• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for Michigan Saddle hunter

HvilleSaddle

As I sat in my climber, out of position and feeling unsure of what drove me to get one, the sun was setting on my third annual “Public land challenge”. I realized I needed to make a change and after careful research I bought the Tethrd Mantis feeling it was the best fit for me and what I wanted to get out of a true mobile set up.

I am leaning towards a knaider swaider 5 step ladder from wild edge and using two of the steps as my platform between 0-20 ft off the ground. Initial thoughts on my planned set up are welcome but screw in steps or bolts are out of the question.

I am hoping to get a person in the area with some year(s) of saddle hunting I can shoot quick questions to.

thanks

Hopefully you can get with someone near you to check things out. Sounds like a lotta moving parts for your first climbing method.

There's several of us here in Michigan. Where are you located? I'm in the Boyne area. @T.Clarke is man when it comes to knaider/swaider climbing here in Michigan. We generally have a couple of "Demo Days" in the spring/summer and he flys up the tree on that system.

I am down in Hudsonville but make my way around the state over the course of the year. I plan on practicing with this system, shooting and setting up many times prior to season. I have a chunk of public down the road from my house I could set up and shot from different types of trees and dial in my set up. Does @T.Clarke use the wild edge steps?

I do not have a mobile climbing method so clean slate but have set up lone wolf stick before when using family members’ equipment. I have used a climber for 3 years otherwise I have been hunting pre hung sets for the past 15 years.

Last edited:
Tim does use the WE steps with a Knaider/Swaider in addition to a few other methods. Like I said, he is very proficient using the knaider/swaider. Its impressive to see him climb. I have tried the knaider and swaider and its just not for me. I do use the WE steps sometimes but use a little different climbing method from the kknaider/swaider

My current primary climbing method is referred to as one-sticking. I have made a few minor changes to my setup but here's a video from last year.

I'm sure we'll be doing at least one get together this spring. Hope you can make it, they're a lot of fun and its good to get input from others on thier methods. I've been doing this a while now and I still seem to learn something new every time I'm at one. Plus, this saddlehunting community is a bunch of great guys, its good to get together with them in person once in a while.

I'm SE of Flint if you want to meet up sometime. I don't use WE Stepps, but have a lot of other stuff I can demo and let you try out. Looking forward to the next Michigan Demo Day, but SaddlePalooza is next on the calendar!

I live in Plainwell which isn't too far from Hudsonville. I used WE steps with the knaider/swaider as my primary climbing method this year. I also used WE steps for 2 years as a platform but switched to an Out on a Limb platform this year. I'd be happy to help or meet up.

I am down in Hudsonville but make my way around the state over the course of the year. I plan on practicing with this system, shooting and setting up many times prior to season. I have a chunk of public down the road from my house I could set up and shot from different types of trees and dial in my set up. Does @T.Clarke use the wild edge steps?

I do not have a mobile climbing method so clean slate but have set up lone wolf stick before when using family members’ equipment. I have used a climber for 3 years otherwise I have been hunting pre hung sets for the past 15 years.

You’re in the right place, plenty of great experience to tap into in Michigan.
I’m in Midland but I travel all over the state quite a bit.
I have a ton of saddle gear and climbing methods to play with, every size Mantis saddle, predator platforms, wild edge steps, aiders, knaider and swaider...the list goes on. I’m planning on hosting a few saddle demos in the spring/ summer but we can meet up anytime if you’re trying to get into it sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all, when is the Demo Day? @floathunter3 I may have to PM you on specifics. @T.Clarke how will you post the dates and locations?

@boyne bowhunter Thanks for the videos and suggestions on climbing methods I had seen those over the past few weeks as I looked at different climbing methods, there are a lot of great threads on here I found before I decided to post this looking for local resources.

I drive through (well on 196) H-ville every day. I use sticks and ROS, so I'm no help in the WE department. I do have a Kite and Flex in a size 2 if you want to sit in one.

I drive through (well on 196) H-ville every day. I use sticks and ROS, so I'm no help in the WE department. I do have a Kite and Flex in a size 2 if you want to sit in one.
I did purchase the mantis already but if for some reason I am unsatisfied with the fit etc. I may reach out to you to check out the Areo Hunter.

I’m just up the road in Byron Center. I use the WE Steps, just got the knaider/swaider and plan to get the hang of it this winter/spring. Shoot me a PM, after the holidays life should chill out a bit and I’ll have you over to check out the system and climb some trees. I also have a JX3 Hybrid if you want to check that out and see what all day comfort is all about :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in Muskegon county with the set up that you want to try I’ve got the set up you are looking for shoot me a PM if you want to check it out sometime

First time post. I have been reading all I can on here before making any purchase. Have never hunted out of a saddle but am giving up my lease next year and will be hunting public land (SW Michigan)
Demo day sounds awesome.
also thanks to everyone that post their tips and tricks

First time post. I have been reading all I can on here before making any purchase. Have never hunted out of a saddle but am giving up my lease next year and will be hunting public land (SW Michigan)
Demo day sounds awesome.
also thanks to everyone that post their tips and tricks
Welcome from the Boyne area. Look forward to meeting you at one of the demo days.

Back