• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for waterproof chaps for accessing my treestand.

Newhunter1

SH Member
@Nutterbuster I know you are knowledgeable about wading and waders. I am looking for some type of chap that will go to my hip and will fit over my boot without taking my boot off. I have boot gaiters and the water will come under between the boot and gaiter and then over the top of my mid-calf boot. Does Yoder make a bootless waterproof chap? Will hip chaps stop the water from coming into my boot? The only place that I can hunt on one piece of property is accessed by wading a creek that gets above knee high. Don't want to buy chest wader and don't want to take off my boots in order to keep my feet dry. Just takes to much time.

I don't see how you are going to stop the water from getting into your boot with a gaiter. The yoder chaps on a pair of tingley's are pretty great IMO.

@Nutterbuster I know you are knowledgeable about wading and waders. I am looking for some type of chap that will go to my hip and will fit over my boot without taking my boot off. I have boot gaiters and the water will come under between the boot and gaiter and then over the top of my mid-calf boot. Does Yoder make a bootless waterproof chap? Will hip chaps stop the water from coming into my boot? The only place that I can hunt on one piece of property is accessed by wading a creek that gets above knee high. Don't want to buy chest wader and don't want to take off my boots in order to keep my feet dry. Just takes to much time.
If you don't want to take your boots off I'd throw a couple of trash bags and a roll of tape in the pack and go. I like to just wear yoders and roll them up when I need them.

I spun this scenario for hundreds, if not thousands of hours and got a functional piece of gear to do exactly what you’re wanting to do. Total system weighed less than two pounds, and the bags doubled as game bags. And they zipped tight around my legs so no issue wjth current.

then I discovered chota hippies. I paired them with simms lightest wading boot. If I’m huntjng water, I use this system. I can hunt down to 30’s with no thought. if it will be below freezing I bring down booties and leave my wading Boots at base of tree. They don’t have foot scent because the chotas are waterproof neoprene.

my suggestion is if you cross this water and hunt sub freezing weather all the time, stash a boat to cross. Pirogues are made for this scenario. If it’s warmer sometimes, consider the hippies.

as an aside, I usually roll them down and tuck inside my outer pant layer. But If it’s windy, they make a great wind layer. I leave them up, and put quiet outer layer over them.

Dan's Frog Legs. I picked up a pair and have been wearing them scouting this spring. So far I have been very impressed.

-Dan

I have Dan's Frog legs water proof, briar proof, and snack proof. I am in St Charles you are more then welcome to check them out if you want.

I had a pair of yoder tingleys. They were so light. But I still had to change over and back if I was going a long distance and/ or it was cold. I tried trash bags... thats hack and current is a nightmare if its deep. I bought a cheap pair of those wiggy style ones. I liked them but they ripped up. I think my next try will be the Wiggy's. I have alot of his products, they have never let me down. I have the Dan's connected to Mucks... they are just so heavy. How tough are the Wiggy's?

Back