• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Map Readers....

Jayo

You guys are better at topo maps than me. Just got granted permission on this small 60 acre spot. Going in blind for the season ... would you head straight to the NE area trying to catch bucks coming off that island or somewhere different? I believe the hunting pressure is somewhat low on the piece.

Attachments

• hunting location.PNG
    hunting location.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
Yeah
I would start in that saddle @Red Beard circled and scout from there. But only being 60 acres I would scout the entire property

Yeah - at 60 acres and less than half of it with cover, your best bet is to thoroughly scout all of it. The top central portion could be a travel corridor that funnels traffic. But trying to predict via topo/aerial is of little value when the parcel is small enough to completely scout in a day or less.

Walk everything. That NW corner looks awesome to me.
Also, the very SE corner could be a really Cool funnel right next to the road

That elevated ridge, those points/saddle and even the NW corner looks like it could have potential for bedding too.

Waste a morning and an evening. Go sit on the SW corner at sunrise and sunset with binos. Which way are the deer moving. Put boots on every inch of those 60 acres and mostly importantly, hunt the fresh sign. Let the deer dictate where you hunt, not guys looking at a topo map. We have good ideas, experience, and staring points, but let the deer dictate you.

Last edited:
Bring binos look for acorns and browse plants, there are likely spots in the creek/canal/ditch where they are crossing. Find that and you'll have some great info on where to setup on certain winds and where. Good luck!

I always like inside and outside corners especially small parcels with a lot of ag. Great rut funnels too for runners looking for doe groups. Quickest way to get from one woodlot or cover area to the other. Set up so your scent is blowing into the fields.

Quick glance I’d go left corner in those cedars and all around the habitat break on right

Redbeard picked a great looking funnel, there's one on the proprty boundary to the right that may be worth checking into as well, and that broken edge in the left corner looks promising as well, like a place a buck would herd a doe to come lockdown

Back