• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Milkweed of the South

Bhatcher

Thistles are the milkweed of the south. Ok so not sure if milkweed actually grows in the south here in Arkansas but I haven't seen any but I kept seeing little seeds floating around in the air. Being the inquisitive type I hunted down the source. It was some sort of thistle but they floated like milkweed. Should be easy enough to store in a bag or film canister sized plastic container.

PLEASE don’t!! I spent many hours of my childhood digging up those things, clipping the heads and keeping the seeds in a bag so they wouldnt spread more on the farm. I wouldn’t want any other kid to have to do that lol

Also, idk about Arkansas’s but I’ve got plenty of milkweed in KY

I get my milkweed from road side ditches here in Central Arkansas. Usually can salvage 3 or 4 pods a year that the bush hogs miss

Thistles are the milkweed of the south. Ok so not sure if milkweed actually grows in the south here in Arkansas but I haven't seen any but I kept seeing little seeds floating around in the air. Being the inquisitive type I hunted down the source. It was some sort of thistle but they floated like milkweed. Should be easy enough to store in a bag or film canister sized plastic container.

There is definitely milkweed in the south! In fact, I don’t believe there is more than a couple states that don’t have a native species of milkweed.
Keep on searching!

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Star Thistle is like a plague out here in California. I don't know how bad the other varieties are but I wouldn't want to spread any of it.

Try using a cotton seed. They stay together well. All you have to do is take a small pinch. It’s a little heavier than the milkweed but After a some experimenting you will find the right amount.

I actually took a short cut through a field back to the truck last night and stumbled across a huge amount of milkweed in the middle of an overgrown field. Hundreds of pods. Looks for fields that haven't been bush hogged and you may find some

Milkweed of the south.....I thought the dandelion was the milkweed of the south! You mean to tell me I have been picking a handful of dandelions on my way in to the stand and sitting in the tree blowing the tops off of them for the last several years and have been wrong? Embarrassed! lol

Milkweed of the south.....I thought the dandelion was the milkweed of the south! You mean to tell me I have been picking a handful of dandelions on my way in to the stand and sitting in the tree blowing the tops off of them for the last several years and have been wrong? Embarrassed! lol
I did this as a kid and still do. Nothing wrong about it, and nothing more fun than than setting a bunch of dandelions loose and watching em float.

Back