• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Louisiana Saddle Hunter's Thread

kyler1945

SH Member
We have a handful of guys on the site now, and I figured we'd get a little place to drop our hunt stories, experiences, and hopefully help each other out. Everyone Louisiana or not feel free to comment!

I got to meet BCsportsman last week on a small sale of equipment. Looking forward to hearing scouting and hunting successes in the boot from other members!

This will be year three for me exclusively hunting facing the tree in slings and saddles. I've had a web for 6 or 7 seasons, and used it a fair amount along with my old hangon. I think I am dialed in for this season, and my confidence in not thinking about gear and just thinking about hunting is moving up!

I've got too many slings, too many platforms, and too many ropes and straps and rigging devices. After a couple of years, I'm finally whittling the pile down to what works best for me. It's been a fun process.

Ok Cajuns, maybe we can convince the powers that be to have a Louisiana team for the deer hunting contest...

We have a handful of guys on the site now, and I figured we'd get a little place to drop our hunt stories, experiences, and hopefully help each other out. Everyone Louisiana or not feel free to comment!

I got to meet BCsportsman last week on a small sale of equipment. Looking forward to hearing scouting and hunting successes in the boot from other members!

This will be year three for me exclusively hunting facing the tree in slings and saddles. I've had a web for 6 or 7 seasons, and used it a fair amount along with my old hangon. I think I am dialed in for this season, and my confidence in not thinking about gear and just thinking about hunting is moving up!

I've got too many slings, too many platforms, and too many ropes and straps and rigging devices. After a couple of years, I'm finally whittling the pile down to what works best for me. It's been a fun process.

Ok Cajuns, maybe we can convince the powers that be to have a Louisiana team for the deer hunting contest...
Here we go! Team Louisiana!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Thanks for setting this up @kyler1945 .

This is going to be my first year in the saddle (Mantis on the way) and I'm having my third child any day now. Put those things together, I don't have high hopes for success. My goal for this season is to learn my equipment, hunt smart when I have the opportunity, and put a little meat in the freezer.

I mostly hunt public (Lake Ramsey WMA) but have permission on a real small piece in St. Gabriel and hunt my dad's 40 in Alabama a few times. I hope to put some time in at Tunica and Sherburne. I'll be honest, both of those areas are intimidating to me. I grew up hunting the rolling piney hills of Alabama, so steep cliffs and swamps are totally new to me.

Anyway, you gents want to get together for a camping, hunting, or scouting trip like @denots mentioned, I'm game.

Looking forward to hearing your stories and learning from you fellas.

This will be my second year hunting out of a saddle. I'm definitely looking forward to this year. I have completely falling head over heels in love with shooting a recurve. I have made the decision that this year the only weapon I am packing in the woods is my recurve. So I'm not really sure if I would be a big benefit for team Louisiana but I'll give it my all. I've accepted the fact that I may come back empty-handed every day this year with exception of the knowledge and lessons that I learned each and every hunt. I'm taking the approach that if you never take the training wheels off the bike will never learn how to ride on two wheels. Anyway I'm glad you created this thread I was going to do one similar to see if some of the guys from the boot would like to get together and maybe do a camping/ hunting trip so we could all get to know each other a little better. I'm sure most guys have their places they want to be for the rut so I figured that time of the year is out, but maybe we could all collaborate on a central location with decent camping. My wife is taking off for two weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas so I can spend that entire time hunting. I was planning on spending those two weeks in tensas. But if y'all wanted to get together somewhere else maybe in that time frame for a weekend hunt that would be just fine by me. Let me know what y'all are thinking and see if we can put something together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I only got to scout a couple of days so I'm going in blind for the most part. I'm going to start around little bear and go from there.

I never hunted that side. I will say ive seen deer from every stand ive ever sat there.

Were going to have to all get together. I hunt Tensas some. Not much, but some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Hunter's bend the only Campground on The Refuge? I've been by there and they have lots of camper spots which I would assume fill up quick and their primitive area doesn't look like much but they do have a bathroom in a shower there.

Is Hunter's bend the only Campground on The Refuge? I've been by there and they have lots of camper spots which I would assume fill up quick and their primitive area doesn't look like much but they do have a bathroom in a shower there.

Yea thats it. The bathrooms are well kept but a busy wknd it will be packed

This is our first year hunting from saddles. I prepped a water oak in the back yard and we're working at 25' from 5-30 yards with good success on targets. We hunt Maurepas, Pearl River and Kisatchie as well as private land in Area 2.

I only got to scout a couple of days so I'm going in blind for the most part. I'm going to start around little bear and go from there.

I use to love hunting around little bear. It’s been years since I hunted it but the few places I hunted in tensas that was one of my favorites. Then again I didn’t know a thing about hunting then.

This will be my second year hunting out of a saddle. I'm definitely looking forward to this year. I have completely falling head over heels in love with shooting a recurve. I have made the decision that this year the only weapon I am packing in the woods is my recurve. So I'm not really sure if I would be a big benefit for team Louisiana but I'll give it my all. I've accepted the fact that I may come back empty-handed every day this year with exception of the knowledge and lessons that I learned each and every hunt. I'm taking the approach that if you never take the training wheels off the bike will never learn how to ride on two wheels. Anyway I'm glad you created this thread I was going to do one similar to see if some of the guys from the boot would like to get together and maybe do a camping/ hunting trip so we could all get to know each other a little better. I'm sure most guys have their places they want to be for the rut so I figured that time of the year is out, but maybe we could all collaborate on a central location with decent camping. My wife is taking off for two weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas so I can spend that entire time hunting. I was planning on spending those two weeks in tensas. But if y'all wanted to get together somewhere else maybe in that time frame for a weekend hunt that would be just fine by me. Let me know what y'all are thinking and see if we can put something together.

Ive played with traditional for a few years but I would still hunt with my compound. And last year I made the switch to go all traditional. Kinda like the saddle I don’t see any other way to hunt now.

Also We might have to do ourselves a Louisiana saddlepalooza. Just say the spot and I’m there.

I'm self employed, and my work is seasonal. So after the grass slows down and with exception of the week before Christmas and Thanksgiving I can pretty much finagle my schedule however I need to. I almost never have to work a weekend and there are plenty days during the week that I can be off to make a trip. The only public land I'm familiar with is tensas and that is very limited. So if there are any of you guys who have hunted other places and are familiar with their camping Arrangements I would be open to any suggestions. From the Monday after Thanksgiving until I think the 13th of December I will be hunting tensas. I know the modern firearm lotteries and the primitive Firearms hunt Falls in that time zone on the weekends so it'll probably be pretty busy around there, but I'll plan on doing most of my hunting during the week. So I don't know if any of y'all want to try to make that trip or not. Sounds like a few of y'all are going to be up there already. I will probably mostly be staying at my friends camp in Tallulah, but would be down for bringing my tent and doing some camping with the rest of you guys if y'all would like to try to get together. I can contact Hunter's Bend and see what availabilities they have for primitive camping. Is anyone available for a weekday hunt or is it mostly going to be weekend? Sorry y'all I'm not used to taking point on stuff like this.

Back