• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Milkweed

JRobBowers

I have heard that you can pick milkweed pods a bit early and dry them out by placing them on your dash! Wondering if this is too early or if I just need to let them dry out?
0a57c87eac45348a301a2a0a8ee53c03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Split one open to see if any fluff is in there. If it’s empty give it a few more weeks and pick some more.

I wait to pick them until they turn a bit purple.

I would advise against putting them in your truck. One time I had a bug hatch/swarm a few days later and one time I had the pods dry out and had milkweed floating all over my car.

toss them in a paper bag in your garage or basement.

^^^ LOL
That reminds me of when my buddy's kid found a so-called 'praying mantis pod'.
I figured for sure the kid was full of 'it.

About a week later we had 3 million baby praying mantis' in the house...

Last edited:
How long do u guys recommend letting them dry? I’m working on some myself.

If u have it in ur area just wait and go grab it the day before u use it…. There’s more growing on the edge of a pond in my neighborhood than I could use in 10 seasons

Back