• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Maryland Green Ridge camping/turkey hunt meetup?

thedutchtouch

SH Member
I believe some of you guys have done this before but I just mentioned this in another thread that I am thinking about going to green ridge state forest at some point in the next few months, I need to test out a tent and want to visit the rifle range there. Figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone would be interested in an off-season camping/hiking/fishing/shooting weekend, I'm thinking about March 18/19, April 1/2 or 15/16 at this point due to my custody arrangement.

Edit: turkey season --> 4/18-5/23 let's aim for a weekend in here, I can do my gear shakedown solo.

Would also be interested in later/warmer months as well, but I'll be going out solo/with my dog at least one of those weekends to test out this tent and some other gear before bringing it to Alaska to go bear hunting with my brother in late April/May so the clock's ticking for me.

If anyone is interested let's start talking details in this thread otherwise I'll just update this thread with my solo venture for now.

Full disclosure: I'm good to go re: camping but am a rifle newbie, if you show up I may ask lots of questions while I get familiar with my 22/350L.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I'd be happy to chuck my saddle gear or archery stuff/hickory creek mini in the truck if anyone wants to compare/contrast that stuff as well.

I’d be game for that but would love for it to be 4/18-5/23 that’s turkey season & you can only hunt until noon anyway, could hang out/ scout whatever in the afternoon evening. I know that may not jive with your Alaska plans so let me know.

I’d be game for that but would love for it to be 4/18-5/23 that’s turkey season & you can only hunt until noon anyway, could hang out/ scout whatever in the afternoon evening. I know that may not jive with your Alaska plans so let me know.
I won't be out there that whole time, so sounds great I can go camping more than once, and I didn't even think about gobblers. I think that's a bigger draw for folks than just plinking so will update the title

I could possibly figure something out that weekend prior, but would need to find a kid that want to turkey hunt for that 4/15 weekend. Youth season opens up. Not that I wouldn’t want to hang out but man gobbling turkeys that time of year is hard to compete with, only got so many days….

i made a trip out today to the shooting range today, good times. its a bit of a far drive for a day trip but i wussed out on camping this weekend and still wanted to shoot. i'll be back.

i made a trip out today to the shooting range today, good times. its a bit of a far drive for a day trip but i wussed out on camping this weekend and still wanted to shoot. i'll be back.
I shot a decent buck 15-20 years ago right next to that gun range, slipping through mid morning not paying a bit of mind to all the rounds cracking off all morning

I’ve never set foot on Green Ridge. I’ve thought about it over the years but it’s so hard to drive an hour through public to get to public.
By the time I got home (hour and 45 min one way) I had pretty much justified to myself paying dues for one of the Izaak Walton leagues that's ~45 minutes from me, my larger issue is they require you to show up for meetings and range officer trainings and the dates aren't compatible with my custody schedule, so need to get a babysitter and all that and that process will likely take a few months before I can shoot solo, so I'll be driving to this one or potentially up to elk neck in the mean time. It was an interesting experience, Overall very positive, the range seemed nice enough but definitely looks like it gets heavily used (target hangers were pretty ragged) and there was a large group there not causing issues, generally friendly, but definitely not following the some of the range rules ( mag dumping at close steel targets for example). Nothing that made me feel unsafe, I set up at the far left end and they were at the far right on the pistol side for the most part. they were very good at ensuring when everyone knew the range was hot/cold and with muzzle direction, which are the two real important rules. I didn't say anything/don't want to seem like I'm complaining here because I'm not a Karen, just wanted to relay the full newbie experience, I'm guessing most public ranges have their fair share of rule breaking/bending I just don't have a lot of experience to compare to.

The company didn't turn me off, the drive back in particular was a bit long, so that's why in future trips I'll likely camp and visit the range in one trip.

I'll keep following this. Our camp is about half hour over the PA line from Green Ridge and my buddy spent the whole COVID season down there. I struggle enough to kill one in PA but sometime between now and 2025 I intend to get my MD tag and hit the gree ridge.

You should just come up to Elk neck. Think it's $50. For a yearly permit. I live about 5 minutes from there. I do all my shooting in my yard or down at a local gravel quarry that I have permission on.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

You should just come up to Elk neck. Think it's $50. For a yearly permit. I live about 5 minutes from there. I do all my shooting in my yard or down at a local gravel quarry that I have permission on.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Elk neck is a hour and 30 from me, green ridge is hour 45. I have GR the nod because it doesn't require driving through Baltimore traffic but I will check it out one of these days.

By the time I got home (hour and 45 min one way) I had pretty much justified to myself paying dues for one of the Izaak Walton leagues that's ~45 minutes from me, my larger issue is they require you to show up for meetings and range officer trainings and the dates aren't compatible with my custody schedule, so need to get a babysitter and all that and that process will likely take a few months before I can shoot solo, so I'll be driving to this one or potentially up to elk neck in the mean time. It was an interesting experience, Overall very positive, the range seemed nice enough but definitely looks like it gets heavily used (target hangers were pretty ragged) and there was a large group there not causing issues, generally friendly, but definitely not following the some of the range rules ( mag dumping at close steel targets for example). Nothing that made me feel unsafe, I set up at the far left end and they were at the far right on the pistol side for the most part. they were very good at ensuring when everyone knew the range was hot/cold and with muzzle direction, which are the two real important rules. I didn't say anything/don't want to seem like I'm complaining here because I'm not a Karen, just wanted to relay the full newbie experience, I'm guessing most public ranges have their fair share of rule breaking/bending I just don't have a lot of experience to compare to.

The company didn't turn me off, the drive back in particular was a bit long, so that's why in future trips I'll likely camp and visit the range in one trip.
If you need a bite to eat there’s a good little spot about 10 mins from the range called road kill cafe right across the PA line

Back