about a ring of steps. So, I was wondering if anyone has made a set for themselves? Is it even possible? My reason for wanting to use a ring of steps is this. I noticed that when standing on top of my stick either kneeling or sitting I'm hanging out a little farther than I'd like. For me the biggest advantage of saddle hunting is being able to keep the tree between me and the Deer and it makes sense that by using a ring of steps, you can make you body profile tighter to the tree. I have also been watching a lot of John Eberhart videos on youtube and he says the exact same thing that I thought. Now with that all being said, I have a design that just may work. My biggest issue is finding a way for the step to stay tight against the tree and not roll out of position since it will be mostly all side pressure. I'm hoping that some of you guys who DIY things may be able to give me some insight Just an FIY, I cant really weld so most of my DIY projects involve metal combined with wood using nuts and bolts. If you would like to see my design plans let me know and I will post them. Thanks in advance!

I experimented with a wood block ring of steps. This is a work in progress and there have been several issues presented by other members here as to safety concerns using wood such as splitting and deterioration over time. I saw these as a possible solution to setting up public land friendly preset rings of steps. If you do try these out use them at ground level only. Ideally I have been looking for some stable and hard plastic material that I can cut into the shapes and use but so far it has eluded me.

If you can use bolts on the land you hunt i would suggest getting a hand drill and using bolts for presets. Also, as of a few days ago, Bullman Outdoors had their pioneer steps on half price and they are really nice. I ran a set of 7 last fall and I just bought 6 more the other day. It would be hard to beat a set of 6 or 7 on an OCB at that price point.

Attachments

• wood platform 4.jpg
    wood platform 4.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 32
  • wood platform.jpg
    wood platform.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 28
@NMSbowhunter I like your concept and its almost what I was thinking. I'm curious with the size of the hole for the strap. Does it give too much flex in the step and cause it to push away from your foot when pressure is applied? Here is my Idea. I was planning on using a 1/8 drill bit to drill out where the strap goes and only make it a little bigger than the strap. Thinking it will stop the step from twisting. DIY ring of steps plans.png

I think I used 1 inch hole for the strap. The main concern is the variability of wood. I did make some by gluing up 2 thicknesses of plywood and cutting the shape out of that. The opposing grain patterns in plywood make it much less susceptible to splitting.

No, they seat when you put pressure on them, and they don't try to twist. They are very stable with a good, heavy ratchet strap.

Last edited:
There’s not much in the way of a compact step you can make out of wood, or metal for that matter, that won’t roll with side pressure.

Once you’re putting a grown man’s mass against gravity, focused on the tiny surface area of a step, it’s gonna roll.

Best you can do is steps with wings, and a ratchet strap.

Also, by your depiction, I assume you’re going to make that wood block something like an inch thick. There’s no wood you can source easily, and probably no wood at all, that will not split in that configuration. The small surface area of the bolt will concentrate the same forces in opening sentence. Wood will not hold up.

DIY is fun. But I don’t think you’ll be happy with the results here.

Is the priority goal to make it yourself or for it to work?

There’s not much in the way of a compact step you can make out of wood, or metal for that matter, that won’t roll with side pressure.

Once you’re putting a grown man’s mass against gravity, focused on the tiny surface area of a step, it’s gonna roll.

Best you can do is steps with wings, and a ratchet strap.

Also, by your depiction, I assume you’re going to make that wood block something like an inch thick. There’s no wood you can source easily, and probably no wood at all, that will not split in that configuration. The small surface area of the bolt will concentrate the same forces in opening sentence. Wood will not hold up.

DIY is fun. But I don’t think you’ll be happy with the results here.

Is the priority goal to make it yourself or for it to work?
the main priority is to make it myself and for it to work. I had some major medical issues last year and there is no room for new gear for the next few years. hospital bills will get all my extra cash for the next few years. so i have to find a way to make something work. what do you mean by a step with wings

I love Dano. And I love my squirrel steps. But it was a matter of time that someone would offer a more economical option.

I think these would work great with one exception - you need an OCB strap, if you're ok with a little "Mush" in your platform. Or a ratchet strap if you want it completely locked down.

These "steps" will work awesome for you. The strap won't do anything for ya. Use it for some other purpose.

the main priority is to make it myself and for it to work. I had some major medical issues last year and there is no room for new gear for the next few years. hospital bills will get all my extra cash for the next few years. so i have to find a way to make something work. what do you mean by a step with wings

If your piece of wood is narrow and shallow, it's going to twist and break. You need a wider profile to distribute the load across a larger surface area. That will help with the twisting. But shallow - it's still gonna break. Wood won't handle this load. You're underestimating how much force your body weight will generate, when it's concentrated on that bolt/wood interface.

If your piece of wood is narrow and shallow, it's going to twist and break. You need a wider profile to distribute the load across a larger surface area. That will help with the twisting. But shallow - it's still gonna break. Wood won't handle this load. You're underestimating how much force your body weight will generate, when it's concentrated on that bolt/wood interface.
I was planning on using a 2x4 cut to 3 inches long .so the part of the board that goes against the tree would be the full width of the 2x4 which would give a bigger surface area against the tree then combine that with a ratchet strap

$40.00 for a set isn't really that much. I have a ratchet strap that i can use. Maybe Ill just look into those. I don't know why I thought they would be more. I can most likely swing that pretty soon. I'll just have to tell my wife this will be the thing I SHOULD HAVE TO BUY.

$40.00 for a set isn't really that much. I have a ratchet strap that i can use. Maybe Ill just look into those. I don't know why I thought they would be more. I can most likely swing that pretty soon. I'll just have to tell my wife this will be the thing I SHOULD HAVE TO BUY.
You can buy just the steps in whatever quantity you want without the strap. I bought 6 without the strap a few days ago.

@NMSbowhunter I like your concept and its almost what I was thinking. I'm curious with the size of the hole for the strap. Does it give too much flex in the step and cause it to push away from your foot when pressure is applied? Here is my Idea. I was planning on using a 1/8 drill bit to drill out where the strap goes and only make it a little bigger than the strap. Thinking it will stop the step from twisting. View attachment 66071
If that larger piece is wood , you will break that it may actually work a few times before it splits. I’d lean towards something already out there. I love diy but I’ve not yet seen many designs that would hold up to multiple uses…

If that larger piece is wood , you will break that it may actually work a few times before it splits. I’d lean towards something already out there. I love diy but I’ve not yet seen many designs that would hold up to multiple uses…
I actually found a ROS that were very low on the cost so I'm going to buy them in a few weeks. But, I still want to try and play around with my idea just to see if they work. If they do work then I will put them up against the ones i will have bought just to see how the compare. If my option is viable then Im not out much cost wise and will have a backup set

Put a layer of fiberglass or CF on either side of the wood and it will last plenty long enough. Plus, the epoxy used for adhering the composite will make the wood waterproof. If, like me, you have the stuff laying around, a few scrap pieces will cost essentially nothing and you have your custom design for much longer than a few uses. YMMV and all that but there's nothing particularly difficult about making a ring of steps that will last a full season pretty easily. I'd dare say, a set of 2x4 steps would last a couple seasons without much effort or cost at all.

Put a layer of fiberglass or CF on either side of the wood and it will last plenty long enough. Plus, the epoxy used for adhering the composite will make the wood waterproof. If, like me, you have the stuff laying around, a few scrap pieces will cost essentially nothing and you have your custom design for much longer than a few uses. YMMV and all that but there's nothing particularly difficult about making a ring of steps that will last a full season pretty easily. I'd dare say, a set of 2x4 steps would last a couple seasons without much effort or cost at all.

Well I do believe I like your idea also, so I think I'm going to try it since I have all the stuff at the shop. I'll post how they turn out

Back