• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Michigan: North Manitou Island Backcountry Hunting/Camping

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
Has anybody ever hunted or looked into North Manitou Island in Michigan? I was thinking about going the second week of October this year. Let me know if you're interested in going, I think it would be a blast. It's probably the most backcountry hunting opportunity Michigan has to offer.

-15,000 acres
-$25 dollar application
-No bag limit, deer harvested on the island don't count against your mainland tags
-2015: 61 people applied/got permits, only 49 hunted(I assume most were firearm), 32 deer taken, 21 were bucks
-Bow: October 1 through October 28, 2016
-Firearm (Muzzleloader and Rifle): October 29 through November 13, 2016

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/nmihunting.htm

Well if you want to cancel one of your other trips let me know. From the application, it looks like you still need to get a Michigan license even though it doesn't count against your numbers.

Looks like this might slip to 12-16 October, my wife seems to think family events and weddings of people I barely know take precedence over attempts to connect with my inner caveman.

BCHunter said:
Looks like this might slip to 12-16 October, my wife seems to think family events and weddings of people I barely know take precedence over attempts to connect with my inner caveman.

My life story. And then I get crap for complaining about things that are scheduled during hunting season!

Back