• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mathews VXR versus V3 advice

Topdog

SH Member
So I have always bragged on this forum and to my friends how I will never switch bows, my old Mathews FX still kills deer and why change a good thing, well I called my dealer to ask about dropping my old bow off to get a new string, and now I’m thinking it’s time to upgrade instead of dumping money in my old stuff, I can just keep it as a spare, I’m left handed, he has both the V3 27 and 31 in stock, and he also has a brand new left over model VXR 31.5 he said he would make me a deal on, I didn’t get numbers yet, I’m going to just stop in soon, so what do you guys think, is there enough improvement on the V3 to skip the VXR or if I can save a couple hundred $$ should I get the VXR, you tell me, I haven’t researched new bows in over 20 years and the only thing I know is I’m sticking with Mathews because I have no reason to switch and excellent dealer support, for reference my draw length is 29” and my old bow used to be set at 72 lbs, he said I could shoot anything I wanted, if I do this and buy a new bow I will have to start from scratch and buy everything which is fine I want to keep my old faithful as a backup, I called my hunting partner up and he agreed it’s time for me to move on and said maybe I could trade my old stuff in , I told him never..... LOL

If you shot other bows you might have a reason to switch…lol. I waited 17 weeks for my v3. It’s certainly not the smoothest or my favorite.

I was in the same boat , finally pulled the trigger on a VXR and I haven't regretted it . I absolutely love it and as far as I can tell there is only a couple small differences in the V3 , personally I'd save the money and get the VXR but it's all up to you man . Either way I think you'll love it

I was in the same boat , finally pulled the trigger on a VXR and I haven't regretted it . I absolutely love it and as far as I can tell there is only a couple small differences in the V3 , personally I'd save the money and get the VXR but it's all up to you man . Either way I think you'll love it
My thoughts exactly, I’m gonna shoot them both but that’s the way I am leaning right now!

I'm not sure as I've gotten away from Mathews a bit but they are great kit. The only thing I can think of is the new integrate dovetail for a QDA rest. I'm not sure the VXR has that but the V3 Certainly does.

I'm not sure as I've gotten away from Mathews a bit but they are great kit. The only thing I can think of is the new integrate dovetail for a QDA rest. I'm not sure the VXR has that but the V3 Certainly does.

VXR does . Only "big" difference is the roller is exactly in the center of the strings . Which I've seen a lot of people have trouble with there rest hitting so I'm not sure I would even call that an upgrade

I just hunt, the only other shooting I do is preseason practice, I really like my old whisker biscuit rest, is there any reason I can’t just put another biscuit on this new bow, I know a brand new $1k bow with such a simple rest will probably look ridiculous but otherwise what should I get, I only take shots out to about 30 yards on deer, is there any advantage to me getting a drop away rest.

I just hunt, the only other shooting I do is preseason practice, I really like my old whisker biscuit rest, is there any reason I can’t just put another biscuit on this new bow, I know a brand new $1k bow with such a simple rest will probably look ridiculous but otherwise what should I get, I only take shots out to about 30 yards on deer, is there any advantage to me getting a drop away rest.

I ran a biscuit on mine all last season if that makes ya feel any better . Who cares what "looks cool" biscuit is the most reliable rest ever made I don't care what anyone says

If you care about a tiny bit smoother draw and a tiny bit lighter bow, go V3. But, The 31.5 is a great bow that most people would not tell a difference in shooting between the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a biscuit on mine all last season if that makes ya feel any better . Who cares what "looks cool" biscuit is the most reliable rest ever made I don't care what anyone says
I agree 100%, what quiver are you running?

I’m still waiting on my V3 should be here in a week or so... but I think it’s more dead in hand.

27 my twin and I purchased the v3 27 75lbs 29” draw and my younger brother got the v3 31 75 lbs because his draw is 30.5”
We shot the VXR last year and thought it was nice but after shooting the v3 we all bought one.

I personally got the V3 27 and sold my VXR 28 for the reasons I stated above. Not a huge difference, but enough that I noticed and preferred the V3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The v3 and vxr are both good shooting bows. I think the v3 is a smooth bow but stiff all the way through. I don’t think you can go wrong but the riser length of the v3 is impressive. My 31 feels like a 34” bow. However, I always fall back to shoot both and choose the one you like.

The whisker is tried and true. And nobody cares what rest you have.

But I will say that if I see a guy with a new bow, a whisker biscuit and an EZV, I know he’s an assassin and not just buying what the market is pushing. Plus nothing can really go wrong with a whisker biscuit and EZV site compared to a drop away and pins. (No, Not saying pins and drop aways are bad or don’t work etc, just saying there are no moving parts on a WB and an EZV).

If you're interested in a full capture style rest but are running pretty stiff fletching say like zingers or something like that, you may want to consider NAP's Quick Tune 360. It is also a simple but robust full capture rest but you shoot through openings instead of through whiskers like the venerable WB. If you would consider a change up for a rest, I like the new Hamskea Primer. It is Hamsea's more budget friendly limb driven drop away and has all the robust features of the Hunter and Trinity but not all the bulk and price. I think LAS has them for like $129.

The whisker is tried and true. And nobody cares what rest you have.

But I will say that if I see a guy with a new bow, a whisker biscuit and an EZV, I know he’s an assassin and not just buying what the market is pushing. Plus nothing can really go wrong with a whisker biscuit and EZV site compared to a drop away and pins. (No, Not saying pins and drop aways are bad or don’t work etc, just saying there are no moving parts on a WB and an EZV).

Just what's being pushed on Saddlehunter.com :tearsofjoy:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've run Whisker B., QAD, Ripcord. I've looked at Hamskea. Woodsdog2's advise is sound.

Biscuit can be sensitive to torque. Doesn't seem like you've experienced that, so you should be a-ok staying with one so long as the bow fits you well. For non-elevated hunts with thick brush or tall grass, I like that option.

Fall aways resolve some torque and improve speed. As mentioned above, they add another mechanical component. I have had a Ripcord develop a sluggish drop while in the field. Nevertheless, that was after over 10 years of hard use. Never had to adjust the rest year-year. I'm running a new model and it has a better sealed bearings construction and seems hardier.

I tend to run the same or similar components on my primary and backup gear. Not sure if thats something that matters for you.

Good luck on your bow selection. I ended up with a Switchback XT when I went in to get a backup Legacy. Shot every brand, every bow in the shop, and it was best of class for me. Still, having that Legacy saved me when the Ripcord rest started acting up. It is still good enough that I didn't rush the Switchback XT back into service....and ended up taking my two biggest bow bucks with it. So keep that FX at the ready.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on whats new to market. I'm sure these new toys are impressive.

Back