• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lures and scents

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Curious to hear if anyone uses any type of scent lures and if so during what phase of the season. I normally don't but have in the past on occasion with little success. Most of them seemed to be a joke even when used during recommended times. The only thing I've ever used that worked are real tarsals and the code blue tarsal glands. Last season I had a 7 pointer walk in and put his nose against a code blue tarsal at just after 1pm outside of the rut. Wasn't a mature buck but I was surprised he showed up. What are your experiences?

I have used Harmon Scents and Paula&Boyd’s scents with great success during the rut phases. Tarsal glands are a no-brainer. I have had lots of success using subordinate and dominant buck glands. During the early and late season I always use Bowhunter’s Fatal Obsession. Deer love it.

I've tried quite a few scents none worked except

Wall Hanger by James Valley Company

only works for dominant bucks, scares away less dominant bucks
had the largest buck I've ever seen come crashing thru the brush looking for a fight
unfortunately my shot missed him but from what I heard he makes his scents like trappers do the old fashion way

Scents I have do work. However, Va has banned them due to potential of transmitting disease.

I had used a deer decoy several with success over the years.

I had to switch to synthetic due to state law. I bought Code Blue Dom buck, Doe Estrous, and Deer Scent this year since I have a pro deal. Took a smell of each and never used them. Get used to not relying on scents because soon your state most likely will not allow real urine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to switch to synthetic due to state law. I bought Code Blue Dom buck, Doe Estrous, and Deer Scent this year since I have a pro deal. Took a smell of each and never used them. Get used to not relying on scents because soon your state most likely will not allow real urine.

hope they don't ban peeing in scrapes LOL

I second Bowhunter fatal obsession. That all I use if I use anything. My theory is if the smell it they might smell where I been so I’ll just try to use what they leave to my advantage.

The two P&Y bucks that I harvest were taken using Buck Suicide . That was in 2006 & 2007 but I can't fine it anywhere. Got it from a local archery shop and when the owner sold the shop I couldn't get it anymore. Had good luck with Roger Raglin's Maniac 150.

Attachments

• 0124161540.jpg
    0124161540.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 34
I have used Harmon Scents and Paula&Boyd’s scents with great success during the rut phases. Tarsal glands are a no-brainer. I have had lots of success using subordinate and dominant buck glands. During the early and late season I always use Bowhunter’s Fatal Obsession. Deer love it.

I saved some buck glands for this reason. How do you go about preparing them for use Huck?

I have used Tinks 69 for years. Code Blue doe in estrous is a good one. I also cut tarsal glands off depending on the ripeness. We won't be using real deer urine next season in The Sip.

I have thought about this quite a bit and since all urine converts to amonia within a few min( why guys dont get busted peeing in scrapes)... I cant see the benefit of any commercial urine product. I believe why it works for some is merely the mood of the deer and not the quality of the product.

Just a little deductive reasoning fellas.

I've used James Valley scents with varying levels of success, I've never had a negative reaction, so that is a plus for me. I've also used Evercalm and this year I used VS1, I'm not sold on the VS1, but I had does walk in on my path after putting evercalm on my boots. Nosejammer is another one i've used, I've had deer come right up to my tree and sniff the base, mostly bucks and yearlings. The old does don't like it, in my experience...

I've always had pretty good luck with scents. I used one brand, it was only regionally available, had pretty good luck with it. Then I met the guy who made it at a sportsman show, the guy was a real tool so I swore I wouldn't put another penny in his pocket, so I quit buying his lure. It took me a couple of years of trial and error before I found the lure I currently use. I'd have to say I have pretty good luck with it. Lures are a little like calling sometimes it works, and sometimes the deer seem to have other things on their minds. I have killed some nicer bucks using lures, but always in conjunction with calling. As far as the seasons go, I'd have to say pre rut, through the rut.

I tried the evercalm stuff and I felt like it was keeping deer away actually. I was using it in an area I frequently saw deer and when I started using evercalm it was a ghost town. Went back the next week and hung a code blue tarsal and killed a doe. My buddy up in Michigan swears by the VS-1 though. Maybe it depends on the area. We'll prolly never know.

I ll start by saying I’m no expert. But what I try to do is use scents that aren’t mass produced or really popular companies. Ie tinks 69 gets used by everyone who goes to Walmart and bucks smell it all over the place. I think it probably dimenicious the effectiveness. Places I hunt where scent is legal I have had success with a brand developed by a trapper. It’s a tiny company and his stuff is great. I use a preorbital gland, doe in heat, buck in rut with tarsal and scrape dripped. Not all at once but based on the time of year and site location. I also use scenthetic scents in my home state. Because of our laws. Not as much luck with those so far. Haven’t found the right one I guess.

I ll start by saying I’m no expert. But what I try to do is use scents that aren’t mass produced or really popular companies. Ie tinks 69 gets used by everyone who goes to Walmart and bucks smell it all over the place. I think it probably dimenicious the effectiveness. Places I hunt where scent is legal I have had success with a brand developed by a trapper. It’s a tiny company and his stuff is great. I use a preorbital gland, doe in heat, buck in rut with tarsal and scrape dripped. Not all at once but based on the time of year and site location. I also use scenthetic scents in my home state. Because of our laws. Not as much luck with those so far. Haven’t found the right one I guess.

I experimented with many of the scents and for me all the urine scents seem useless
especially when you can urinate in a scrape and it's the same as any other deer in addition as you mentioned everyone uses them

I like the trapper made type of scents they seem to work the best for me
especially the James Valley scents, what brand is your trapper scent?
I would like to try it and see if I get any responses

I like the trapper made type of scents they seem to work the best for me
especially the James Valley scents, what brand is your trapper scent?
I would like to try it and see if I get any responses

Its a secret. :)

I am really not sold, for years I have had success with Code Blue, but saying that urine has now been outlawed in Arkansas due to CWD. I have no clue or experience with synthetic scents so for the last two years I’ve hunted scent free. My deer harvest numbers and sightings are about the same as previous years. In conclusion I’m wondering if it really was effective or was it just a fluke. Sounds like the camo pattern debate eh?

Back