• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Megatarp-Inspired Build

4090Sharps

SH Member
Since @thedutchtouch suggested I do so, figured I would go ahead and share last weekend's project--a Kifaru Megatarp inspired build based on plans found here: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/diy-megatarp.34165/

My primary tent is a Kifaru Sawtooth, but since I'm usually hunting and camping alone, wanted something a little smaller and lighter. At first I was going to make a 10'x10' tarp and call it good, but wanted a bit more space for my gear. Given that this is for solo use, I don't have any true need for a zippered opening at the rear of the tent, and omitted that feature. Later on, I may opt to add a zippered door to the front.

My first pitch is pictured below, not the best, but it works. I took it into the mountains and slept in it Sunday and Monday night. It worked well, even in strong winds and temperatures dipping down to ~23F.

I intended to use 1.1 oz silnylon for this build, but since I also had 1.6 oz HyperD PU4000 on hand, decided to use it instead. The HyperD fabric has a minor weight penalty, but feels tougher and is much easier to work with. I'll save the silnylon for that 10'x10' tarp that I'll eventually find myself sewing.

Materials:
1.6 oz HyperD PU4000

1" Orange grosgrain

1.5 mm Poly/UHMWPE Reflective Cord

MSR Groundhog and Mini-Groundhog Stakes

Construction:
  1. Cut out the two halves of fabric (see Rokslide link for pattern)
  2. Glue down reinforcement pieces along the edges (all reinforcements used contact cement, then were sewn)
  3. Hem the outside edges
  4. Use flat felled seam folder to join the halves with my double needle machine (this step sucks with such a light fabric)
    1. You could also do this, from RSBTR DIY instructions 1668722840527.png
  5. Glue and sew on reinforcement patches for pull outs
  6. Glue and sew on reinforcement for trekking pole pitch
  7. Bartack down grosgrain for pull outs, stake points, and points on ridgeline to pitch on rocks/trees without trekking poles
  8. Seam seal (haven't done this yet)
  9. Eventually make a new stuff sack because the first one is a bit tight.
  10. Create a single-man bug mesh nest + floor for when the weather heats up and scorpions are out and about

IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4290 (1).jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 11
Very impressive stuff. From what little I know, between type of fabric and size and seam length/shapes you are a very skilled sewer/sewist.

Now let us all know when you're starting to sell em please ;)

Very impressive stuff. From what little I know, between type of fabric and size and seam length/shapes you are a very skilled sewer/sewist.

Now let us all know when you're starting to sell em please ;)
I think you mean Outdoor textiles fabricator and master of the thread injector. :cool:

Back