• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mad Rock Safeguard vs Beal Birdie

With the Safeguard being unavailable currently, I am looking into alternate options for one stick and rappel. The Beal Birdie seems similar but I haven't seen much about it. Anyone with experience with both or either want to spread some knowledge?

I just received my Petzl Grigri which I think is similar to the Birdie. The main difference ( as I understand it) is that the Birdie and the Grigri have a spring loaded mechanism that unlocks the brake when the system is not loaded. If you maintain a consistent load on the system, it works the same as the Safeguard. A similar item would be the Lifeguard. The rope rating for all of these is 8.5-8.6 mm (ish) but the reports I have seen indicate that an 8 mm rope, such as Oplux, can be used safely with them. I’m planning lots of tinkering around at 4 feet or so to really get a handle on the device prior to going to full hunting height.

Do a search for the word birdie. I had the same question a couple of months ago. There is more info on here about it than I realized. It is just buried in a bunch of random posts/threads.

Do a search for the word birdie. I had the same question a couple of months ago. There is more info on here about it than I realized. It is just buried in a bunch of random posts/threads.
Yes, I am seeing that now. guess i should have looked harder. I hate asking questions that have been asked over and over.

I use the madrock safeguard with Oplux ...its the nutz!...holds partway down to grab my platform and squirrel steps off the tree...the rappel the rest of the way down...no slippage whatsoever...you can tie a knot in the rope just below the device so it doesnt go through ...IDK if mfg rating is for oplux or not...but I know a bunch of guys that have been doing this and they turned me onto it...Its fast and easy and seems very safe to me

Are any of these devices MFG rated for 8mm?
No. Safeguard down to 8.1, grigri and grgri+ down to 8.5, grigri2 down to 8.9 and birdie down to 8.5. people, however, have used each on 8mm and have posted having success. Your decision to use one out of spec is your own, if you do, your family can't sue the manufacturer if you have an accident.

Last edited:
No doubt about that. Having used both, I can’t imagine going away from Grigri+. Can’t say the same for the other model of Grgri though, for our application.

Why do you like it better than the Safeguard? I am wanting to get either one for repelling and tired of waiting on the safeguard.

The Grgri+ is smoother in its operation than is the Madrock. The Madrock safeguard tends to be either on or off when you’re rappelling. It takes some getting used to for smooth controlled rappel. The grgri+ also has a panic feature. If by some chance you pull hard to open and un-brake, it actually brakes the rope. Wide open on a safeguard will take you for a fast ride.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Grgri+ is smoother in its operation than is the Madrock. The Madrock safeguard tends to be either on or off when you’re rappelling. It takes some getting used to for smooth controlled rappel. The grgri+ also has a panic feature. If by some chance you pull hard to open and un-brake, it actually brakes the rope. Wide open on a safeguard will take you for a fast ride.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find the safeguard pretty smooth as long as you keep a good firm grasp on the brake strand - probably more demanding of this than a Grigri. I feel like you can get the "on/off" feeling...but really only if you're not adequately controlling the brake strand the way that you should. If you're keeping that proper firm grasp, you're much less likely to take a fast ride. It's NOT a pull-to-descend lever (like I've seen some refer to it as).

It's not the device and rope that keep you safe...its the thing between your ears that keeps you safe...use it!

Back