• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mass PLC 2021

Patriot

Hey everyone this is our separate thread for planning our mass public land challenge.

online research shows me that all state camp sites close before season. The .gov website stinks so maybe that’s old data from 2020 when covid had more of an impact on sites. I will make some phone calls.

Alternatively I found a number of private sites for reasonable fees, many of which take groups. I will have to make phone calls bc some of them are hippy type folks so I want to make sure we are transparent with them on who we are and how we utilize crocs, diapers and a stick and string with tremendous lethality so that everyone is on the same page and we don’t get any grief or cause the site owners anxiety.

So I kinda need a headcount to try and find a site that works for our group.

can folks please chime in if they are a definite or a maybe?

Assumptions right now:

Location - western/central mass near Quabin. It just so happens the vast majority of private sites all seemed to be in that location. Feel free to offer up different ideas though. But we need tent and vehicle sites for our trucks.

Date - weekend of October 22nd

I'm in for this. I've done a little camping out that way, but always on .gov land. I think you're right that the state camping ends middle of October, so would probably want to focus on private sites.

This should end up being a really fun weekend. Even though I'm in state, I don't make it that far west to hunt so this will be a new challenge for me. Hope we can get a good group together, have a really good time and maybe learn a thing or two from each other.

I would definitely be up for it, but will be in NY the wknd of the 22nd.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

As far as I know, this didn’t end up happening this year. There was some discussion of starting the planning earlier in 2022 (summer?) and making it happen next year though. Probably early October event date.

There hasn’t been one before, this would have been the first. The initial plan was central Mass, somewhere near the Quabbin. @Patriot am I missing any info here?

It’s my understanding that Quabbin is only open to hunt by special permit, for the first 10 days of December. The permits are easy to get with a simple application.

There is a ton of public out in that area though. Was using the Quabbin more as a geographic marker rather than the specific area we would have hunted.

The biggest issue was that camping on state land ended around 10/11. We didn’t get a plan together in time, so would have had to camp on private which was more challenging to get together.

I just found this too.

We used to camp in the State park at October Mountain? It was a very long time ago. I remember the park was closed but we could camp there because we were hunters and it was free.

Back