• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Make a scope recommendation for me - Cz 455 Varmint 22lr

MJH

SH Member
OK guys, I just got my hands on a Cz 455 Varmint in 22lr. I intend to use the rifle at the range and for small game hunting (rabbit & squirrel). In truth, I didn't want the varmint model (because I would have rather not had the weight on the heavy barrel for hunting) but this became available at a price I couldn't resist. Anyhow, thus far I am more than pleased with it.

I have my own views on optics, but for the purpose of being open minded I figured i'd ask for some opinions. Keep in mind, I have never owned a 22lr with a scope, only iron sights. In this case, assume the budget is flexible (but be reasonable, don't be suggesting a Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender).

With all this said, tell me what you think:
- 2x7, 3x9 or other?
- Model?

What is working for you guys?

Nikon prostaff rimfire. Get the new one with adjustable parallax. I bought mine just before they launched it.

I like 3-9x40, but keep it parked on 4x most of the time. Waterproof, shockproof, fogproof, and nitrogen purged are all non-negotiable to me. I tokerate the multiple crosshairs on my nikon, and don't care for adjustable turrets. Sight in at 50 yards and let'er rip!

I have a leupold vx3i 1.5-5 on mine cz 22lr. Love it and like nutterbuster said mine usually stays around 4 power. I like that it’s small and lite.

Reactions: MJH
@Nutterbuster The BDC reticle on that Nikon drives me nuts. I have never used it, but have done on my buddy's .270. The circles are too big/bulky and obscure what I want to be looking at. Everything else seems just about right...

https://www.cabelas.ca/Content/filemanager/Images/nikon_bdc_150_reticle.jpg
Like I said, I tolerate it. That scope would be perfect in my mind if it just had "normal" crosshairs. Price is right, glass and prisms are good, build quality is good, and adjustable paralax is very nice on a rimfire scope. They done good.

Really wish I had waited 3 months to buy mine.

I like the simple reticle too. Not only on a 22lr but every gun. The thin standard Leupold is my current favorite.

I just looked at the scope @Oakridge posted. Nothing wrong with a Leupold in my book. I do think they occupy a weird price point, but I've been happy with every one I've ever looked through.

My only recommendation is to keep in mind that a 20mm objective lense is going to cut down on your field of view and light gathering potential. Light gathering is more of an issue for deer hunting in my book, but a large FOV is very nice on a squirrel scope. They can be hard to get a scope on, even if they're sitting still.

I totally agree with you @Nutterbuster the small lense could pose a problem with low light or field of view. I actually had the scope laying around since I bought it for a 3006 I had. I’ve just grown fond of it since putting it on my CZ!:)

f0f4cac255f3189d6e67ab3d521192f5.jpg

You won’t be disappointed.

Not a bad suggestion yet. Leupold, Nikon, and Vortex all make excellent optics. 2-7x32 is a very good middle-of-the-road choice. I like 3-9x40 because yay for more light and fov, and because that way I'm small and large game hunting with a similar rig (bolt action rifle with same size scope.) Bit it's more than you need.

Make sure that you at least get a scope with the parallax set at 50 yards if you can't get adjustable. I hate blurry squirrels at 20 yards.

Also, pony-up for a nice set of rings and base. One piece steel is sexy and bulletproof. $12 aluminum Simmons are not.

A quality rimfire with a matching scope is a beautiful thing.

You can’t go wrong with 3-9 or 4-12. As it is a Varmint barrel you really might like to shoot for groups also. I’m a Leupold guy, that’s what is on my CZ455. But I really like the Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4-12 with Nikoplex reticle too. And the Vortex is great quality also.

Leupold rifleman in 3-9x40 or a Redfield revolution in same power. The Redfield on my deer rifle is super clear and the crosshair is a duplex.

Adjustable parallax is nice. 3-9 is enough magnification for squirrel hunting. Back when I shot smallbore silhouette I liked having target turrets and would snipe crow out to around 200 yards with relative consistency. I despise target turrets on a hunting rifle if they don’t have caps. I have a Nikon p300 on my blackout. There’s been several times I looked down and the turrets had turned. Not far but then you wonder did whatever snag it lift up and just turn the knob or did you move the crosshairs. The only reason I would want at least 3-9 on magnification is it’s really nice when you have one flattened out on a limb in the top of a tree.

Well karma sure is a bitch. I had the deal all worked out on this rifle with this guy. There was a fairly heavy snowfall this week, so I arranged to close the deal this weekend after the roads were better. Sure enough, he let me know yesterday that he was selling the rifle to his brother!

There was nothing I could do - I hadn't put any money down on it... DAMN!! Thankfully there are more fish in the sea...

Anyone want to weigh in on CZ455 vs CZ457?

Mines a CZ 452 synthetic, it looks like it’s discontinued. I can speak for them as a quality gun and how well they shoot. I really like mine!

Mines a CZ 452 synthetic, it looks like it’s discontinued. I can speak for them as a quality gun and how well they shoot. I really like mine!

The 452 has a great reputation. Some folks like them better than the 455.
The new 457 has a different safety, 60 degree bolt and a couple of other minor changes.

Just my two cents... the 452 is better than the 455. I own both and the fit and finish on the 452 is a lot nicer. Can’t wait to try a 457

Back