• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Making sausage

swampsnyper

Knocked out the last of my deer meat I had set aside for sausage. Made almost 100#s today. Jalapeño and cheese sausage, Bacon Cheeseburger sausage, jalapeño bacon cheeseburger patty meat, and breakfast sausage patty meat.

4e147d97f8517f325e83b4adc8d75383.jpg

4d8d1702f2da2500cd33eae653b1b16e.jpg

382b8354d925a56751c66dd3a92f5def.jpg

cb40b1afe9a555794acc5fa8dabf08f8.jpg

8d8a6c1b5d99d1948c2f2efe082c53fb.jpg

5e4da9ad6edab79757dd9d8b342501fa.jpg

With all the distractions we have in life like facebook, snapchat, pinterest and whatever else people waste there time with, is it not incredibly fun and rewarding getting back to basics and do something like make 100# of sausage? Kudos man. There is no greater joy in life than scouting your prey, setting up a place to hunt, wait countless hours and harvest an animal. Then the real fun starts. Dressing the kill, getting it to your truck and hanging it at the house. Then butchering and preparing the meat. Finally cooking it and sharing it with family and friends.

My goal is to be able to retire soon and spend the rest of my days doing just what you did today. Love it @swampsnyper . Pete

Looks delicious! I haven’t used my stuffer in several years but really enjoy stuffing casings when time allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuffer? It’s the 5# cabelas stuffer.
Haha yea stuffer sorry. Nice hows it hold up? I got a 25lb stuffer with the all.metal internals and such. I read some hard reviews on cables and it turned me away

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

With all the distractions we have in life like facebook, snapchat, pinterest and whatever else people waste there time with, is it not incredibly fun and rewarding getting back to basics and do something like make 100# of sausage? Kudos man. There is no greater joy in life than scouting your prey, setting up a place to hunt, wait countless hours and harvest an animal. Then the real fun starts. Dressing the kill, getting it to your truck and hanging it at the house. Then butchering and preparing the meat. Finally cooking it and sharing it with family and friends.

My goal is to be able to retire soon and spend the rest of my days doing just what you did today. Love it @swampsnyper . Pete

It was a long day.

Are you using any specific recipes? I make bulk bacon burger often but never thought about adding cheese and putting it in a casing, sounds good!

Haha yea stuffer sorry. Nice hows it hold up? I got a 25lb stuffer with the all.metal internals and such. I read some hard reviews on cables and it turned me away

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It’s solid. Metal gears and the plastic plunger has a metal fitting in it that you screw it to the main threaded rod. I think the only thing I seen negative about it was people cranking down hard after it already bottoms out and that maybe breaking the threaded metal insert from the plastic plunger disk. I got it about 4 years ago. Still working like new. I think it’s the same one as LEM and Wesson, just made for cabelas. My meat mixer is 25#. Probably should have got the 25# stuffer. But it’s good enough. I don’t make sausage every day. Lol

Only thing I like better than making sausage is eating it. I had a professional, a local BBQ Guru tell one time me I did not have enough fat in mine. lol. He kept eating it. I asked what was up. He said the flavor was incredible, but still could use more fat. I chuckled and told him the flavor was from fat.

Only thing I like better than making sausage is eating it. I had a professional, a local BBQ Guru tell one time me I did not have enough fat in mine. lol. He kept eating it. I asked what was up. He said the flavor was incredible, but still could use more fat. I chuckled and told him the flavor was from fat.

Mine is pretty lean I guess. Unless I make some with bacon. I use bacon ends and pieces.
My base deer sausage is 60% deer, 40% pork. If I use a bacon recipe I use 60% deer, 20% pork, and 20% bacon ends and pieces.
Using bacon and high temp cheese jacks the price up. That cheese is $10/#. I figured it up today that my bacon cheese burger sausage is costing me almost $2/# for just the pork, bacon, and cheese. Not counting spices, casing, and butcher paper. And everyone knows we never ever ever add up what deer meat cost per pound.

For y’all sausage experts:

What makes the casing wrinkle like this

6dab4b0ab3bae0fbc63a527306efbe20.jpg

It was doing great until the last couple minutes on the grill. Still tasted great. Just cosmetic.

For y’all sausage experts:

What makes the casing wrinkle like this

6dab4b0ab3bae0fbc63a527306efbe20.jpg

It was doing great until the last couple minutes on the grill. Still tasted great. Just cosmetic.

No expert but I’ve had that happen before. Fat content, water content, and how full you stuff the casing can all effect the final look.

What @weekender21 said. Loads of fat can be a huge factor. I think it contracts as it cools. I ran into the same issue on a batch where I use pure pork fat from a pig we butchered.

Pete

I am making venison brats Thursday. Just 5 lbs or so. I have a fellow military buddy coming into town Friday. We are turkey hunting Saturday as deer season went out yesterday.

No expert but I’ve had that happen before. Fat content, water content, and how full you stuff the casing can all effect the final look.

I’ve had it happen with my 60/40 mix so I don’t think it’s too fat in my case. It was stuffed tight. Thought it was gonna bust in the grill so I don’t think that’s it. So too much water or too little?

I’ve had it happen with my 60/40 mix so I don’t think it’s too fat in my case. It was stuffed tight. Thought it was gonna bust in the grill so I don’t think that’s it. So too much water or too little?

I’d think too little but I agree with the above. Flavor is all that matters. I’ve never worried about it much. At 40% I’d bet that’s lean compared to most store bought sausages.

Back