• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mathews TX-5, anyone? HELP ME DECIDE!

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
I've been searching high and low for a bow that has the speed I want with a short ATA and short (26.5) draw length. After watching some videos, it looks like the 2019 Mathews TX-5 fits the bill. The problem is none of the dealers in my area have one I can shoot. Have any of you shot one? What's your feedback? Any and all reviews welcome.

TX5 will give you speed at the expense of shootability. I am not a fan of a 5” BH for a hunting bow, honestly don’t even like 6”, but deal with it as it is the norm now. If you have perfect form and can guarantee that you can keep sleeves, gloves, jacket out of the way it will shoot. That speed has to come from somewhere, and they are getting it through the power stroke. I shot one as it was on sale and bought a VXR, because I didn’t have an elite dealer nearby. Otherwise I’d have a Kure by now.

I use to shoot the Mathews Black Max it had a brace height of 5 inches . Those short brace height bows are very touchy to shoot. I would stick with a bow with a longer brace height you'll be happy you did.

Odd question/question of ignorance, but isn’t the TX-5 a rebranded Triax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I think the brace height is the only real difference. I’ll know soon, as I just picked up a TX-5 off of eBay. Got a good deal, so worst case scenario I sell it and buy the V3.

I got my TX-5 and holy cow! This thing is super fast, dead in the hand, smooth to draw, and an absolute tack driver. Holds steady with that long riser. And the 5” brace height is not an issue at all, probably bc I’m only a 26.5 in draw. If you’re a short draw guy looking for a bow optimized for shorter draw lengths, I highly recommend this bow.

Back