• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Milkweed?

greg728

SH Member
Sorry if this isn’t the appropriate forum but I’m curious if anyone has any milkweed they can spare. I’ve tried to find it near me but I haven’t had any luck. I’ve looked in all the places everyone’s mentioned but I’m having a tough time locating any.

I have enough to last two lifetimes. When I finally open the pods i scatter the seeds in a field so they may grow again for the monarch butterflies. I’m in sw ohio, where are you located
I’m in southeast PA. I’ve checked ditches and field edges all around me but I haven’t found any. I’m buying this stuff similar to milkweed called phase on Amazon but it’s $15 and it lasted two hunts. It works it’s just an expensive option long term

Go to butterfly effect milkweed website, I bought one of there milkweed holders and it works awesome. Best thing to hold and use milkweed.

I was outside playing with my daughter this afternoon watching bubbles float on the breeze for 50 yards or more… just wondering if they have a smell that bothers deer…

I'm seeing a crap ton of milkweed along the road (NW Ohio) but no pods. Am I too late to gather them? Perhaps someone else already did...

I'm seeing a crap ton of milkweed along the road (NW Ohio) but no pods. Am I too late to gather them? Perhaps someone else already did...
N. Central Ohio and checked it yesterday. It's still too green. I've found it's more fluffy if you wait till they crack open as opposed to pulling it green and drying it. I pull mine after it splits open and dry it on the dash of my truck in the sun. A pod will last a whole year. I use this coin purse for carry. One zip tied to bow and one to pack.Resized_20221003_072422_6231.jpeg

Last edited:
N. Central Ohio and checked it yesterday. It's still too green. I've found it's more fluffy if you wait till they crack open as opposed to pulling it green and drying it. I pull mine after it splits open and dry it on the dash of my truck in the sun. A pod will last a whole year.
You have to keep a close eye on it if you want to wait that long to pick it.
It can split open in a day. I've seen it happen and I missed picking a patch

You have to keep a close eye on it if you want to wait that long to pick it.
It can split open in a day. I've seen it happen and I missed picking a patch
Yep. I have too. Also found some w/no seeds on the fluff. I love to watch it float through the trees. You know you can throw it and make it go the way you want ???? Anytime you run short on supply I'll send it to you to distribute.

Yep. I have too. Also found some w/no seeds on the fluff. I love to watch it float through the trees. You know you can throw it and make it go the way you want ???? Anytime you run short on supply I'll send it to you to distribute.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind but I don't foresee running short for a few years (at least). I always seem to pick more each year than I actually ship/use. My supply is growing every year! lol.

Back