• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Merlin just came in

gameflogger

SH Member
I just opened my aerohunter merlin, it came usps priority mail today. My first thoughts are thst it seems pretty comfortable, I sat in the yard for a few minutes. My initial concerns about the 1” webbing arrangement causing concentrated pressure points seems to be a non issue. Overall it feels pretty comfortable, but I really won’t know until I have sat in it all day.

Sizing seems great, the webbing bridge is boocoo long if fully extended. After I sit in it for a couple hours if I decide to keep it I will probably shorten the bridge tag end.

Sizing seems great, the webbing bridge is boocoo long if fully extended. After I sit in it for a couple hours if I decide to keep it I will probably shorten the bridge tag end.
Was wondering, thought I read fully extended it goes to like 40 inches but could not confirm.

I use one of those little webbing keepers to deal with excess bridge (on my Kestrel) without snipping.

I ordered the Flex last week. Ready to try it. I guess it’s similar, just not mesh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the flex, the model without dual loops. It's and excellent saddle and well built. Thinking about having the mesh version for September through mid October in KY. We have had warm weather up until now, and the mesh is a little cooler. And when the temp drops, the fabric does help.

When I had my previous gen flex, the bridge was ridiculously long also. I have a Merlin on order now and to be honest, I’ll probably be taking the factory bridge off and making a rope bridge for it. I don’t personally need an adjustable bridge, I can shave some weight and bulk and not have the adjustability that I never use anyway.

The elastic one?
The notched plastic and bungee ones...

ic9ntFF.jpg

It makes a nice "preset" to when transitioning from climbing/rappel length to hunting length. I just let it out until it hits the bundle of webbing, and I'll be at my typical comfortable length. Still have all the original webbing in the off chance that I need it.

The notched plastic and bungee ones...

ic9ntFF.jpg

It makes a nice "preset" to when transitioning from climbing/rappel length to hunting length. I just let it out until it hits the bundle of webbing, and I'll be at my typical comfortable length. Still have all the original webbing in the off chance that I need it.

Good idea

Anyone else get theirs in for a review?
I have a few hunts in mine, very comfortable. I didn’t think I would like the webbing bridge but it slides around very smooth. Also the flex area in the mesh seems to be tighter than my flex. I like this better, I always felt like the flex was trying to open.

So I sat a few hours in the merlin, it is very comfortable, I am a 50/50 sitter and leaner and it is great for both. One thing that I am concerned with is the pleat portion with the mesh. I am curious if it will continue to maintain a pleat in the future after the mesh has stretched a little. I will say Aerohunter saddles are top notch quality. I am not a huge fan of leg straps at all, and the only complaint that I have is that while walking in the leg straps are annoying if they are tight and rattle if they are loose. I think I will make elastic bands to go around the leg strap buckles so I can leave them loose while walking in without rattling. I will have a few more sits in the merlin this weekend so I will add any new likes/ dislikes to this post.

So I sat a few hours in the merlin, it is very comfortable, I am a 50/50 sitter and leaner and it is great for both. One thing that I am concerned with is the pleat portion with the mesh. I am curious if it will continue to maintain a pleat in the future after the mesh has stretched a little. I will say Aerohunter saddles are top notch quality. I am not a huge fan of leg straps at all, and the only complaint that I have is that while walking in the leg straps are annoying if they are tight and rattle if they are loose. I think I will make elastic bands to go around the leg strap buckles so I can leave them loose while walking in without rattling. I will have a few more sits in the merlin this weekend so I will add any new likes/ dislikes to this post.
I have a Flex, and I accidentally walked in with the leg straps snapped but not around my legs. They were snapped behind my legs. I even hunted and didn’t realize it until I finished hunting. My last two hunts I intentionally did this for the walk in to hunt. When I get to the base of the tree, I just unclip one put it around my leg and reconnect. I then do the next leg strap. Doing one at a time eliminates the buckle ends from clacking together. It worked out well and I may continue to do this. Eliminates the straps on your legs when walking in and they hang silently behind you.

Back