• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Making strings

Micromanagement 335

I have been making my own since 08 when I got a blackwidow. The only string I have used is DF97. Wondering what string material is your favorite and why?

I have been making my own since 08 when I got a blackwidow. The only string I have used is DF97. Wondering what string material is your favorite and why?
I haven’t made any strings yet but have read about making them and watched some videos as well. I might go ahead and make a jig this weekend. What are the characteristics of the string you exclusively use?

I have been told by the string “experts” on other trad forums that you can’t make strings the way I do and I have been shooting them for almost 15 years and have never had one fail. I make 16 strand 2 bundle strings. 8 strands per bundle. 4 strands of Trophy and 4 strands of B50 or B55 per bundle. BTW, I shoot these on older “non FF” bows with 4 short strands of B50 added to pad the loops. Never had an issue.

I haven’t made any strings yet but have read about making them and watched some videos as well. I might go ahead and make a jig this weekend. What are the characteristics of the string you exclusively use?
I've made 3 using this method and they turned out great no jig needed! I accounted for a couple inches of stretch and finished the end rather than tying a bowyer's knot. I used b55, 2 bundles 7 strands each.

Last edited:
I"ve been using B50. IT just seems to work well for me.

I have owned and operated HCBstrings.com since 2015. There are a ton of string materials out there. They all have slightly different characteristics. My all time favorite is bcy x, but I was forced to search for another material due to it not being in production anymore. D97 is still a good string material. There is a reason that Black widow has used it for as long as they have. If I can help you with anything, please let me know.

@Heydeerman, when they said, "you can't build them like that", they were not saying it can't be built. They were saying it is not a common practice as you're building a string composed of two different materials with two totally different types of materials. To make it applicable to the saddle hunting world, it would be like using a static rope and a dynamic rope at the same time for life support. Sure, you can use them both, but only 1 of them is holding the weight(the static). Of course the string works, the 8 strands of trophy are more than adequate for the bows weight(obviously), but I would bet the b55 strands are holding little to no weight. Now, I would say the extra weight of the b55 is acting as a built in silencer.

I have owned and operated HCBstrings.com since 2015. There are a ton of string materials out there. They all have slightly different characteristics. My all time favorite is bcy x, but I was forced to search for another material due to it not being in production anymore. D97 is still a good string material. There is a reason that Black widow has used it for as long as they have. If I can help you with anything, please let me know.

@Heydeerman, when they said, "you can't build them like that", they were not saying it can't be built. They were saying it is not a common practice as you're building a string composed of two different materials with two totally different types of materials. To make it applicable to the saddle hunting world, it would be like using a static rope and a dynamic rope at the same time for life support. Sure, you can use them both, but only 1 of them is holding the weight(the static). Of course the string works, the 8 strands of trophy are more than adequate for the bows weight(obviously), but I would bet the b55 strands are holding little to no weight. Now, I would say the extra weight of the b55 is acting as a built in silencer.

Thoughts on BCY 8125? That's what my last two strings have been from. They added more than 10fps over Dacron.

I just checked out your website. Wow! It is very well put together with concise information and tons of customization. What a cool business.

You are correct. When the skinny string fad started a few years back I tried making them and I saw no advantage to them at all. By the time you built everything up there was really no difference. I started making these and they work. They just plain work. They come out nice and round and they are quieter.

You are correct. When the skinny string fad started a few years back I tried making them and I saw no advantage to them at all. By the time you built everything up there was really no difference. I started making these and they work. They just plain work. They come out nice and round and they are quieter.

Used to “skinny strings” were just a low strand blunt string made with a fat material, I.e. SBD strings. They build 6&8 strand strings made from d10(force 10) that are the same diameter as 12 strands of x and 16 strands of x99. “Skinny” is very subjective. I’m recent years they’ve developed the power grip line of serving and it’s larger than anything else made. To my knowledge, power grip .032 is the largest diameter serving material made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to “skinny strings” were just a low strand blunt string made with a fat material, I.e. SBD strings. They build 6&8 strand strings made from d10(force 10) that are the same diameter as 12 strands of x and 16 strands of x99. “Skinny” is very subjective. I’m recent years they’ve developed the power grip line of serving and it’s larger than anything else made. To my knowledge, power grip .032 is the largest diameter serving material made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So my string broke today so I’ll be needing one sooner rather than later. My bow is 58 AMO. Should I put down 55 ASL?

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I got all technical about it. Made my own jig. I’m not sure what I use but I haven’t bought a string in years. I came up With my formula and just stuck to it and forgot why I use what I use but I like them. I usually replace the string that comes with a new bow because I find mine quieter and faster. Maybe it’s all in my head. But stick with what works for ya. I make Flemish twist strings. 8 strands of df97 if I remember correctly. I Pad the loops with b55. Forgot what my serving is called. I have it all written down in a ziploc bag with the string material for when i decide it’s time to make one. Never had one break. I’ve stretched them to 300#s and left sit over night before, but just an hour is all I think it needs. I shoot at 55#s but have a short DL.

I make my own Flemish string for many years and used all kind of material from dacron to the most advanced uhmpe. My favorite is brownell's RAMPAGE (glad to see that they are back on the market).
There is a real advantage to use the thinnest and less elastic material to enhance bow performance (arrow speed & noise) especially if you shoot a super static recurve.
I use 2x7 strands of rampage to reach the 1000# static resistance limit, finished string diameter is about 1mm and I add 6 strands of B50 in the loops. A full B50 string equivalent would be 2x11 strands and 4mm diameter which would weight a lot more (direct impact on arrow speed)

I have been making strings for about 20 years and have only had one fail. I made it for a customer and I believe the serving cut it where I tied it off at the bottom end. I was using Diamondback material back then and it is kind of abrasive. It broke right at the bottom end of the serving and almost looked like it was cut and it happened within 20 shots. I either use nylon or spectra serving now.

I bookmarked HCBstrings.com and I will probably buy from you the next time I need a string. It's nice to have guys on here that we can buy stuff from. Better to buy from each other than to buy from some huge supplier.

So my string broke today so I’ll be needing one sooner rather than later. My bow is 58 AMO. Should I put down 55 ASL?

it really depends on what bow you have. If it's a LB, you're more than likely 55", but if its an old style recurve, 54.5". I may already have one made. Text me at 3185473756 if I can help you.

I make my own continuous loop strings. I was using 8125g but found it gets fuzzy quick in my experience. I’ve since started using Brownell Rhino. By far my favorite material. I find it a bit more durable and I’m experiencing less stretch.

Back