• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Maybe the most important 1 sticking mod noone talks about

bfriendly

I have watched so many videos on one sticking, but never saw anyone use this mod. In a post on here about really something else, I saw a big black gear tie on top of someone’s stick to use as a handle. EUREKA!!
No doubt the hardest part of 1 sticking is reaching down, grabbing and raising that stick. With an extended handle it’s so much easier! Sorry I can’t remember who I stole the idea from, but if anyone else does this, I’d love to see the way you do it. Here is my new mod on my favorite stick, which is 36” and has a single step aider.

72CC41CD-ECAF-4BBF-8420-2F4BE0C1C18A.jpeg3E57676F-E9C8-4AD3-B3E9-832440056A8F.jpegD94F135A-500F-4846-AD78-D827062A03AB.jpegE28E7134-B158-4765-9B34-02FAFCE65A21.jpeg10D46154-5487-44A3-901E-54EF78B2F854.jpeg

This is the newbie section so in case someone hasn’t done this, I thought I’d post it. Most videos I’ve seen, guys are lifting their stick with their foot, reaching down and grabbing it. I’ve gon so far as adding a versa button(previously removed) to the top of my stick just to heave something to hook my foot on. I’ve been reaching down trying to grab the top step……thanks for the input attack mode. I guess some things are so obvious no one would ever think to not do it. Still, as many pictures I’ve seen of one sticks, I’ve only seen the gear tie handle 1 time…..once, dh

lol not sure...but it's good you made a post for the future 1 stickers to reference

I have watched so many videos on one sticking, but never saw anyone use this mod. In a post on here about really something else, I saw a big black gear tie on top of someone’s stick to use as a handle. EUREKA!!
No doubt the hardest part of 1 sticking is reaching down, grabbing and raising that stick. With an extended handle it’s so much easier! Sorry I can’t remember who I stole the idea from, but if anyone else does this, I’d love to see the way you do it. Here is my new mod on my favorite stick, which is 36” and has a single step aider.

View attachment 59000View attachment 59001View attachment 59002View attachment 59003View attachment 59004
Looks like an awesome setup. I'll have to throw this in my memory bank. Thanks for sharing.

Pardon this if it seems abrasive, it’s not meant to be that way-

what do you do in the event of a dropped stick. Repel down?

Most people that one stick have a line that they use while climbing that is also used as a rappel line or the carry one in addition. Most use a Madrock Safeguard or a figure 8. Look on YouTube there are plenty of videos. Good luck.

Most people that one stick have a line that they use while climbing that is also used as a rappel line or the carry one in addition. Most use a Madrock Safeguard or a figure 8. Look on YouTube there are plenty of videos. Good luck.
Exactly. Don't attempt to one stick unless you A. Have a rappel line available to deploy OR 2. Really practice one sticking back down the tree which is very doable, but it sucks compared to rappelling down. However, everyone should probably practice doing in case they have to. I've practiced it and the one take away is that you have to micro move your stick back down the tree in much smaller increments than going up. But again, it can be done just a royal Pain in the butt!!

I’ve dropped a few things and was able to fish them up using my bow let down and rope assist getting down paracord line. I put an S hook on the end. I use several for my gear hangers so I just used one of them . The pack of cigarettes was unretrievable but I tried like hades! I carry everything the tree with me and walk in carrying only my one stick. Other than quick access to some evercalm stick I rub around, I walk up to tree, hang stick and throw my tether around my neck, ready to climb first stick.
the long gear tie at the top of stick really helps you to grab it without leaning way over, even though your saddle is very conducive to letting you bend way over if you just relax and hang. Once you grab it, you’ll hang on pretty good. I like to put mystick attachment cord on a good slope downward as it will let the stick come further up the tree when you pull on it. The cam cleats release smooth if you can pull the cord out just a touch versus trying to snap it out sideways…..they don’t like to let go that way stuffing 3/16” amsteel in there.

Exactly. Don't attempt to one stick unless you A. Have a rappel line available to deploy OR 2. Really practice one sticking back down the tree which is very doable, but it sucks compared to rappelling down. However, everyone should probably practice doing in case they have to. I've practiced it and the one take away is that you have to micro move your stick back down the tree in much smaller increments than going up. But again, it can be done just a royal Pain in the butt!!

Its not my intent to try. The piece I wasn’t seeing in the process until researching was the retrieval rope. I don’t know that going up would be that much fun for me but coming down like Spider-Man… who wouldn’t like that?

Let me clue you in to a little secret here…..there are things we don’t talk about in public. Dropping the stick is one of them.

Pretty much everything that involves an additional descent, and subsequent ascent, of the tree falls into this category, lol.

Because your handle is “bfriendly”, like you’re trying, but you’re not quite there yet. If it was “ibfriendly” you would know about this already.
Dang it man….never thought of it as a statement but now I’ll never be able to look at it the same. Thanks brah! Everything I do is about being friendly. I am a professional and do it for a living too.

b5f2ece36e80495a4bd8c994102d35ed.jpg

I use a longer stick and use the top as a handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to say it, but everyone uses that mod already

I see a lot using gear ties but I think the OP is talking about using the mega nite ize. It really does make a huge difference. Makes everything a lot easier then the floppy things.

Back