• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Marlyand sika deer

ThePennsylvanian

I'm looking for some help on planning a DIY to Maryland next season for sika. I understand folks are hesitant to give out much info. I want to hunt public, have a canoe, waders, and a drive to find em.
I have not been down to scout yet, I really don't even know of it's worth making a trip to go after them. I'm looking for some ideas on expectations, habitat, tactics, and general knowledge of public lands to begin on, if anyone is willing to share.

I was just reading a post yesterday over on Rokslide of a guy whose been after them for a half dozen years, has seen maybe 6, had three shots with the shotgun and has yet to connect. Said it is an entirely new level of frustrating. I wish I had info for you. Only thing I know about them has come from the episode the Meateater guys did down there.

I haven't done it but I keep my eyes and ears open all the time as I will eventually. Look into Blackwater

Scout, scout and scout more.. don't forget a ThermaCELL, waders and compass

Ever since Meateater did that episode it's way harder than it used to be. Crap marsh ground is selling for crazy prices and outfitters fill quick. Just like what happened in the Midwest years ago with whitetails, locals know non residents will pay big $. Best bet may be small parcels of private and knock on door permission

Back