• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for tips packing out whitetail.

Jeremy_D

I have the ultralight deer hoist and MR Pintler ordered. I also got the MR back strap so I can lose my pack on the 2nd trip. I hope to put together a plan to get my deer out in 2 trips by my self.
I'm in Wisconsin. We have to bring out everything except the entrails and in no less then 5 parts. The legs from the nuckle below the shank can be separated from the main leg and the hide don't count as the 5 parts but you have to bring them out.
So guys with packing experience. How would you break this down to get it out in 2 trips? I was thinking my 1st trip would be the 4 quarters (is that too much?) 2nd trip would be hide rib cage head and left over leg parts.Remember my 1st trip out Id probably have my hunting bag with my gear in it.

I usually bone out the meat, put it in game bags, and pack out in one trip. Since you can’t, here’s what I’d do.

Completely skin the deer out but keep the hide attached with the head fold it up real nice. First and foremost, grab them tenders and place them in a ziplock baggy along with your backstrap. Four quarters go into game bags. I’d put the hind quarters in the pack first with the hams down. The shoulders next with the blades down in front of the hams. I’d cut the ribs off the spinal column and put both pieces flat together packing them next (they should wrap around the quarters nicely). Head with hide attached would strap on top. Find an extra slot for the spine and pelvis; wherever it’ll fit.

I bring out all 4 quarters + the backstraps/neck/trim meat+ the head. On a big buck I estimate about an 80 pound load but I've never weighed it. I do know it's right on my upper limit. If I don't have any time constraints I prefer to do two loads. Having to bring out unnecessary bones and the skin I guess you could do all that in a second load but wow is that a stupid regulation. The hide alone has to weigh a good 25 pounds, the spinal column another 20 or so.

JW619Y0.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I kind of understand not having carcasses all over the woods. Itd be nice if they tried a couple years of being able to leave stuff behind to see how much of a problem it would actually be. Every hunter I know around me drags them out. Maybe that would change though if you didnt have to bring so much out of the woods. I completly agree about the hide, its heavy and is gone quickly.

Anyone know where Mi. stands on this? I was looking into packing them out this year, but not much point if I have to bring out the hide, spine, etc.

I’ve never understood states that make you take the bones out. If the animal has CWD wouldn’t you want that stuff to stay where it came from to prevent spreading it? Moving the bones to another location seems counterproductive to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never understood states that make you take the bones out. If the animal has CWD wouldn’t you want that stuff to stay where it came from to prevent spreading it? Moving the bones to another location seems counterproductive to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the intent is to make sure it ends up in an approved landfill rather than randomly scattered in the forest. Not sure I agree since obviously hunters don't account for all deer kills but it would explain the intent behind the requirement.

Anyone know where Mi. stands on this? I was looking into packing them out this year, but not much point if I have to bring out the hide, spine, etc.
The Michigan wording around this has changed. Direct from the 2018 Guide:

"Deer Carcass Disposal
Dumping of deer carcasses or other wild animals is unlawful, can spread disease,
and may result in a ticket. Hunters who process their deer should properly
dispose of all parts. The hide, brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, bones, and
head should be disposed of in an approved landfill. "

I couldn't find this specific wording included in the new guide but there is a lot more detail around what can and can't be moved from the designated CWD areas.

Last edited:
I plan on packing out deer if I have to, just to be able to split it into multiple trips, even though we have to take out everything.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

To me your losing all the advantages of butchering on site. Just as well haul the deer cart with you and push it out IMO.

Yeah what’s the point then if your still taking everything out and like @flinginairos said your potentially spreading it by transporting to another location. In Louisiana you may leave the carcass where you harvested the animal if you don’t have the means to move the entire animal. It even says in the reg if there is CWD in the area your not spreading it bc it would already be present. But rules are rules I guess, even if they don’t make a lot of sense.

Sent from parts unknown

To me your losing all the advantages of butchering on site. Just as well haul the deer cart with you and push it out IMO.
From looking around it seems most who go to packing them out agree its a lot easier then any other method. It seems THP has switched to it after displaying carts in a bunch of their videos and they shoot a ton of deer. I hunt public land and almost all public land around me is public because its basically unfarmable, meaning hills, rock, swamp...junk. You are not easily getting a cart through most of it especially with a deer on it. I also want to be self sufficient. Carrying out means I dont have to ask anybody at 9pm on a work night to walk through the **** I did just to help drag out a deer.

If you could get both hindquarters out on your first trip out you could bring back a jet sled on the second and haul the rest out. That way you would only have to remove the hinds in the field and make one extra trip. We are big fans of the sleds in my deer camp.

If you could get both hindquarters out on your first trip out you could bring back a jet sled on the second and haul the rest out. That way you would only have to remove the hinds in the field and make one extra trip. We are big fans of the sleds in my deer camp.
I have a sled and I think my 1st attempt will be to bring out the hinds on my 1st trip out like you say. Go back in with my pack and sled,load the fronts, back straps and trim on my pack and put the junk (hide rib cage leg parts head) in the sled and come out.

From looking around it seems most who go to packing them out agree its a lot easier then any other method. It seems THP has switched to it after displaying carts in a bunch of their videos and they shoot a ton of deer. I hunt public land and almost all public land around me is public because its basically unfarmable, meaning hills, rock, swamp...junk. You are not easily getting a cart through most of it especially with a deer on it. I also want to be self sufficient. Carrying out means I dont have to ask anybody at 9pm on a work night to walk through the **** I did just to help drag out a deer.

It "is" easier until you have to go back for the spine, pelvis, hide, neck and skull. On a mature rutted up buck you aint getting that in one trip. Your looking at 70lbs +or- per trip not counting what you hauled in with you. Its easier on a June practice run on a walking trail than it is in Nov when its been raining for 2 days and you wack a good one.

Ive hauled 100's of deer out in everyway imaginable thru corn fields that would suck your boots off and green briar patches you got to walk backwards thru for fear of bleeding to death. You'll feel physically better going 1 trip with a cart than hoping you can do 2 trips with a pack. Not to mention Id be really bitter making that 2nd trip for items I cant eat.

Most of the time the THP boys are at least 2 deep sometimes more so you have to throw that out.

Back