• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LWCG Double Step stick review

huntin_addict

Ok guys & gals, got my LWCG Double Steps in a couple days ago & figured I would give an unbiased review. I won't give an unboxing and assembly review, that can be found elsewhere. For reference I run 6' and 225-230# depending on the meal and time of day. Also, let it be known I am not affiliated with LWCG at all, just a consumer who spent his hard earned cash on these and other pieces of gear.

After assembly, I put them on the tree and tried them out going up just a couple sticks high. I first tested with the included straps with buckles on a straight tree and if you follow the instructions on the how to use video, I was able to get them very solid.

Next I decided to try them out using 6.5' 7/64" amsteel daisy chain. Again on a straight tree I was able to set both of them extremely solid. In both instances I was also using a versa aider, and I am extremely happy with how it pairs with the stick and Amsteel. I also had zero bending of the micro versa button.

Next day I decided to do a full climb on a leaner with Amsteel. First, third and fourth sticks were set solidly, but the second stick, where the tree leaned the most, was a little unstable at the bottom, with 1 standoff not touching the tree if I shifted just right. However, I was not able to make the stick kick out, and it actually seemed to want to "tripod".

When these sticks are set into the tree they are extremely solid and flex very little (personally I didn't notice any flex). When you are on a tree with a little lean, care must be taken to ensure sticks are solidly set. With that said, I also feel the same could be said for any stick on a leaning tree.

I also wanted to see packability with the Ambush and I was pleased with how compact I am able to keep the whole system, with daisy chains stored on the sticks (see attached).

In conclusion, after trying multiple sticks I am going to be making these the go to for this season and the foreseeable future. I really like how compact they can pack down, as well as the reduced fiddle factor as compared to some of the others. I may carry one buckle strap for an instance where I have a leaning tree that I need to climb, but for all intents and purposes, I think these coupled with Amsteel daisy chains and a versa aider will work out well. If I have a failure or deformation I will follow up.
20200901_185220.jpg20200901_185452.jpg20200901_185506.jpg

Last edited:
Nice review! Just got mine, set them up on a few trees and am loving them. Lwcg did a great job with them imo

These honestly seem like the best steps ever made, I hope they stick around and they don’t discontinue them before I can get my hands on them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These honestly seem like the best steps ever made, I hope they stick around and they don’t discontinue them before I can get my hands on them!

One thing I would like to add. They nest together nicely, however, they do make metal on metal noise nesting them together and separating them if you are not extremely careful. Never felt the need for stealth strips before, but with these I may have to lay some down.

One thing I would like to add. They nest together nicely, however, they do make metal on metal noise nesting them together and separating them if you are not extremely careful. Never felt the need for stealth strips before, but with these I may have to lay some down.

Yea i agree. I ordered the lone wolf strips to try out. Should have them next week

I can see that, would definitely not deter me though and I would make any necessary adjustment to quiet them down. The stacking ability looks great but ultimately watching the way they set to the tree and the cambered out steps seem like such incredible features compared to the 20” Helium’s I’m using now.. I just can’t swing $500 for new sticks at the moment.

They definitely have a ting. I can even get them to ting just by giving them a thump, not even metal on metal. I wrapped mine in a layer of vet wrap and it quiets them down and didn't take anything away from the stacking ability.

If you put the sticks horizontal instead of vertical, the sticks fit a little tighter within the parameters of the platform. Sometimes if my stacks come below my platform on my back, the sticks can bang into my gear hoist that is on my saddle.

I have them set like this. They don't go any wider than my shoulders. The sticks are on the upper portion of my back.

unnamed.jpg

Looks good. I'm running the "j" hooks so I can't get all 4 together.

I've got a couple j hooks, they work much better on the single steps imo. They fit pretty tight into the doubles and I can see them making a lot of noise in some low light situations.

I really want a set of these. Wish I could find a way to justify these to my wife after purchasing minis last year. Hmmmm.

-Chuck

I guess you can't stack them with straps on?Are you guys carrying them in a bag or something?

I guess you can't stack them with straps on?Are you guys carrying them in a bag or something?

I carry all my straps including platform strap in my saddle pouch. I run everything but platform buckle-less so they don’t take up much space, the thicker material prevents tangling too.

Back