• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LWHC first sit impressions

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
I've tried a DIY platform, angled OOAL sticktop scout (its a great product!), stick step top, squirrel steps and treehopper steps, all of which are good products, but you have to find what works for you. Recently i traded a pretty slick little one stick setup for a LWHC seat from a member on here. The modified LWHC he sent me is in excellent condition.

first the good, the platform is good size, i can spin my size 12 mud boots completely around on the center of the LWHC with room to spare on the sides. It didn't feel squishy like i've heard some say, very solid. I didn't ratchet it down like some do, I wanted to wait to see what i thought. I was impressed with how far I could lean out from the platform, while keeping both feet on, before it would come loose. I think i could get almost a full rotation of the tree just by leaning out. Being able to stand and wrap the tether around my shoulder allows me to shoot weakside very easily.

The things i need to configure better to my needs are that i need to move the foot loops a little closer to the end, i think they are a bit too far forward for my liking. The tree I climbed was a bit too big for the climber, i think a smaller tree would have allowed me to move the strap up around the tree a bit better. I think the highest I can move my tether up the better, even if it takes me 2 moves per tether movement, i can slide my safeguard up to tighten the slack.

20201019_195957.jpg

I’ve been taking the LWHC out a bit this season and am enjoying it so far.

I usually don’t strap it down either. Not really needed.

It is not obvious from the picture so I just wanted to ask if you have a way to tether the platform to yourself? So that the platform can’t fall too far.

I keep waiting for them to release a climbing platform for saddle hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be interesting for sure. Question...I tried using a summit climber but I just couldnt really get any height. Do you guys have to shorten your bridge really short when using hand climber? I could only move a few inches at a time. And the tree was basketball size, maybe a tad larger.

That would be interesting for sure. Question...I tried using a summit climber but I just couldnt really get any height. Do you guys have to shorten your bridge really short when using hand climber? I could only move a few inches at a time. And the tree was basketball size, maybe a tad larger.

I don’t shorten my bridge. I set my tether as high as I can reach, adjust the hitch so that it pulls the saddle tight to me. Now I can sit in saddle and pull platform up a few feet. Stand on platform and move tether up. I try not to adjust the hitch if I can avoid the fiddling.

I don’t shorten my bridge. I set my tether as high as I can reach, adjust the hitch so that it pulls the saddle tight to me. Now I can sit in saddle and pull platform up a few feet. Stand on platform and move tether up. I try not to adjust the hitch if I can avoid the fiddling.
Maybe it was that I was moving tether up but not prussic. Because when I would settle down into the saddle it only left me with a few inches to pull platform up. Maybe make my tether longer to get the prussic higher? I usually keep tether just above my head.

If you don’t like the foot straps where you have them, move them closer to the tree, not the other way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe it was that I was moving tether up but not prussic. Because when I would settle down into the saddle it only left me with a few inches to pull platform up. Maybe make my tether longer to get the prussic higher? I usually keep tether just above my head.

Don’t be afraid to really push away from the tree as you lift your knees to pull the platform up. I get about 18” per move. I’m pretty flexible, so maybe that helps.

It is not obvious from the picture so I just wanted to ask if you have a way to tether the platform to yourself? So that the platform can’t fall too far.
this is actually the pic i was sent before the trade, i havent taken a pic of it myself yet. I didnt tether it to myself, because the way the guy made the footstraps, it would take a bit to shake it off. i also climb on my safeguard so i could easily rappel down and srt/lwhc back up to height if i needed

Don’t be afraid to really push away from the tree as you lift your knees to pull the platform up. I get about 18” per move. I’m pretty flexible, so maybe that helps.

Thanks for that idea. I really like the idea of using a hand climber. I will have to practice some more. Unfortunately, Im a thick boy and not especially flexible

I’m pretty tempted to combine rappeling with my LWHC. So far the climb down is usually so easy that I can’t justify it, but it sure would be fun!

I’m pretty tempted to combine rappeling with my LWHC. So far the climb down is usually so easy that I can’t justify it, but it sure would be fun!
I'm comfortable with rappelling from doing 1sticking, so I just carried it over. I like the comfort have multiple routes of escape if I have a failure or issue of some sort.

I rarely use it for the purpose of a lineman, but I carry one with as well, it usually serves as my gear hanger

I shorten the bridge to the shortest possible setting. That way, I can get three moves on the tether with ropeman 1 before I have to move the tether up to the highest possible setting. Then repeat... doing this, I can get about 3 ft elevation bear tether move. Makes sense?

I hijacked the bungee from an old Summit climber to attach the LWHC to my saddle. That way if for some reason it fails to connect with or attach to the tree, and my feet happen to come out of the foot loops, or the foot loops break or something it won't fall that far and will be seemingly easy to retrieve. That's the plan anyhow.

I hijacked the bungee from an old Summit climber to attach the LWHC to my saddle. That way if for some reason it fails to connect with or attach to the tree, and my feet happen to come out of the foot loops, or the foot loops break or something it won't fall that far and will be seemingly easy to retrieve. That's the plan anyhow.

A static rope (doesn’t need to be very strong) is a better choice than a bungee to retrieve a fallen platform. The stretch in the bungee will inhibit you. When it falls, it usually catches with the teeth pointed to the ground. It can actually be tough to get it back up. I have had to rappel down to get mine before-even though it was tethered to me. I have a better foot loop system now and haven’t had it slip in probably the last 100 climbs.

Being new to the whole saddle game (use a jx3), with this method are you able to sit down in the saddle unhook the LWHC from the tree and go around limbs or are you strictly limited to straight trees with no limbs?
I have a hand climber that isn’t getting much use now and wouldn’t mind swapping out sticks for this method.

Being new to the whole saddle game (use a jx3), with this method are you able to sit down in the saddle unhook the LWHC from the tree and go around limbs or are you strictly limited to straight trees with no limbs?
I have a hand climber that isn’t getting much use now and wouldn’t mind swapping out sticks for this method.

You could un hook it to go around limbs, similar to a one stick climb. Make sure it’s tethered to you or you have a plan if it drops!

You could un hook it to go around limbs, similar to a one stick climb. Make sure it’s tethered to you or you have a plan if it drops!

Was going to use the straps that come from the factory that hook the top and bottom pieces of the climber together. Mount one on the jx3 and leave the one on the hand climber

I can go around limbs pretty easily. I just climb until the LWHC is right below the limb. Then I uncam one side, let the climber hang below me while I straddle the tree or stand on the limb if it’s thick enough. Pull the climber up and reconnect. Stand on climber and proceed.
Tether and LB must be disconnected/moved up just like it would with sticks or steps when encountering a limb.
Having said all that, if I’m on private, I will sometimes saw the limb off of it makes sense.

A static rope (doesn’t need to be very strong) is a better choice than a bungee to retrieve a fallen platform. The stretch in the bungee will inhibit you. When it falls, it usually catches with the teeth pointed to the ground. It can actually be tough to get it back up. I have had to rappel down to get mine before-even though it was tethered to me. I have a better foot loop system now and haven’t had it slip in probably the last 100 climbs.

Appreciate the tip.
Thanks!
You think static paracord would do the trick?

It's totally doable - it takes practice. I would not want to have to do it on my first hunt, in the dark.

Back