• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking to link up for a CO OTC archery elk hunt

heretic

SH Member
Hey all,

So I have a group of guys that I was going to invite to come with me this year to CO on an OTC archery elk hunt. Unfortunately I was suffering from an old shoulder injury (AC joint separation) at the end of last season that had me concerned that I would not be able to draw a bow back by September of this year, so I pre-emptively canceled the trip.

Fast-forward a few months and a couple of doctor's visits later and I can draw my bow back without pain! Unfortunately I'm a day late and a dollar short as none of the guys in my original group can really commit to an elk hunt this fall. I've got one more guy I can ask, however I'm fairly certain he won't have the gear in time. I'm fully prepared to go in solo if necessary but figured it would be prudent to link up with other hunters if possible.

I'll probably bring my saddle again this year but (like last year) it will probably stay in the truck (unless I find a nice fresh wallow not too far from the truck). I'm down for any kind of hunting: road bugling, spike camp, base camp, back country bivy, however I have the gear and the preference to do a back country bivy for 4-5 days at a time (anywhere from 2 to 7 miles from the road/trailhead). I've already e-scouted 3 or 4 OTC units but I am completely willing to hunt elsewhere if need be.

This is my second year chasing elk so I'm still fairly new, however I'm already a decent caller: I'm single, live alone, have no kids, and I really hate my neighbors so I put in A LOT of practice.

I'm not quite a blank canvas, but my brain is a sponge. I've probably consumed every bit of content on the topic of elk hunting from people like Corey Jacobson, Randy Newberg, and Born and Raised Outdoors. That, combined with everything that I've learned on the mountain from last year, and all the years of experience I have chasing whitetails I feel like I have a rough basic understanding of how to get close to elk. However I'm not too proud to admit that I don't know what I don't know and am always willing and eager to learn more.

If it interests you, and you have room for one more at your camp, let me know!

Man I’m dying to go on an elk hunt soon. It would be cool to get a group of guys from the forum to go. I feel like I have all of the physical ability and gear and grit but have no idea about the logistics and tactics of elk hunting. So I would just be an ignorant but useful pack mule lol

I have the equipment and the desire but not sure i can commit the time. I have gone one time to hunt otc elk in Colorado. I got humbled. Did not even see an elk the whole trip. Would love to go again.i will follow this thread. When do you need commitments?

I could definitely do a trip back out west to chase elk with the bow or gun! Went last year to Idaho for my first elk hunt.

If a trip gets organized or needs to be, I’m in!

Man I’m dying to go on an elk hunt soon. It would be cool to get a group of guys from the forum to go. I feel like I have all of the physical ability and gear and grit but have no idea about the logistics and tactics of elk hunting. So I would just be an ignorant but useful pack mule lol

after two seasons for my crew and having 10 bulls in range, and loosing 7 arrows, and having nothing to show for it but wounded pride and Christmas toes, I’m convinced ignorant pack mule is the way to be.

Also, I wouldn’t choose my mountain hunting partners by experience or hunting skills. I’d choose them by their ability to not quit, and say yes to any dumb idea you have out there. Elk aren’t hard to get a shot at once you find them. And by find them I mean get yourself within a couple hundred yards without them knowing. It’s the ability to get there repeatedly that separates the men from the boys. And it isn’t being smart. It’s being out of your mind.

Also, I wouldn’t choose my mountain hunting partners by experience or hunting skills. I’d choose them by their ability to not quit, and say yes to any dumb idea you have out there. Elk aren’t hard to get a shot at once you find them. And by find them I mean get yourself within a couple hundred yards without them knowing. It’s the ability to get there repeatedly that separates the men from the boys. And it isn’t being smart. It’s being out of your mind.
That’s me in a nutshell lol. Not that smart but full of grit and energy. That’s the appeal of elk hunting or any western hunting to me. Having to hike hard and hunt hard to get to where the critters are

Reactions: swd
That last line gave me flashbacks to last year of my hunting partner; with a look of horror on his face as I turn to him and said, "We're going." moments before running straight down a steep cut to beat a bull to a creek bottom on the falling thermals.

Last year I felt like I was doing more babysitting than hunting. This year I'd like to go with guys just as crazy/stupid as I am. I'm not going to lie, lockdown has me a bit more chonky than I'd like. So I'll probably need more breaks than last year :laughing:

I'm all for planning a group hunt if you guys are down. As far as timelines, it looks like OTC and leftover tags go on sale on August 3rd of this year. I'd like to have a group locked in by then. I'll most likely pickup a leftover bear tag for whatever unit(s) we decide on.

The mental image I use to motivate myself during training is chasing down elk
Hiking hills yesterday with 50lbs in my backpack this was my focus too. "This is to get up the mountain to the elk."

I am very interested in this if you are putting something together and y'all will have me. I was semi-planning a solo trip this year for either elk or mule deer based on travel restrictions. Anything to experience hunting out west. I've hiked and mtn biked CO a fair bit but have never hunted. I have a son in school at CSU and the plan is to visit him this summer, climb a couple 14ers (I've done a few of the easier ones), and hopefully drive through some areas to get a feel for what to expect. I am open to any type of setup. I was planning on setting up a covered trailer to hunt out of but could also do a back country bivy. I also have a 30ft travel trailer with 4 bunks in back that sleeps 8 if you wanted to set up a base camp and the terrain was amenable to towing such a big rig in to.

after two seasons for my crew and having 10 bulls in range, and loosing 7 arrows, and having nothing to show for it but wounded pride and Christmas toes, I’m convinced ignorant pack mule is the way to be.
the average elk hunter only harvest 1 bull every 10 years and only see elk every other year so dont feel bad.i know guys with 20 years on the books and no harvest.but the oregon coast and colorado are nothing alike.and rosivelt do not behave like rockys.

Cascade range ...its nicer than the coast range.adventures never end out here.you can check out some of my wilderness pics .alot of elk country.elk 101 did 2 whole seasons on the coast . they teamed up with angry spike.and made some good footage showing what its like out here .makes me feel at home

Last edited:
Found these all in the same creek headwaters.brown one was still bleeding when i found it.not trying to hijack the thread but this canyon is blm with alot of camping spots.and has an ohv park all around it.if you ever want to party as west as west gets.i party with everyone.and never heard of any one harvesting a rosie from a saddle

Last edited:
I would tell you to come out and hunt but I will be in Alaska most of this September. Sorry

Hope I draw a tag for the area I have been hunting. If not I may get an OTC tag for a nearby unit.

Good advice above. “Strong back, weak mind”. From what you are describing, that’s the saying that comes to mind! And, yes, that’s a good characteristic to look for in a partner. When elk hunting you have to have a strong back, and the ability to turn off the mind and “just send it” for days on end. I’m out here for one thing, and that is to fill a tag. Nothing else matters.

Quick update: I'm waiting on Missouri's second Elk draw results before forming any major CO OTC plans. My chances are stupid slim so there's a good chance I'll be putting something together for CO. Draw results in MO are July 1st, so I'll know more by then.

Back