• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for some winter boots

DC10

I'm looking to buy a new pair of winter boots that need to be 100% waterproof, comfortable for long walk-ins, not super heavy, and without a doubt keep your feet warm. Any recommendations?

I'm looking to buy a new pair of winter boots that need to be 100% waterproof, comfortable for long walk-ins, not super heavy, and without a doubt keep your feet warm. Any recommendations?
Following

I’ve had Lacrosse Alpha Burly Pro 800s for about 2 seasons now. I wear them with just 1 pair of wool socks and my feet have stayed warm. It was 35 degrees today with 13mph winds in NY and my feet weren’t uncomfortable. I believe they advertise as waterproof and scent proof. They’re a tad bulky but i’ve never had an issue climbing with them (using WE Steps and a knaider/Swaider.

In this video, John Eberhart goes over all his gear and at the 17:30 mark, he starts going over the different boots he has:

Hopefully, that can help point you in the right direction.

I'm using Muck Fieldblazer classic since they're waterproof and light but will definitely be relying on heavy merino wool socks for actual warmth.

I couldn't afford the Muck Arctics but figured I'd see how well these boots plus good socks could handle winter weather here in downstate NY

Baffin are good kit. My dad wore those working in the north slope. Those and old school sorels before they turned to crap.
I have a pair of the muck arctic. Warm and not too bad for long walks if you put some nice insoles in them.

That’s one of the ones I’m looking at. How heavy/bulky are they and are the good for long walks in?
They aren’t any heavier than any other warm boot I have tried. I have no problem with them on a ros. They are not uncomfortable for walking in but not as nice as an uninsulated boot, they are not ankle fit.

Baffin Titans are surprisingly easy to walk in and comfortable. The throat of the boot is a bit large and can make wearing your pants over your boots a bit tricky, however most bibs fit over them just fine.

I found that my feet stayed warmer in these boots with a much thinner merino sock. It allows the moister to wick, and allows enough air gap for my socks to dry out if my feet sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back