• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mantis is going to make my butt cold.

LiverEatingJoe

I haven't had a long sit in my Mantis yet but I can tell my butt is going to freeze. I know they sell that liner but:

a) is it really going to help? Have any of you tried it and noted a difference?
b) are there any options? Its only been about 40deg here but by next week it will drop below the 30's for sure.

I don't have a Mantis, but I never had a cold butt with my sitdrag and I didn't have any fancy under-quilt, I just layerd up, make sure your feet are good, cold feet will ruin any good sit, I carried some body warmers that I would put on my base layer in my jacket once I started cooling down. I did find that if you wait too long it's much harder to warm back up. For my feet I used toe warmers a nylon sock liner and a thick pair of wool socks.

I haven't had a long sit in my Mantis yet but I can tell my butt is going to freeze. I know they sell that liner but:

a) is it really going to help? Have any of you tried it and noted a difference?
b) are there any options? Its only been about 40deg here but by next week it will drop below the 30's for sure.

I get a kick out of the regional differences across the country and how we acclimate to our surroundings. In the 30's around here and I'd be wearing just a little more than what Blinginpse wears under his Mantis! ;)

I get a kick out of the regional differences across the country and how we acclimate to our surroundings. In the 30's around here and I'd be wearing just a little more than what Blinginpse wears under his Mantis! ;)

And if we hit the low 30’s before December here in Texas, the deer freak out and hunker down. I keep hearing these Midwest guys talk about big movement on day 1 of a big temp drop, but don’t see it here. I think because our cold fronts are always short, the deer just bed down and bear it knowing warmer weather is only a day or two away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not comfortable hunting until we're in the 30's. I walk in wearing just a long sleeve T until it gets below 30.

I have the heater and it's awesome. I cant think of a warmer option on the market for saddles right now. Easy to install and packs nicely. I hunt in MN but it hasn't been cold enough to really give it the true test. If I remember I'll circle back in 2-3 weeks once the temps start dropping and update the review. So far, I'm really happy I purchased it.

I get the concept of the heater, it's just like a hammock underquilt. But I've hunted down to 0 many times and my butt has never gotten cold. It's always my hands and feet!

Aree you getting hip pinch at all? How tight are the rest of your straps? where is most of the pressure? Are you leaning or sitting? I sat in freezing temps in my anderson a couple weeks ago with just chamois pants on and was sweating. Make sure something about your setup isnt cutting off blood flow.

I get the concept of the heater, it's just like a hammock underquilt. But I've hunted down to 0 many times and my butt has never gotten cold. It's always my hands and feet!

It’s the beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been down into the lower 30's a couple mornings with my Kite and have not felt the need for a bun warmer. I have lots of insulation there as it is though.

I don't get cold-butt or swamp-a$$ in my kestrel. Kinda surprising really.

I've also noticed that my legs and feet don't get as cold in the saddle. I was worried layering in the tree would be more of an issue than it is. I've sat in the teens with just lightly insulated pants and polypropylene long johns. As long as I have one of my good (Hell's Canyon or Arctic Shield) jackets on, I'm good down into the teens.

I attribute this to the active muscle engagement inherent to sitting in the saddle.

I just slip on my HBS and forget Im in a cold tree in Michigan. lol

The saddle is compressing any insulation you have in your butt, so no warm air can stay there. If you can block their air flow, you will see a difference.
The hammock underquilt is a great analogy, but a cheaper option I use is a 2x2' piece of 3mil plastic dropsheet for painting. packs down to smaller than a golf ball. Once I'm at height and can take weight off of my tether, I flatten it out and stuff it between my saddle and butt, so no cold air sucks away my booty heat.

My typical morning is in the high twenties. My homemade sitdrag has a piece of dense camping pad foam. It is oh so toasty. It adds a whopping two or three ounces though so most saddle hunters will get totally weighed down and won't be able to climb a tree :)

I have spent all day in a mantis in single digits. It isn't my butt that got cold. Your hands and feet are going to fail before your butt does.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back