• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lucky first saddle buck.

Bowmanmike

I had an interesting afternoon/evening yesterday. I headed to the woods late and wanted to hunt a pinch point leading to an oak flat. I picked a tree and used my throwball and hit the split first try. The maple was shaggy barked and my line got stuck in the split. I ended up having to cut the throwline and try a different tree. I had spooked two young does on my way in and they ran past as i was getting set up at another tree. I also hit the crotch there first try. I am learning that a limb is better than a split in the tree trunks for pulling the rope over.
I got settled and could see a long way all around me. I was facing and overgrown field and saw a deer move through the corner. I was counting on the the deer staying in the woods but they didn't and skirted through the field which put them at 55 yds and out of range. The first one was a decent buck. He may have caught my wind because he bounded off. Five deer filtered through on the same path and one started to blow like crazy for 15 minutes,probably 150 yds from me. I watched another deer listen to that and try to decide where it should go. It was funny. I was happy i had seen some deer at least, even if they were out of range. Just before closing time I saw some deer to my left,well in the woods on a good trail i had crossed earlier. Two young does but a bigger deer was trailing them. I decided to shoot him if i got a chance. I ranged the does as they walked past at 35 yds at the closest. A little further than i like but do-able.
The buck followed and i had to stop him,never tried that before. I had to bleat fairly loud but he stopped. I released and the arrow looked good but forward. I think he loaded his legs and went down and back a touch. The lighted nock was a winner as far as tracking the arrow went. It flew perfect until it got to him or just before him,then it did a dive. Maybe from striking him or a branch that i hadn't seen until i got down.
The arrow was very clean and buried in the dirt to the fletching. I thought i missed. It was dark by now. I scanned the area and found some hair,so not a complete miss. It was white and gray. I thought i grazed him in the low neck area or under the chest. I decided to follow his trail,i had watched him for about 60 yds before he disappeared. I found blood,fairly bright but no bubbles. Seeing the blood was tricky,there are so many leaves with specks of red on the ground right now here in NY its crazy.
The blood trail got better,and i could see where he stopped and there was a small puddle. It was weird since the arrow was so clean. I followed further and the trail got pretty heavy, i was surprised.
I followed for maybe about 275 yds and spooked some deer in the dark. The bloodtrail was getting lighter now,i assumed it was clotting up. Now it was over an hour after i shot and i could barely find a drop here and there. The spooked deer kept looking at me,at first i wasn't sure if it was deer eyes or coyote eyes looking at me. That was spooky.
The bloodtrail veered to the left and much to my surprise the buck lay 30 yds in front of me. I did not expect that at all. Altogether he probably went 375 yds. I walked over and checked him out and was surprised to see that he was a forkhorn. His rack is fairly heavy and well beyond his ears. I wonder if he is a biiig 1.5 year old or a small racked 2.5 year old.
I shot him through the neck as it turns out,mid body height. He must have bled out. I never gutted a deer without blood in the body cavity or the lung area. That was different.
I am happy i got him. I was a good 20' up in the tree so i would blend with the first branches. I love saddle hunting,this shot would have been the opposite side of where i would have faced my climber.
It was my 6 o'clock which was easy to do.
This came at the right time as i wont be able to hunt for the next two weeks. Meat in the freezer,that takes the pressure off.20201026_103636.jpg

Congrats! Thanks for the write up. My daughter hit one similarly once and severed the windpipe. That's what lead to the demise of hers.

Back